Mbeki 2007

kilo39

Executive Member
Anybody hear the Prez's new year sabc speech? Anybody have a full copy?

Here is what is on the sabc's site (I wonder why they didn't post it in full?)

Mbeki welcomes in 2007 with promises of hope

Mbeki today gave a sober reminder of the challenges still facing the country in annual address
December 31, 2006, 18:45

President Thabo Mbeki today gave a sober reminder of the challenges still facing the country during his annual New Year's message to the nation. President Mbeki has called on all South Africans to work together in ensuring that poverty, underdevelopment and high levels of crime are dealt with.

He has also called on road users to obey traffic rules to reduce accidents on our roads.

Across the world the New Year is being heralded in - in about five hours South Africans will embrace 2007.

Hopes of government doing more for the needy
It is the year the government hopes to do more for the needy. "This time next year, we must be able to say we have liberated many more people form the grip of poverty, joblessness and other social ill," Mbeki said.

The president also spoke about the scourge of crime that "we must confront the high levels of crime, violent crime against the weak, women, children and the elderly".

President Mbeki also reminded South Africans that the country would be taking up its rotating seat in the UN Security Council tomorrow. He said the two year period would enable South Africa to contribute to world peace.
A message of platitudes; almost as if this government has nothing to do with the running of the country.

Makes me furious. Delivery, delivery, delivery. Why are we still waiting?

"Promises of Hope" BAH

Highflyer_GP

Honorary Master
Same story every year.

But here's an idea - instead of always calling on South Africans to do something, how about South Africans calling on government to do something (and government actually responding)? :rolleyes:

kilo39

Executive Member
"Promises of Hope"

Notably not even hope but promises of hope... we promise to give you hope but not now - here is my promise to give hope instead.

:confused: :mad:

jontyB

Expert Member
I watched it, and we were shown it before we went on patrol last night as well. My personal favourite:

"it is illegal to kill another person".

kilo39

Executive Member
I watched it, and we were shown it before we went on patrol last night as well. My personal favourite:

"it is illegal to kill another person".
Aah Mbeki (for some reason I feel like typing that upside down.)

He has no clue (must be that rarefied atmosphere at 33000 feet.) :mad:

(I think his biggest problem is he relies on people to do jobs they are plainly not doing but he is too busy at the in-flight bar.)

:mad:

raVid

Never will forget the promise made a few years ago about cheap telecoms. Nothing ever happened there. I don't put much stock in what those people say.

Skeptik

Banned
I thought it was a joke. His grammar was flawed - even though he doesn't write his own twaddle - and he sat there on his black leather chair from Makro like the Queen.

Arrive alive, don't kill other people, look after the poor (surprised he mentioned one of his failures)... that's the entire message!!

Complete waste of time. He will be remembered as the President that never was.

K

kingrob

more police = less crime? #corruption
more income tax = better life for all? #corruption
more telecoms service providers = cheaper telecoms? #telkom's strangehold

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Skeptik

Banned
more police = less crime? #corruption
more income tax = better life for all? #corruption
more telecoms service providers = cheaper telecoms? #telkom's strangehold

The more things change, the more they stay the same.
Actually, more police=more crime reported. But don't tell the government.