Massive broadband and hosting outage at Vox Telecom

Local SA

From a Business Point of View, it's BAD. No-Backup Plans? No Alternatives in place. We are experiencing huge Loss-of-income for the last 4 hours

VERY FRUSTRATING ..... and Vox people "could not be reached..."

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
Switch at Teraco failed, it has been replaced and they are switching everything over.

From the NH forums.

unskinnybob

Expert Member
All my hosted kit experienced dirty shutdown around 1PM. Looks like this was all brought about by a power failure. Lots of worried faces running in and around hosting.

Jan

Drifting in the black
Switch at Teraco failed, it has been replaced and they are switching everything over.
All my hosted kit experienced dirty shutdown around 1PM. Looks like this was all brought about by a power failure. Lots of worried faces running in and around hosting.
These are two very disparate reports.

For both to be true it could be that the switch issue must be what caused the broadband outage, and the power issue the hosting outage?

Or was there a double-whammy switch and power failure?

Kingofmybbknowitalls

Only Monday and something already is "Massive". :D

We only had one or two such headlines last week.

And no, no problems on Vox ADSL as far as I can tell.

Last edited:

Paul_S

Expert Member

From the NH forums.
Single point of failure?
If a single switch failure brings down your network then your design is flawed.

unskinnybob

Expert Member
These are two very disparate reports.

For both to be true it could be that the switch issue must be what caused the broadband outage, and the power issue the hosting outage?

Or was there a double-whammy switch and power failure?
I host at Scott street. No way a switch at Teraco causes network wide failure or hardware restarts.

whatwhat

Executive Member
And this is one of the reasons Azure isnt in SA yet. Our hosting providers are a little too much Mickey Mouse.

Jan

Drifting in the black
I host at Scott street. No way a switch at Teraco causes network wide failure or hardware restarts.
My thoughts exactly.

Maybe a switch did go down, but it's impact was minimal compared to the power disruption.

zaannyy

Yes, Diamatrix sites are also down, including my virtuals... afternoon off for me.