Massive R21 sinkholes near Olifantsfontein will cost R144 million to repair - SANRAL

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
Last edited by a moderator:
Isnt this the same sinkhole that has now turned into a National Landmark, Why fix it? Same as the incomplete bridge in Cape town. No need to fix any of these.

Is that before or after BEE Tender Tax?
The guy with his spade and riversand in Douglasdale Rd can fix it for a fiver (R5). A cadre will hire him and to it for R5m. A big shot cadre will hire him and do it for R50m. The tender will be R50m to the big shot, R50m to the Minister of Sinkholes and the rest will be braai packs for the ANC to hand out during the elections.

Isnt this the same sinkhole that has now turned into a National Landmark, Why fix it? Same as the incomplete bridge in Cape town. No need to fix any of these.
Look like a monument to Squirrel's ass...

This is a non-story I suspect. Roads and infrastructure are expensive to fix. I'm curious whether SANRAL claims from insurance for flood damage or if the cost to repair sits with them?

Ha.

Look I am no geotechnical engineer but from what I understand dolomite is a PITA. It is like building on a Berocca effervescent tablet whilst somebody is slowly dripping water on it. It is much more than just a hole in the ground. I suspect the biggest challenge is to come up with a solution that doesn't cost a hundred billion but also won't result in a new sinkhole next to it in a years time.

Annoying but I will cut the engineers some slack.

As a hobby I have looked up what goes on with those miracle projects in other countries which seem to get fixed overnight. And usually there are two answers - spending an insane amount of money (to the degree of bringing in insanely expensive engineered filling material to avoid the need for settlement and compaction) or a quick and very dirty fix that have to be redone later with a price tag attached to it.

There's a sinkhole on a dual lane road in Boksburg that has been there for probably over 18 months. There is a ongoing fiasco about who should fix it. Ekurhuleni municipality says nope and the state says nope so they just leaving it.

Drive around it like you have been for last 2 years and save R144 000 000

Do the experts with the wherewithal and knowledge to design and lead this repair (and Bree Street) really exist in the country anymore? I somehow doubt it.

Gautrain aside, the ANC-EFF has failed dismally at every infrastructure project it has attempted. That's if there is even any pretence at an attempt, we are now conditioned to these imbeciles running off to Versace with the cash before any ground is broken.

South Africans think everything is a LARP.

Back