Massive Garmin South Africa hack exposed customers' credit card details

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Smartphones are dirt cheap, why buy a garmin?

And you dont need data to use it.

Because if you are truly interested in navigation, a proper GPS is much better than any look-alike attempt available on a cell phone.

envo

Expert Member
If they valued their customers they would have taken their security and privacy more seriously and not have to put the onus on the client to now cancel their credit card in fear of possible fraudulent transactions.

djEJ

From what I remember, you are not allowed to store the PAN in plain text along with the CVV. One or the other is allowed, but not both together (unless it is encrypted using a decent encryption that is not reversible).

I think Garmin is in line for a nice fine with this one and reputational damage. Hopefully they do the responsible thing and fully disclose what happened and why in order to try to redeem themselves.

Jola

Honorary Master
Did they give a time period for affected customers, I bought something from them just over 2 years ago ?

I have not received an e-mail.

wernervn

Did they give a time period for affected customers, I bought something from them just over 2 years ago ?

I have not received an e-mail.
If you still use the same credit card I would be worried.

Are you really going to wait for an email from the same people who couldn't be bothered to safeguard your sensitive credit card information?

Jola

Honorary Master
If you still use the same credit card I would be worried.

Are you really going to wait for an email from the same people who couldn't be bothered to safeguard your sensitive credit card information?

Yes, I agree, I just have to check whether the credit card has been renewed, I can't remember and the current card doesn't show a start date.

Jola

Honorary Master
Yes, I agree, I just have to check whether the credit card has been renewed, I can't remember and the current card doesn't show a start date.

I checked, that card is still in use. Cancelled it.

Going to cost me R140 for a new card, thanks Garmin !!!

Dal1

Surely they are not allowed to store CVV numbers???
If I recall, I think I paid using PayU instant EFT.
I normally only use direct bank transfers, but the option was not available, only credit card or PayU.
I replaced my card yesterday at a cost of R65 (Capitec). If it was my Absa card it would have been R140, not to mention the time wasted by going to the bank.