Mazibuko M1B is a Mzansi-made battery bakkie

Cosmik Debris

Honorary Master
There's also the variety of military vehicles we've produced, as well as other more nieche markets (those trucks that pull aircraft around, for example). So the skills are around. It would just be nice to see them applied to a local product.

The licences and IP for the military vehicles were sold to Vickers. Denel is bankrupt. Produced is the operative word.

Cosmik Debris

Honorary Master
south africa previously used to design some great things,
then the ANC stole whatever they could, and now they cant even design a paperclip that works properly.

sad state of affairs,

Pre 1994 South Africa used to produce its own locomotives, rolling stock and the steel to make railway tracks from Completely self sufficient and every town was within reach of public transport - even those without railways had a railways bus service and it was cheap.

The Scheffel bogie was also designed and trialled in South Africa as a high speed bogie for the railways on narrow gauge rails. Guess who the design was sold to and who produces it now?

eg2505

Honorary Master
Pre 1994 South Africa used to produce its own locomotives, rolling stock and the steel to make railway tracks from Completely self sufficient and every town was within reach of public transport - even those without railways had a railways bus service and it was cheap.

The Scheffel bogie was also designed and trialled in South Africa as a high speed bogie for the railways on narrow gauge rails. Guess who the design was sold to and who produces it now?

sold to the Chinese, who else?
I guess SA really is going town the crapper when everything of value is being stripped and sold of piece by piece.
guess you get what you voted for, cant blame them for doing what they set out to do.

Cosmik Debris

Honorary Master
sold to the Chinese, who else?
I guess SA really is going town the crapper when everything of value is being stripped and sold of piece by piece.
guess you get what you voted for, cant blame them for doing what they set out to do.

They do the same to farms they get, as they did in Zimbabwe too. The valves, pipes, pumps, tanks and even the window frames and doors are sold. Teak wooden floors go into kaya fires. Assett stripped and completely non functional thereafter. Exactly what is happening to SA. It's what Khulubuse Zuma and Mandela's nephew did to the mines they got too causing massive unemployment.

Sollie

Honorary Master
They do the same to farms they get, as they did in Zimbabwe too. The valves, pipes, pumps, tanks and even the window frames and doors are sold. Teak wooden floors go into kaya fires. Assett stripped and completely non functional thereafter. Exactly what is happening to SA. It's what Khulubuse Zuma and Mandela's nephew did to the mines they got too causing massive unemployment.

ForceFate

Honorary Master
south africa previously used to design some great things,
then the ANC stole whatever they could, and now they cant even design a paperclip that works properly.

sad state of affairs,
You're derailing

ForceFate

Honorary Master
Why would you as a South African company want to compete in the bakkie segment with a non traditional, new product like an all electric bakkie?

Wouldn't it be better if they started with a small, entry level hatchback? Less weight and less power requirements.
Good point.

FiZeR

So 41 years ago (give or take), my decades comment still applies :p

and yes I know we have a relatively thriving little niche car industry in this country being bourne out of the kitcar trade, but still... we haven't designed a mass produced international car model in decades, but we've built many millions of them. They're totally different skill sets.
We tried more recently with the Joule. Never went into production though. Was designed by the (South African) designer of the Jaguar XJ220.

aleksandar

Expert Member
Friend designed electric motorcycle in 2008(or 2009) (I was sound board and bit of advisor) it was quite similar to BMW C1-E concept, commuter/ delivery vehicle.
Design was good, possible part suppliers identified but at the end we did not follow it through.

From CAD drawing, there is a very, very long road to prototype not to mention production.
It needs serious money backing in order to be followed through and actually be competitive.

Unfortunately there is no venture capitalists in SA that could carry this out so I'm not sure now they will pull this off.

Still good effort, I hope they succeed.

Supervan II

Expert Member
How many cars have actually been designed here?

And cars like the Opel Superboss & Opel 200ts are essentially just modified existing cars (and in case of 200ts, badly modified at that).

South Africa has *some* skills at the technician type level for sure. But engineering looks sorely lacking here.
Mostly fibreglass bodies, but still

The Noble springs to mind - but built to order though.

We also had the GSM Dart & GSM Flamingo a very long time ago. Also the Sunpacer.