Matrics can't read, write or add - Seta CEO

neio

Banned
Outcome based Education or OBE as it's know is gong to make an entire generation unable to work because of lack of real world skills that they need.

Homeschooling seems to be the only solution if you cant afford to send your kids to private school's.

ignacio

Banned
neio said:
Outcome based Education or OBE as it's know is gong to make an entire generation unable to work because of lack of real world skills that they need.

Homeschooling seems to be the only solution if you cant afford to send your kids to private school's.
Privatising public schools as described here http://www.cato.org/pubs/briefs/bp-023.html is the way to go. Governments (here and almost anywhere else) are just inefficient, incompetent and fiscally wasteful with delivering almost any service - so let the private sector (albeit with public cash) manage something (schools in this case) that the government has failed to effectively manage.

(If you need a better example of how government involvement screws up an industry, look at telecommunications - the country would be richer, more developed and there would be better broadband penetration (ALL government goals!) if the gov stayed the hell out of stuff it has no business being in).

ajak

Expert Member
Hell neio,I use to deal with top gvt officials(and sometime still do)****, some of them cant understand basic English, and as for read write, don’t make me laugh. So if the youngsters look at their “bosses” and they see how stupid they are, but they still pull in the big bucks, why bother to study.

qdada

Expert Member
While i do not dispute the merits of that article i am getting irritated by a headline that reads like a quote and the content of the article lacks that quote used in the headline.

It frustrates me because the context of the statement is ommited.

Was it said in jest ?
Was he being sarcastic ?
Is the intention a literal or figurative meaning ?

Surely we do not expect a school leaver to be illiterate ?

When this happens i am inclined to think that the purpose for a headline that reads like that is to be sensational merely to get the reader to read the content (or buy the newspaper).

Last edited:

Tassidar

Expert Member
Thoughts from a former school teacher

Having been a school teacher at a Cape Town school for two years of my life, here are some of the problems I have identified with our schooling system.

Discipline - This is the biggest problem facing schools. Most schools in South Africa have a huge discipline problem, and teachers have no recourse for bad behaviour. To compound matters, it is almost impossible to expel troublesome pupils, so they remain in the school system disrupting other pupils. By just expelling the bottom 5% of a school, you could probably see a 100% increase in performance of the school, as it is these people who have the biggest influence on the culture of the school. Call me harsh, but I think that pupils that continually deprive others of the right to education lose the right to an education themselves. The need for decent education in SA is too dire for it to be otherwise.

With this action alone, it become far more possible to control the more petty offences, and create a positive culture of learning.

Teachers At the moment, the best teachers are being lost to education. The reason being that the teaching environment is hostile at the moment, and the pay is substandard. Teachers often stay up until late at night working, sacrifice their Saturdays to sport and Sundays to marking and setting scripts, yet they are paid far below most professionals.

Parents Many of the problems originate from abseentee parents, who excersize little control over their kids. To compound matters, absentee parents feel guilty and over indulge their kids, creating this sense of entitlement, and allowing kids to control their parents.

pupa

Banned
Thank MotherF Asmal for experimenting! They ruin everything that was!

kaspaas

Expert Member
I can second every remark by the SETA people.

It is not only the "previously disadvantaged" schools, but also the "previously advantaged" schools producing these scrap new employers demanding all they can get.

Why has an employer teach matriculants spell and write simple paragraphs?

Firing is not an option, because there is none better.

Dovi

Expert Member
neio - even private schools are being effected (in Jo'burg at least). I'd go so far as to say CERTAIN private schools aren't up to scratch with some of the top public (and semi-private) schools

Mudshark

Yesssss, well, about two years ago I received a matric certificate from a hopeful job applicant, and one of the subjects, for which she received a "C", was, and I quote, "House Wifery". I shudder to think.