Massive Garmin South Africa hack exposed customers' credit card details

Bradley Prior

MyBroadband Journalist
Staff member
Super Moderator
Massive Garmin South Africa hack exposed customers' credit card details

Customer data for purchases made through the Garmin South Africa shop has been stolen, according to a notice sent to affected users by the company on 12 September.

"We recently discovered theft of customer data from orders placed through shop.garmin.co.za (operated by Garmin South Africa) that compromised your personal data related to an order that you placed through the website," Garmin SA managing director Jennifer van Niekerk told customers.

wernervn

Was the information stored in plain text? Probably :-(

And why did they store the CVV??? Rank amateurs!

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master
Was the information stored in plain text? Probably :-(

And why did they store the CVV??? Rank amateurs!
we apologize for this incident and assure you that Garmin takes our obligation to safeguard personal data very seriously

Wat? Clearly you don't Garmin otherwise you wouldn't have made such a monumental error.

Corelli

Expert Member
What? They didnt even encrypt their users' banking information? Seriously I would happily launch a class action against them. This is a serious breach of PPI information and if someone lodges a complaint which I will. It could lead to a 50 million fine for Garmin SA

mr_norris

Expert Member
Smartphones are dirt cheap, why buy a garmin?

And you dont need data to use it.

I bought a garmin watch so I could listen to music while I run without having a phone jumping around in my pocket. Also, YOLO!

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
I bought a garmin watch so I could listen to music while I run without having a phone jumping around in my pocket. Also, YOLO!
iu

Urist

Expert Member
Which is why I never keep a lot of money in my credit card, also it's at a very small credit limit to the annoyance of ABSA who calls me almost every month to try and get me to raise my limit.
Only enough to buy a plane ticket, pay unisa or the odd game on steam.
Eventually someone who has your details gets hacked.

Thor

Honorary Master
They stored credit card details?! Please tell me someone is European, the GDPR would end them.