Massive South African data leak – Now over 75 million records at risk

Stillie

Expert Member
is there anyway to find out if you are on this list?

I know of the haveibeenpawned way but that is only if your email address is in the list, and not other data like id numbers etc?

ponder

Honorary Master
Has any SA company ever faced any civil/criminal legal action for leaking personal information or is it just ignored?

Adrianax

Banned
While copies of the live database are not as readily available as the backup file, security researchers said we should assume the data is in the hands of hackers.
Nonsense! When a database normally leaks it becomes available for sale on a couple of hacker groups and some Onion sites. This database is not available anywhere. Not for sale. Not for free. Nothing. This database is not in the hands of hackers at all.

DXL

Expert Member
My 2 cents

Has any SA company ever faced any civil/criminal legal action for leaking personal information or is it just ignored?
Government needs to declare that any form of credit applied for must have all the necessary signatures and latest supporting documents signed with a copy of the persons Identity Document produced failing which there is no deal. Any fraud committed will be for the account of the company that offered the credit in light of the leaked information.

Last edited:

moklet

Expert Member
I guess credit providers, telecom companies and many other industries probably have to jack up their fraud detection systems. Regular questions asked can't be trusted as being reliable anymore. With all the info now available and a bit of phishing I can now probably call a financial institution and pass all the checks that I am the account holder, throw in sim swaps and what more

DXL

Expert Member
This is South Africa - You can Rape - Steal - Lie - Practice Communism and you can still be president. Companies do the same too cos they can get away with it.

garp

Executive Member
If a “record” means a unique id number it means that there are records of 20 million plus deceased people in this database? Seems unlikely?

moklet

Expert Member
If a “record” means a unique id number it means that there are records of 20 million plus deceased people in this database? Seems unlikely?
The ID can be linked to many records (for example, properties bought and sold, employers, phone numbers etc)

Swa

Honorary Master
“I also hope that this leak discourages companies from holding on to more data than they need to do business – that they start seeing it as toxic and expensive to keep.”
Yet the law increasingly requires more and more data to be kept for [-]spying[/-] verification purposes.

Arthur

Honorary Master
Government needs to declare that any form of credit applied for must have all the necessary signatures and latest supporting documents signed with a copy of the persons Identity Document produced failing which there is no deal. Any fraud committed will be for the account of the company that offered the credit in light of the leaked information.
Whaat? You must be joking, surely. Rule by dictat, edict and fatwa, sweeping away the liberties your and my ancestors won by blood. It'd usher in the hair-brained administrative nightmare we saw imposed by commandantes and commissars in tinpot dictatorships in the last century.

Last edited:

Swa

Honorary Master
Whaat? You must be joking, surely. Rule by dictat, edict and fatwa, sweeping away the liberties your and my ancestors won by blood. It'd usher in the hair-brained administrative nightmare we saw imposed by commandantes and commissars in tinpot dictatorships in the last century.
:wtf: :erm: Not sure if serious.

TheGuy

Expert Member
I think this will be addressed in the Popi act. I don't think its active yet.

Daruk

Honorary Master
Not really. What it does is make blockchain and similar ID solutions look attractive. Little rfid chips in your hand next. http://Id2020.org

Last edited:

MidnightWizard

Expert Member
To Late

Whaat? You must be joking, surely. Rule by dictat, edict and fatwa, sweeping away the liberties your and my ancestors won by blood. It'd usher in the hair-brained administrative nightmare we saw imposed by commandantes and commissars in tinpot dictatorships in the [-]last century[/-] present century
Are you Rip van Winkle ( or something )
ALREADY happening have you not noticed ?

I have every bit of identity including the very first SA plastic ID card
Passports etc etc
BUT
I do not have a new BAR-CODED id book ( never mind the new smart card )
I REFUSE to give a FULL set of fingerprints and be barcoded
I am NOT a "criminal"

Guess what -- bank REFUSES to recognise my identity ( never mind the reams and reams of other older stuff that was quite legal -- PROPERLY legal -- NOT some backyard inside job )

administrative nightmare we saw imposed by commandantes and commissars in tinpot dictatorships in the last century.
They ALL moved to SA

Perhaps YOU have not experienced it yet ?
Perhaps YOU can explain ( why your premise in your post above is not a nightmare --BUT -- a living reality )

Adrianax

Banned
I think this will be addressed in the Popi act. I don't think its active yet.
There will not be a single conviction on the Popi Act in its current form. Unless changes to the act happens fast, it is nothing more than a white elephant - hence the reason it has not come into effect yet, years down the line.