Massive accusations in iBurst, ICASA battle

RichardG

Honorary Master
70 engineers working all weekend ??

Did they've necessary backup of each switc/router

This has been ongoing and WBS/iBurst have always denied it. Amazing how much spectrum they owned

Executive Member
This is the beginning of a long costly legal battle on both sides.

<sarcasm> Ah, TAX money well spent! </sarcasm>

RichardG

Honorary Master
Do you think cables weren't damaged or labelled?

I am not an expert or anything but I am sure in the real world you would need to have backup of each switch/router image in case mother nature actually causes harm example fire, weather, etc.

Maybe they needed 10 technicians at each site where they removed equipment.

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
They also caused serious damage at the company’s data centre, where they vandalized equipment, ripping off servers and router switches worth millions of Rands
Good thing we've got such a fine regulator supporting the development of our local ICT.

savage

Expert Member
The regulator is hardly to blame here. WBS was, and still is, in the wrong...

Why must everyone EXCEPT WBS pay license fees?

kripstoe

Expert Member
I don't know all the details of this case, but ICASA does seem like a bunch of thugs if they ripped equipment from the data center.

daveza

Honorary Master
I don't know all the details of this case, but ICASA does seem like a bunch of thugs if they ripped equipment from the data center.

I think we've only heard one side of this incident.

Perhaps the opportunity was given to iBurst to accompany the sheriff and disconnect their own equipment.....

I just can't see that a sheriff, who probably thinks a switch is for turning lights on, would even know how to disassemble a server rack.

I think iBurst are exaggerating x10.

kripstoe

Expert Member
I think we've only heard one side of this incident.

Perhaps the opportunity was given to iBurst to accompany the sheriff and disconnect their own equipment.....

I just can't see that a sheriff, who probably thinks a switch is for turning lights on, would even know how to disassemble a server rack.

Agree. But stranger things have happened in this country. :)

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
Oh definitely. You don't confiscate core equipment though - not unless you want to ruin the business. You just can't run a business if your core routers may or may not be there.

Yeah - ICASA should go after them, but not like this. Sue them if necessary. Now we've got iBurst suing the regulator...and still no money.

Nessie

iBurst is just trying to make as much noise as possible.

Which is stupid as they just keep on drawing attention to the illegal microwave network they're running and the fact that they don't have the 60 to 100 million they owe ICASA.

Right now every Broadlink customer is looking for alternatives as they know the links will go down again. This will kill WBS as it's the only money making unit in the group.

deweyzeph

Executive Member
ICASA is nothing but a mafia organisation and licensing fees are nothing but extortion. We don't need a regulator, why should anybody have to pay licensing fees in the first place? Let the industry regulate itself. The private sector is more than capable of handling spectrum allocation itself. The government including ICASA and the Department of Communications are so absolutely grossly incompetent that no regulation would be infinitely better than their incessant meddling.

Executive Member
The regulator is hardly to blame here. WBS was, and still is, in the wrong...

They are both in the wrong. WBS for license costs and ICASA for handling this in very poor way. I don't see ICASA busting down telkoms doors. Wouldnt surprise me if that spectrum is allocated to sentech or telkom in the near future once iburst is dead.

waynetalb

No, the right question is why should anyone to have pay license fees in the first place?

Sorry, but that is completely incorrect. A limited commodity such as radio spectrum has to be regulated - as it is in 90% of the World. The issue of fees charged, spectrum management etc is a different debate.

W