Massive South African credit card leak

Vice

Expert Member
Err, how do people withdraw R200m in 2hours:confused: This means that in 2 hrs an average of R124,475 was stolen from each account. How is this possible? Daar's n slang in die grass...

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Err, how do people withdraw R200m in 2hours:confused: This means that in 2 hrs an average of R124,475 was stolen from each account. How is this possible? Daar's n slang in die grass...
They probably had access to more cards details and took what they could from the 1600 ones with the highest limits.

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master
No strange transactions with my FNB card, yet.

So glad I'm not the person who has to clean up this mess.

Kosmik

Honorary Master
Foreign transactions of that amount didn't trigger fraud systems? Lol.

BlindMelonChitlin

Expert Member
This is HUGE. And we heard it through a Japanese media agency???
Unless this is a hoax, I'm seriously concerned about the lack of communication on the part of the local bank. Any guesses who it is?

BlindMelonChitlin

Expert Member
Foreign transactions of that amount didn't trigger fraud systems? Lol.
That's 140k per ATM in the space of 2 hours. That's unpossible with my bank AFAIK...
Actually I stand to be corrected, I recently confirmed with my bank that i'm only limited on my check account - the credit card can be used to withdraw rather large sums... Given that they used many cards, they probably just sat there like they were playing the slots and kept going for as long as they could without being noticed - likely at night.

140k in an ATM - is that not a bit of a large amount for an ATM to hold?
On second thoughts... probably not.

Last edited:

j4ck455

Executive Member
I'm more surprised that the African Bank has 1600 credit card customers, or maybe it was the Bank of India giving out cloned credit cards to unsuspecting [-]Gupta supporters[/-] ANCYL members.

Johand

Expert Member
They probably had access to more cards details and took what they could from the 1600 ones with the highest limits.
Or they timed it with the banks maintnance window. Or they exploited some interbank clearing loophole. Not all card transactions gets cleared immediately against the actual account.

What surprised me the most is that these people withdrew the money in Japan. When I was there I had trouble finding ATMs that accept Visa or Mastercard and a lot of their ATMs only operate during business hours...

cavedog

Honorary Master
Name and Shame the bank. I just buy something with my card online in foreign currency and the transaction is not even completed yet but my phone is ringing from a call from fraud department...

Radioboy

Something is strange about this....

Why South African issued cards.... why Japan? Is there a connection I'm missing?