Massive increase in "tap-and-go" card payments in SA

krycor

Honorary Master
About that, why doesn't FNB allow for split bill scenarios using Scan to Pay?
I suspect they want you to use GeoPay to settle amongst each other and then one person pays.

Remember.. each card transaction (MasterPass is still a card tran unless it’s on a FNB PED) has a cost associated to it.. so if everyone pays part of bill.. it means cost can be a lot more when there is a fixed portion (eg 50c + x.y%)

krycor

Honorary Master
My taps have increased since I got my new Capitec card. Another big factor is the fact that more and more retailers now allow you to use it.

Still irks me to no end when I go to a shop and the handler hands me an obvious tap-capable machine (logo and everything), and then asks me to insert my card. Even our old machine at work has the tap functionality, although you just have to press a different button when you enter the amounts.
Annoys me too as I know what’s possible on the various terminals and software.. what’s worse is where I see the store teller bypass the contactless screen (FNB POS asks if contactless or contact/swipe).

Spoke to a few.. there is resistance from some consumers who get annoyed with them so they force it to contact. So when u see a contactless FNB POS device.. just tell them u gonna tap.

**that fear mongering videos did their job despite the fact that as soon as you claim it’s lost, all offline & pin not verified transactions are recovered to cardholder.

PS.

Tap capable hardware means little.. it’s about the software (on device and integration) & config. POS often works as soon as configured for it (it’s standalone.. also leased new models are updated ota), updated with keys etc.. PED requires more work as integrating software need to be managed/updated too.

krycor

Honorary Master
Samsung Pay FTW! I only use my card to pay at Clicks and for my parking at the mall. Everywhere else, I use my watch to pay.
So when u do those trans on non-contactless terminals just remember you pushing mag swipe equivalent transactions. I’d be hesitant.. but then I also scratch & tip ex out my cvv and wear out the card number shiny coating on card

j4ck455

Executive Member
I suspect they want you to use GeoPay to settle amongst each other and then one person pays.
Maybe but GeoPay is only an option when both people are using the FNB app, it will not be an option when one of the people is not an FNB customer.

Remember.. each card transaction (MasterPass is still a card tran unless it’s on a FNB PED) has a cost associated to it.. so if everyone pays part of bill.. it means cost can be a lot more when there is a fixed portion (eg 50c + x.y%)
I definitely need more coffee.

MasterPass? FNB uses Visa (exclusively AFAIK).

Do you mean the cost for the retailer, or for FNB, or for the customers (including non-FNB banked) doing partial payments?

What I want FNB to do with Scan to Pay, is to make it work like Zapper where you can choose the amount you want to pay instead of being stuck with the whole amount and tip. Having to do GeoPay transactions to settle up at the end of a meal when everyone just wants to go, is an extra step that I can do without.