Mboweni says using government and private pensions to fund Eskom “a good idea”

3WA

Executive Member
I like it. A cash injection into SOEs every five years. That way we don't have to ever make them financially sustainable.

lucifir

Expert Member
Can we withdraw all our RA/pension contributions before we reach retirement age?

Pegasus

Expert Member
I like it. A cash injection into SOEs every five years. That way we don't have to ever make them financially sustainable.
Just the first 5 years. For the 2nd 5 years there will be no pensions.

Kosmik

Honorary Master
Can we withdraw all our RA/pension contributions before we reach retirement age?
No, 1/3rd but you can stop paying into it which is pretty much the same thing, the pool will get drained very fast with no additional investment. Remember it has to pay out pensions as well.

I could be wrong but you can also shove it from a pension to a preservation fund with no tax loss and that has far more control of where your money is.

eg: https://www.allangray.co.za/what-we-offer/transfer/#fund-1 , unit trust based preservation fund.

xrapidx

Honorary Master
Pretty much that, watch private pension industry get dissolved overnight, stupid idea. People will disinvest in droves.
I'd rather lose the tax benefit, and invest where I choose in non-retirement vehicles.

Rabobi

Executive Member
No, 1/3rd but you can stop paying into it which is pretty much the same thing, the pool will get drained very fast with no additional investment. Remember it has to pay out pensions as well.

I could be wrong but you can also shove it from a pension to a preservation fund with no tax loss and that has far more control of where your money is.

eg: https://www.allangray.co.za/what-we-offer/transfer/#fund-1 , unit trust based preservation fund.
I think people will jump all over this to move it to a preservation fund, i know i will

Toxxyc

Expert Member
I believe if you leave your job/pension company you can get it paid out in a lump sum. It is taxed to **** though.

lucifir

Expert Member
I think people will jump all over this to move it to a preservation fund, i know i will
I think a preservation fund has to still follow the retirement fund policies, so funds will still be force into SOEs.
I am hoping there is away for us to all remove all our funds from the RAs (even at a cost) which will show government that we are not going to just take this BS anymore.

JayM

Expert Member
30% min but moving it to preservation is tax free.
0-25K is at 0%, 25K-660K at 18%, 660K-990K at 27% and anything above at 36%. So it's not that bad actually. If you're on a high tax bracket (41%/45%) it makes sense to max out your contributions and then cash out every time you leave a job.

I've already made back the tax I paid on lump sum payout when I left my fulltime job in 2018 simply by moving most of the funds into USD.

fishfly

Honorary Master
Yay lets use every ones pension so when they retire, they will be broke and without money to sustain themselves...
We may as well resign/retire now and die with what we have than continue to work and get nothing out thereafter

Zukat

I believe if you leave your job/pension company you can get it paid out in a lump sum. It is taxed to **** though.
Unless you get retrenched, then I believe there is a tax break on the first R500k

ConfusedR

It really astonishes me how the ANC are really trying hard to chase people out of the country.
Eventually, as in Zimbabwe, they will demand aid from "white" and Asian countries.

The EFF will not do any better