Massive growth in online shopping in South Africa

Chevron

Serial breaker of phones
Nice to see competition for Takealot.

Although Raru's numbes are probably from a very small base.

Thor

Honorary Master
Would be interesting to see the daily figures of how many sales the respective places do

Chevron

Serial breaker of phones
Would be interesting to see the daily figures of how many sales the respective places do

Not too hard. Since they all work with sequential order numbers, place an order at 00:01, then place another order at 23:59.

TheGuy

Expert Member
Takealot rocks used them a few times over the last couple of days and no problems to report.

MagicDude4Eva

Banned
Not too hard. Since they all work with sequential order numbers, place an order at 00:01, then place another order at 23:59.

Just remember: An order placed is not necessarily an order fulfilled (i.e. non-payment). Some sites can not do multi-product orders (i.e. Groupon) and each product ordered is presented as an individual order. It is quite normal to do 2000-3000 orders per day (about 3-5 orders per min).

Order throughput is not linear - days before payday volume increases and tappers off 10-14 days after payday (= peak period). Obviously there are the seasonal peaks and December volumes will be 3-5 times your regular volumes. January is typically a disaster (back to work, school fees, insurance goes up etc). Any month with family-holidays (April - easter / August - school holidays) is typically slow.

It is however amazing how sales grows despite the country falling into recession and payments shift from cash/EFT to credit facilities nowadays.

Chevron

Serial breaker of phones
Just remember: An order placed is not necessarily an order fulfilled (i.e. non-payment). Some sites can not do multi-product orders (i.e. Groupon) and each product ordered is presented as an individual order. It is quite normal to do 2000-3000 orders per day (about 3-5 orders per min).

Order throughput is not linear - days before payday volume increases and tappers off 10-14 days after payday (= peak period). Obviously there are the seasonal peaks and December volumes will be 3-5 times your regular volumes. January is typically a disaster (back to work, school fees, insurance goes up etc). Any month with family-holidays (April - easter / August - school holidays) is typically slow.

Yes on all of the above. I was assuming he would take the above into account :)

It is however amazing how sales grows despite the country falling into recession and payments shift from cash/EFT to credit facilities nowadays.

I think it's more with being comfortable with buying online. Many people that weren't comfortable buying online years ago, are now ok with it.

Also compared to retail, online is relatively insignificant. Easy to get big numbers off a small base.

MagicDude4Eva

Banned
Also compared to retail, online is relatively insignificant. Easy to get big numbers off a small base.

A few more online outlets are going to shut down by June - I think most know who the strugglers are and it is just a matter of time until the last cash dries out until it is over. Some other big surprises will happen during the same time and users will just shift from one platform to the next.

I just find it very bizarre that none of the traditional retailers (perhaps Makro is closest to it) has been able to go properly online. One retail group decided to group all their outlets into "one unique shopping experience" and it has turned out to be a disaster. I am still surprised how Look & Listen manages to hold on as a retailer. I have yet to find a valueproposition to order online from Jet (http://www.jetonline.co.za/), Sportsman's Warehouse (http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.co.za/) and some offerings are just very odd - like this one from Truworths (https://www.truworths.co.za/item-delivery)