Massive credit bureau data breach exposes personal information of as many as 24 million South Africans

"D"

Expert Member
Using “very smart social engineering techniques”, the perpetrator put himself forward as a known customer of Experian and “contracted with us in the normal course of business”, Ferdie Pieterse, CEO of Experian, told Bruce Whitfield during an interview on 702’s The Money Show.
“In that way (he) illegally obtained the records of 23.4 million individuals.”

“None of our systems were either penetrated or hacked,” Pieterse confirmed.
Oh, you've been penetrated, all right ... right between the f*cking ears.

Scooby_Doo

Executive Member
At this point, information on every person in the country is out there already.

RandomGeek

Expert Member
Did the greedy bastards sell their whole database to someone, and only then realized it was a potential fraudster? Doenst look like any hack here more like they willingly handed over data...wow...

Vrotappel

Bulls fan
Do we know when this happened?

Somebody made a purchase with my credit card details in Kenya on the 18th. Another attempt was made for a purchase in California.

Asgard85

Do we know when this happened?

Somebody made a purchase with my credit card details in Kenya on the 18th. Another attempt was made for a purchase in California.
Sorry to hear about the fraud on your credit card - having dealt with identity theft myself I understand.

According to Experian the scammer was located and his hardware impounded and the data deleted. They say that their "investigations do not indicate that any misappropriated data has been used for fraudulent purposes." so I would suggest that perhaps your problem is not related and you should be talking closely with your bank.
Good luck.

Vrotappel

Bulls fan
Sorry to hear about the fraud on your credit card - having dealt with identity theft myself I understand.

According to Experian the scammer was located and his hardware impounded and the data deleted. They say that their "investigations do not indicate that any misappropriated data has been used for fraudulent purposes." so I would suggest that perhaps your problem is not related and you should be talking closely with your bank.
Good luck.
I also don't think it is related. One just wonders how this happens.

garp

Executive Member
So.. obviously they would have handed over the information if it was a paying customer since collecting that data is their business model. From Experian's point of view, the only problem here seems to be that they gave the data to someone who wasn't a customer. So it's not like all of that information is not available anyway, so long as you pay for it.

muzee

Seems information stolen relates more to personal data (Name, address, contact details and ID numbers). I assume with this information identity theft is more at issue. I know you get free annual credit reports (in terms of legislation) from each of the main credit bureau's ( Experian, TransUnion, Compuscan and XDS ), but what are the most cost effective solutions to get "live" alerts everytime there is an enquiry on your credit status?

Sargeant

Is it just me but, I don't see the point of changing all your login passwords unless you are so obvious with it that knowing your Name, birthday etc. makes it possible to work it out?