• You are not registered on MyBroadband, which means you miss out on great benefits. To join our community is very easy, and completely free. Register now.
  • New Two-Day Giveaway - Enter Here

Massive Power outage in Johannesburg due to stolen cables

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
https://twitter.com/search?f=tweets&vertical=default&q=citypower&src=tyah

Power went out on Sunday some time.

1/6 #JhbCBDOutage: Following the burning of cables in the tunnel by cable thieves, it is still toxic with fumes, thus inaccessible for techs

2/6 #JhbCBDOutage: Environmental inspectors have been requested to do assessment of the tunnel today.

3/6 #JhbCBDOutage: Affected areas include the ff streets: Jeppe,Plein,Pritchard,President, A.Sisulu,Bree,Durban str,Marshaltown,Karzene.

4/6 #JhbCBDOutage: Tests will be conducted on the 88KV line from Prospect. If the line is not faulty 25% of the areas will be restored.

5/6 #JhbCBDOutage:pressure tests will be conducted on the oil cables today. If the tests are good a further 10% of the areas may be restored

6/6 #JhbCBDOutage: Rest of the areas will be restored once accessed the tunnel to remove,replace & repair all damaged cables and loadcentres

Technicians are still on site, multiple transformers are off.

City Power says the tunnels are now filled with toxic fumes and smoke making them inaccessible for technicians.

City Power: We have requested environmental experts to assess the situation and determine if it is safe to enter the tunnels.

When the environmental assessment is concluded technicians will start the repair process.

City Power's Sol Masolo, large chunks of the city affected by power outage due to fire damage

Electron1

Expert Member
This is hot off the press - no news sites have even responded to the shocking news yet.:D
Seriously - when are the authorities going to get serious about cable theft and metal thieves. So much metal has been stolen especially in the CBD, I am surprised the M1, M2 and some of the buildings haven't collapsed like the old power station in Soweto.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
This is hot off the press - no news sites have even responded to the shocking news yet.:D
Seriously - when are the authorities going to get serious about cable theft and metal thieves. So much metal has been stolen especially in the CBD, I am surprised the M1, M2 and some of the buildings haven't collapsed like the old power station in Soweto.
It's actually a huge area, but it doesn't include Sandton - so no front page news. :crylaugh:

Sinbad

Honorary Master
I'm guessing there are some service tunnels that high voltage supply cables run through?

Lupus

Honorary Master
Two scrap yard owners arrested today in possession of these cables

Good, I wish more of these scum were caught, our area is forever out of power thanks to cable theft. Wish they'd switch over to the mag alloy compound they've got in some areas.