Massive piracy of Game of Thrones season 6 premiere in South Africa

Vegeta

Executive Member
They need a chart showing how much it would cost(cheapest) to watch it legally in each country and how many providers have the rights to air it.

In SA's case the cheapest way would be the full DSTV bouquet(I don't know how much that is) and there is no other way available to watch it legally. Even if you wanted to pay R500 just to watch that one episode.
I'm sure there is NO way available to watch it in Saudi Arabia even if you're willing to pay R10000

% illegal views to legal views. Otherwise the large population of the US & others will always have them end up tops.

Last edited:

furpile

Expert Member
3. United States
4. United Kingdom
This is more interesting. So many people torrent it when they have a lot of cheap legal methods to watch it?

greg0205

Honorary Master
A couple of weeks ago I remember a headline about The Walking Dead being the most downloaded show. I can only assume they were talking about 2016 to date, and getting the PR in before the GoT juggernaut.

PS. Most downloaded shows for 2015

1. GoT with 14 400 000 downloads
2. The Walking Dead with 6 900 000 downloads
3. The Big Bang Theory with 4 400 000 downloads

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
This is more interesting. So many people torrent it when they have a lot of cheap legal methods to watch it?
Fighting piracy is not only about price, but also distribution.
Some people just cannot access it in certain ways.

SaiyanZ

Executive Member
Many people are obsessed. They download it after watching legally to have a copy on hand to watch over and over again for in-depth analysis.

new_in_za2

As far as I know, there are no legal means that are equivalent to downloading it. You can (maybe) be allowed to stream it in low quality. If I download it, I can get it in high quality, I don't need to stream and I can watch it on whatever device I want, not only those that have been allowed by the MAFIAA.

So not so interesting. As long as there is no legal way that isn't restricted compared to the illegal way, people will use the illegal way.

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master
Well consider the populations of Australia vs the US in this list. It seems to indicate that far fewer Americans have to pirate than their Ozzie counterparts.

BrendanMc

Expert Member
What i'm curious to know is how many people from outside the US are using HBO Go?

So yes, while I could pay DSTV R850 or whatever it is now to watch GOT, for a minimal monthly fee, I can sign up to HBO Go and watch it online and have access to so much.

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
I have slowed down on torrenting and have tried to stream as much as possible.

But obviously GOT is its own mission... was really interesting to see the numbers though. I haven't seen seeds and leeches like that in ages !