Massive Android vulnerability means hackers can take over your smartphone

Ivanr

Expert Member
Android once again with the Samsung?LG etc. Boys in blue from the marketing agency with one agent in every cell phone shop punting this dangerous open source Android OS.

Last edited:

ijacobs3

Expert Member
i still wonder if vulnerabilities like this exist for apple? yes, there is the odd bug that crashes messaging, but nothing that exposes my data to hackers, as far as i know..

Lazy

Oh dear, it's a bit frequent now isn't it?

i still wonder if vulnerabilities like this exist for apple? yes, there is the odd bug that crashes messaging, but nothing that exposes my data to hackers, as far as i know..

Apple wouldn't be immune at all, security vulnerabilities are par for the course and a lot of priority goes toward reducing that risk for any product of this nature.

BUT, given that Android fragmentation is completely out of control, it's a disaster waiting to happen. Comparatively speaking at least.

icyrus

Executive Member
Apple wouldn't be immune at all, security vulnerabilities are par for the course and a lot of priority goes toward reducing that risk for any product of this nature.

BUT, given that Android fragmentation is completely out of control, it's a disaster waiting to happen. Comparatively speaking at least.

Apple's great advantage is their ability to patch their phones as soon as they can.

Lazy

Apple's great advantage is their ability to patch their phones as soon as they can.

Absolutely correct. While an Android patch has to span hundreds of different companies who manufacture hundreds of different variations of devices, Apple only has to focus on at most a handful of products.

Spliffcat

Executive Member
Oh JC here we go again. Build your own Roms FFS. Cynogen etc. Or if you are not capable in other words mentally challenged (stupid) a bit of reading on the xda forums will teach one something.

Lazy

So unless you're big into sideloading apps from dodgy sources, there's not much to worry about.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...-hackers-listen-conversations-steal-data.html

Not entirely. The vendor of the phone installs what you are referring to as sideloading apps as well. I'm looking at one of my MeGo tablets right now, it has an entire suite of apps installed on the tablet that is "standard" for the device but not for Android. Similarly, Sumsung does it, LG does it, Vodacom does it, etc etc. The list goes on.

From the article you referenced:
Millions of Android phones at risk from software installed by handset makers

So the key here is "installed by handset makers" as much as from unofficial app stores...

In addition, while the article states that the risk is the same for Apple and Android due to unofficial app stores I very strongly disagree. On an iOS device, in order to use an unofficial app store, you have to circumvent the entire way an iOS device works by Jailbreaking it. While the more tech savvy users can do it, the average user can't and certainly don't. Android on the other hand is pretty happy to accept whatever app store and app you chose to install and anyone can do it. So jailbreaking an iOS device, is simply not comparable to allowing an Android device to trust other sources even though the net result is the same thing: you have an open and unlocked phone.

Last edited:

Biscuit1018

Expert Member
Oh JC here we go again. Build your own Roms FFS. Cynogen etc. Or if you are not capable in other words mentally challenged (stupid) a bit of reading on the xda forums will teach one something.

Of course everyone on mybb could get Cybogen etc.
When did that become remotely the point?
- Being able to root phone doesn't make you smart. It makes you technically able to perform a simple task
- Many, many smart people don't love tech. They want to buy a phone that is secure
- Even technically smart people - many can't be bothered with the task. Personally I can think of better things to do with my time.

d7e7r7

Executive Member
So what's the "cure"? I downloaded the app and it scanned and said I'm vulnerable...

Spliffcat

Executive Member
Of course everyone on mybb could get Cybogen etc.
When did that become remotely the point?
- Being able to root phone doesn't make you smart. It makes you technically able to perform a simple task
- Many, many smart people don't love tech. They want to buy a phone that is secure
- Even technically smart people - many can't be bothered with the task. Personally I can think of better things to do with my time.

Could not be bothered.
Buy a cheap pos just to do calls.

genetic

Honorary Master
While the more tech savvy users can do it, the average user can't and certainly don't. Android on the other hand is pretty happy to accept whatever app store and app you chose to install and anyone can do it. So jailbreaking an iOS device, is simply not comparable to allowing an Android device to trust other sources even though the net result is the same thing: you have an open and unlocked phone.

Android by default does not allow unauthorised app installations - although it is easier to circumvent the built in "firewall" in android, to sideload apps, you'd be considered an advanced user, thus understanding the risks involved.

Lazy

Android by default does not allow unauthorised app installations - although it is easier to circumvent the built in "firewall" in android, to sideload apps, you'd be considered an advanced user, thus understanding the risks involved.

There is just no comparison between changing a few settings or clicking "allow" on a popup prompt versus the complicated process to jailbreak an iOS device. There's really no basis for a disagreement here...

Additionally, you are ignoring the fact that default Android installations come with bundled side loaded apps that are not "standard" for Android because every vendor loads their own. Those apps are vulnerable which is what the articles in question stated and those apps don't exist on iOS.

Last edited:

Spliffcat

Executive Member
Exactly, the freedom of open source.
If you don't know what you are doing don't do it.
Like all the big 4x4 drivers in a city. 90% of them don't know how to use it.

ijacobs3

Expert Member

:wtf:

thats like buying a brand new audi, only to rip it apart and putting pink seats... makes perfect sense

genetic

Honorary Master
There is just no comparison between changing a few settings or clicking "allow" on a popup prompt versus the complicated process to jailbreak an iOS device. There's really no basis for a disagreement here...

I'm not comparing anything to iOS. You're the one bringing up iOS...

Lazy

I'm not comparing anything to iOS. You're the one bringing up iOS...

You quoted the articles drawing attention to the comparison in your very first post. That is the "context" of what we are discussing.

zippy

Honorary Master
The holes are getting bigger and bigger...

The holes have always been there. Criminal cyber gangs have been making bucket loads of cash form Androids vulnerabilities.

Although Apple shouldn't get too complacent. Increasingly now they are targeting iOS more and more.