Massive e-toll price cuts announced by government

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Hmm, thus far it's cost me nothing. How can you get less than nothing?

Electron1

Expert Member
Outstanding e-toll fees will be linked to the license renewal system, he added, saying that road users will have to settle their bills with Sanral before new license discs will be issued.
So they are going to scr*w us now by license renewals.

ndlovue6

This is Bull. There should be some law to protect us

"Outstanding e-toll fees will be linked to the license renewal system, he added, saying that road users will have to settle their bills with Sanral before new license discs will be issued."

daveza

Honorary Master
Going to be millions of unlicensed drivers in the future.

ellyally

Expert Member
This is Bull. There should be some law to protect us

"Outstanding e-toll fees will be linked to the license renewal system, he added, saying that road users will have to settle their bills with Sanral before new license discs will be issued."
Indeed, I expect some court cases in the near future to protect us against this. Its like linking my phone bill to licence renewal, not going to go down well

AstroTurf

Lucky Shot
The tariffs for light motor vehicles will be reduced from 58c/km to 30c/km, said Ramaphosa.

Light motor vehicle drivers will also enjoy a reduced monthly cap of R225 per month, down from the usual R450.
Bait em, hook em, cook em.

Motorists will have to pay their outstanding e-tolls upon renewal of vehicle licences, Ramaphosa said, “creating a solid link between road users and the e-toll system”.
Outstanding e-toll fees will be linked to the license renewal system, he added, saying that road users will have to settle their bills with Sanral before new license discs will be issued.
Was waiting for this...
That is going to cause many many un-roadworthy vehicles...

At least
Road users will also be granted 30 free gantry trips per year.
Means I will be paying bugger all anyway and might even use roads with gantries once in a while.

Xzib1t

Expert Member
Motorists will have to pay their outstanding e-tolls upon renewal of vehicle licences, Ramaphosa said, “creating a solid link between road users and the e-toll system”.
That would be worrying for people in JHB surely? Can they blacklist you if you don't pay your etoll fees?

Hmm, thus far it's cost me nothing. How can you get less than nothing?
Won't they owe you money?

SeanJ

Everytime I hear e-Tolls I have to ask "They still around?"...

mister

Executive Member
So not only have e-tolls been scrapped, but they have also scrapped license renewals. Awesome!

daveza

Honorary Master
Ramaphosa: Yes people believe they should pay for the use of the roads - the panel found, but e-toll system places a disproportional burden on lower income people.
The panel lied.

cozinsky

Expert Member
Isn't it illegal to tie it into the licensing?
No, why should it be? I totally endorse this. The prices have been drastically reduced so there is no excuse not to pay tolls. If you can afford to drive on the roads, you must be able to afford to pay tolls. The fact that it is now linked to licensing means there is no way out. The free ride is over.

Rabobi

Executive Member
No, why should it be? I totally endorse this. The prices have been drastically reduced so there is no excuse not to pay tolls. If you can afford to drive on the roads, you must be able to afford to pay tolls. The fact that it is now linked to licensing means there is no way out. The free ride is over.
Gold star for you