Mbeki's popularity at its lowest - poll

GavinMannion

Executive Member
I hate headlines like that

Headline: Mbeki's popularity at its lowest - poll
Fact: President Thabo Mbeki's approval rating has dropped to its lowest level in four years............................
Mbeki's first three years in office from 2000 saw him struggle with approval ratings that hovered around the 30 percent mark

IOL is terrible with it's sensationalist headlines..

I don't know what light you are possibly referring to though? He is leaving office in 2009 and someone else is coming in. None of these polls means anything really.

Polls about the next president are now more important.

Bageloo

Expert Member
Who are you hoping would be a good choice as his successor?

I would say Trevor Manuel or Tito Mbweni but none of them have expressed interest in the position. So what possible light is there?
Zuma! not. Seriously I couldn't care less who's the next president as long as it is not a third term for Mbeki.

GavinMannion

Executive Member
I don't see any possibility of a 3rd term.....

Even the sensationalist media aren't talking about it...

I think we are going to be stuck with Zuma unless someone comes out quickly.

Leitmotif

Expert Member
Anyone but Zuma. Mbeki isn't a problem, it's his damn cabinet that seems to refuse to follow his policies.

I'd go with Mbeki 3 over Zuma 1.

Bageloo

Expert Member
I don't see any possibility of a 3rd term.....

Even the sensationalist media aren't talking about it...

I think we are going to be stuck with Zuma unless someone comes out quickly.
The Estern Cape provincial structures of the ANC have come up in strong support for a 3rd term for Thabo

GavinMannion

Executive Member
Yeah but the EC has f*(k all power to do anything....

He has already stated he is not going for another term and is resigning as president of the ANC next year so that the leadership race of the ANC won't affect the party in the presidential elections.

He knows it will destroy the economy if he even thinks about a 3rd term.

GavinMannion

Executive Member
Oh I missed that one! As the party president, will he then decide who becomes the state president?
No, he obviously holds a lot of sway over the party but the party votes on the next president.

Quite democratic really :D

chiskop

Executive Member
Oh I missed that one! As the party president, will he then decide who becomes the state president?
Yes, what GM said, and assuming the ANC win a majority vote. ;)

I think that there is an argument to be made for retaining Mbeki as ANC president- but I'm not sure that he would want to stay, or that it would be allowed.

National president is obviously a different story, and I haven't seen anybody credible making the suggestion that he stay.

Last edited:

jontyB

Expert Member
Yes, what GM said, and assuming the ANC win a majority vote. ;)

I think that there is an argument to be made for retaining Mbeki as ANC president- but I'm not sure that he would want to stay, or that it would be allowed.

National president is obviously a different story, and I haven't seen anybody credible making the suggestion that he stay.
What possible argument could be made to make him supremo for a third time?

chiskop

Executive Member
Well, the ANC in the Eastern Cape seems to believe that retaining Mbeki as ANC president would be one way out of the leadership battle. Whether it would work out like that is another story...

ActivateD

Expert Member
I don't think its a good idea to have Mbeki as ANC president and someone else as president of the country.What happens when they have conflicting issues?

kiepie

Executive Member
I totally support Mbeki for a 3rd term, some good spilled over from Madiba to him. The fact is, anyone EXCEPT zuma, come on guys.

He made us look like fools with the aids shower issue, oh my gosh!:eek:
Then singing "bring my machine gun".

Were have you ever seen the victim (kwezi, the girl the was "allegedly" raped) covering her face in fear of her life and the accused (zuma) being supported :mad: like a Sprinkbok that won the World Cup.

And now for president? We would end up like Zimbabwe.

Trevor for president!:D

chiskop

Executive Member
I don't think its a good idea to have Mbeki as ANC president and someone else as president of the country.What happens when they have conflicting issues?
We seemed to manage when Mandela was (national) President and Mbeki was ANC President...