Mathe didnt use vaseline

nivek

Executive Member
Well its been confirmed, the wardens at our most "secure prison" are corrupt bastards

http://www.news24.com/News24/South_Africa/News/0,,2-7-1442_2042811,00.html

Johannesburg - South Africa's most dangerous criminal, Annanias Mathe, did not use vaseline to slip out of his cell window in the high security C-Max prison but walked out after paying warders an R80 000 bribe, the Sunday Times has reported.

Mathe, nicknamed 'Houdini' following his escape on November 18 and was shot and recaptured by a vehicle tracking company on Monday after he stole a car. He faces more than 60 charges of attempted murder, rape, hijacking, housebreaking and armed robbery.

The Sunday Times reported that the bribe was allegedly paid to warders by four members of Mathe's gang who raised the money in Xicumbane village in Xai Xai district in Mozambique, where Mathe lived with his two wives and five children.

His wives, Filistra, 26, and Elizabeth, 24, said they knew of the bribe and that the gang had again collected money after Mathe's arrest and left for Johannesburg on Thursday to pay another bribe to get him out again.

Mathe's gang allegedly earlier paid R15 000 to get him out of the Johannesburg Central prison.

Eight Correctional Services officials have been suspended over the escape.

Random717

Expert Member
At the very least they should all be charged as accomplices to the crimes he committed in the period up to his recapture!
Its saddening to see the low moral standard of people in positions of trust, if they can be bought for fairly insignificant amounts of cash to assist such an evil brute.

moklet

Expert Member
the gang had again collected money after Mathe's arrest and left for Johannesburg on Thursday to pay another bribe to get him out again.
You think there will be warders again who will take the risk?

nivek

Executive Member
dont our super secure high tech state of the art prisons have erm..CCTV?

SURELY Cmax has every single little corner covered? They can see video footage of the wardens letting mathe out? I mean he'd have to walk through quite a few exits to get off the prison premises surely? Unless cmax is as secure as a retirement village?

Corruption has to go straight to the top, Balfour included..

Freshy-ZN

Executive Member
Suspended???? FFS the warders should be arrested and detained pending a full criminal investigation. The Minister of Correctional Services should be f%$cking suspended!!!

another day in Africa...

Natas

Expert Member
If this dude isn't a good argument for the death penalty I dont know what is.. 60 counts!! The phrase "habitual criminal" comes to mind....I think guys like this...who show absolutely no hint of stopping their ways need to be put down like dogs!!

Cara

Expert Member
What really peeves me off is that he is from Mozambique ... like we don't have enough hassles keeping our own crooks in line we now have to deal with the scavengers across the border! Guess it doesn't do to make a mess in your own back yard :mad:

Natas

Expert Member
What really peeves me off is that he is from Mozambique ... like we don't have enough hassles keeping our own crooks in line we now have to deal with the scavengers across the border! Guess it doesn't do to make a mess in your own back yard :mad:
Agreed wholeheartedly!!!! THere are many poor people in South Africa...South Africans and a lot of them commit crime just to stay alive.....What I cannot stand is people coming from other countries and committing crime here......Dont get me wrong...I am NOT condoning crime. The hard fact is that crime happens and that it is "WORK", a source of income for many people. Another irritation of crime in this country is that many foreigners commit the crime here. Call me xenophobic but I think that all illegal immigrants who commit crimes here should be put in a cool rocket type thing and shot back to their own country.

This is another reason why i only support local drug dealers....I wont buy anything from Nigerians, Malawians, etc etc....I want my drug purchases to contribute to a better New South Africa. When it comes to druks I have a proudly South African BEE type approach!!!

Bageloo

Expert Member
Agreed wholeheartedly!!!! THere are many poor people in South Africa...South Africans and a lot of them commit crime just to stay alive.....What I cannot stand is people coming from other countries and committing crime here......Dont get me wrong...I am NOT condoning crime. The hard fact is that crime happens and that it is "WORK", a source of income for many people. Another irritation of crime in this country is that many foreigners commit the crime here. Call me xenophobic but I think that all illegal immigrants who commit crimes here should be put in a cool rocket type thing and shot back to their own country.

This is another reason why i only support local drug dealers....I wont buy anything from Nigerians, Malawians, etc etc....I want my drug purchases to contribute to a better New South Africa. When it comes to druks I have a proudly South African BEE type approach!!!
Ja me too, I buy my coke from Agelloti and Selbi!

Leitmotif

Expert Member
Um... tell me this is satire...

Cara

Expert Member
The hard fact is that crime happens and that it is "WORK", a source of income for many people.
I don't buy the idea that crime is due to unemployment, I think it is a aggravating factor but many criminals do it because they like the high life not for food.

When I was in Sri Lanka the people there were dirt poor but the crime was low, I think they were all scared that they would come back as cockroches if they did bad things :D

Last edited:

Natas

Expert Member
I don't buy the idea that crime is due to unemployment, I think it is a aggravating factor but many criminals do it because they like the high life not for food.
stating it either way would be a generalisation. WHen I was a lawyer in practise, I used to go down to court for civil matters, when I had time I would go down to the criminal courts. A lot of people I saw were being tried for shoplifting. A very common offense. A lot fo these were simple food items.

Some people get involved in crime because they need the money and there are no jobs. Some people start off like this and then get addicted to the adrenalin and the quick cash. then some go straight into it for the adrenalin, the rep and the cash! These are the dangerous guys.

Some people would still do crime if they had a job available to them, but others wouldn't...IMO...I would say that in SOuth Africa at present, the larger portion of criminals probably wouldnt stop perpetrating crime if they had jobds offered to them. The risk/reward ratio is in favour of a life of crime.

NaZKuL

oh ya... my uncle caught 3 kenyan guys in his house stealing a his ps2 and some other electrical components... The funny thing is, he lives in a really really upmarket area. 2 of the Kenyan dudes are illegally in SA.

The sad thing is, most of the foreign 'crooks' that come to SA do so legally, because they buy their way in... and there's like no way to know about it...

Pitbull

Verboten
R 80k to put a Key in a lock ?

Pls tell me you wouldn't do it......:D

Natas

Expert Member
R 80k to put a Key in a lock ?

Pls tell me you wouldn't do it......:D
Well if I was a prison warder with a IQ of 2 earning peanuts then yes. WIth any degree of basic intelligence you would know that you ARE going to get caught. when doing somehting like this you must consider whether the reward is worth loosing your job, the chances of actually loosing your job, and whether you will do jail time.

What these guys did was idiotic. I would have done it if he gave 5 million rand. Thats enough for me to move to another country and start over. taking 80K in those circumstances was just plain stupid...unless ofcourse the whole hting dies down, they give someone half their takings and everything is hunky dorie....keep watching one of South Africa's amny expose shows to see this one unfold...guards suspended with Pay and will be for the next five years

Syndyre

Honorary Master
This is shocking, am I the only one that thinks Balfour should be resigning around about now?