Massmart selling food stores to Shoprite Checkers to invest in ecommerce

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
Massmart selling food stores to Shoprite Checkers for R1.36 billion

Retail group Massmart has announced it will sell some of its food-focused retailers and cash and carry stores to Shoprite Checkers for R1.36 billion.

The transaction, which is subject to regulatory approvals, will see ownership of Cambridge Food, Rhino and Massfresh — comprising The Fruitspot and a meat processing facility, along with 12 cash and carry stores, transferred to Shoprite Checkers.

Thor

Honorary Master
Inevitable

Whitey once said, he will teach Massmart lessons they did not even know is allowed in school.

Gazg

I think they need to offload the "food" portion of Game as well... Makro sort of gets it mostly right, but Game is just totally out of its depth by including food.
I thought they were supposed to offload it sometime back. I remember reading about it......... obviously never happened.

The_MAC

Executive Member
And Woolies is still faffing around with their grocery delivery service :rolleyes:

genetic

Honorary Master
I think they need to offload the "food" portion of Game as well... Makro sort of gets it mostly right, but Game is just totally out of its depth by including food.

I think Game shut down it's fresh food division months ago.