Massive increase in "tap-and-go" card payments in SA

Lupus

Honorary Master
Fun fact I learned last Saturday, you can't use tap to withdraw cash at a till at Checkers, you have to physically insert your card.
Was quite annoying when I only have my phone with me. (FNB)

I think for 150%+ it's justified...
Yeah have learnt that lesson a few times as well :-(

Gudnews

And here I thought "damnit, just when I discovered the thing", because I thought the price was increasing.

Gaz{M}

Executive Member
Don't you just love it when you go to a large, franchised retailer and they say "sorry, no tap n pay, insert card".

Like you have billions of revenue but can't replace your POS devices or card machines 5 years after the technology launched.

eg2505

Honorary Master
Don't you just love it when you go to a large, franchised retailer and they say "sorry, no tap n pay, insert card".

Like you have billions of revenue but can't replace your POS devices or card machines 5 years after the technology launched.
maybe its a anti fraud technology?
so somebody doesnt steal your card info from a tap and withdraw money

or maybe their systems arent built to allow tap and go to work at checkers?
and it was just "tacked" on but not properly implemented?

milomak

Honorary Master

frustrates me to no end

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming

The old POS devices support it, just need to be updated.

Checkers took really long to update there devices.

Charlesjjm

Samsung Pay FTW! I only use my card to pay at Clicks and for my parking at the mall. Everywhere else, I use my watch to pay.

Happy Days

Fun fact I learned last Saturday, you can't use tap to withdraw cash at a till at Checkers, you have to physically insert your card.
maybe its a anti fraud technology?
so somebody doesnt steal your card info from a tap and withdraw money

or maybe their systems arent built to allow tap and go to work at checkers?
and it was just "tacked" on but not properly implemented?
The same applies at PnP as well; definitely a security measure.

ld13

Honorary Master
My taps have increased since I got my new Capitec card. Another big factor is the fact that more and more retailers now allow you to use it.

Still irks me to no end when I go to a shop and the handler hands me an obvious tap-capable machine (logo and everything), and then asks me to insert my card. Even our old machine at work has the tap functionality, although you just have to press a different button when you enter the amounts.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Contactless payments are generally faster than swiping or inserting a card and do not require the use of a PIN for purchases under a set amount.
Lol it just saves you a few secs.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Lol it just saves you a few secs.
Well, no shoving card in so that's 2-3 seconds, or because the store doesn't maintain their PoS devices you are doing that 2/3 times and then trying to swipe, so that's 30-45s saved. Then no pin, so that's another 4/5 seconds and you don't have to worry about people looking. So anywhere between 10 seconds and a minute saved, while generally being safer. This makes a huge difference in the express queues if you have multiple people with 1/2 items who are going through quickly.

This all assuming within limit or using phone, if over tap limit then you need to add pin.

Oh, and less card wear and tear, my card looks terrible and I can't swipe anymore, but there's like 3 months left for it, I exclusively use my phone for the last year now, I got the card about a month before FNB started having all cards tap enabled...

j4ck455

Executive Member
FNB added that its Scan to Pay feature has also seen double-digit growth every month since its launch earlier this year. This feature lets customers make payments by scanning a QR code.
About that, why doesn't FNB allow for split bill scenarios using Scan to Pay?

krycor

Honorary Master

I think for 150%+ it's justified...
Cash is more risky.. can’t recall if this is a PASA thing or bank req.

krycor

Honorary Master

So interestingly studies show that it actually influences a consumer’s choice of retailer and ironically.. this despite the fact that when >5 items the speed gain is marginal (teller operator will be packing bag while u pay).

Wrt technology.. it’s a question of cost. Contactless is expensive to rollout for large chain store retailers as for a PED + teller system, you have to do both contact and contactless certification with acquiring bank.

This also means your teller systems often need to be fixed vs support and then limits needs to be managed, compliance stuff etc.

Given that a lot terminals are near end of life.. often the introduction of new changes are delayed till they replaced so that it’s written off as part of introduction of new PED. When it’s a leased PED, retailer has to wait till bank release cycle and then again.. integration aspects etc.

PS. PED machines can be pricy (support, repair, software) and many retailers were holding back till cards became more abundant. I think the push came when FNB pushed it as standard across card products.. ironically I find many FNB PEDs not configured for contactless (likely merchant software not setup for it).