McBride crash: cops mum on blood test
January 04 2007 at 09:19AM
By Alex Eliseev
Police have revealed they are not investigating whether Robert McBride was drunk when he crashed his car on a highway two weeks ago.
Provincial spokesperson Director Govindsamy Mariemuthoo said this morning their investigation against the Ekurhuleni Metro Police chief was that of reckless and negligent driving – not of drunk driving.
Mariemuthoo explained that only if witnesses stepped forward and gave evidence that McBride appeared drunk, or that his men violently intimidated them, would the police investigate those aspects.
This means the police do not have any evidence to pursue criminal charges of drunk driving against McBride.
“We are not investigating a case of drunk driving, only of reckless and negligent driving,” he said.
Mariemuthoo added that once the investigation was complete, the case would be referred to the Director of Public Prosecutions for a decision on whether to formally charge McBride.
It was reported this morning, however, that the investigation against McBride had been completed and the docket was on its way to the provincial police commission, Perumal Naidoo.
The investigating officer from Erasmia told the Beeld newspaper that he had finalised the investigation. He would not be drawn on the details of the investigation or on whether a blood test had been taken. The docket apparently also makes no mention of what hospital McBride was taken to.
But Mariemuthoo, who speaks on behalf of Naidoo, had something different to say.
“The official comment of the SAPS is that the investigation is continuing and has not been completed,” he said. “Once it has the docket will be referred to the DPP for a decision.”
Mariemuthoo, who two days ago speculated that the investigation would take weeks, if not months to complete, once again refused to say whether a blood test was taken at the scene or at the hospital.
“We were not at the scene and are only investigating what was given to us,” he said. “If blood tests were taken they would have formed part of our investigation.”
The Ekurhuleni Metro Police, who attended the scene and should have taken the blood test, are remaining mum on whether any blood was drawn from McBride.
On the morning after the crash, which took place on the evening of December 21 on the R511, The Star spoke to five separate witnesses who all claimed that McBride was drunk when he crashed his Chevrolet at a high speed.
Mariemuthoo said that none of the witnesses had come forward, although the Independent Complaints Directorate was investigating their own case (of the intimidation).
The police took over investigating the case to ensure that there was no cover up from Ekurhuleni’s Metro Police. The docket was transferred from Randburg to Erasmia.
McBride was allegedly driving from a year-end function when he crashed at about 7pm just outside Pretoria.
When several witnesses stopped to help they recalled that he crawled out of his car, which had rolled over, and was extremely dazed and confused.
The witnesses said he smelled of alcohol and could not tell them whether he was transporting any passengers. All he wanted was to make a telephone call.
Soon after, the witnesses said, his “hooligan” officers arrived and began to cover up the crash and remove evidence. They removed items from the car’s cubby-hole and back seat and opened the boot, which allegedly contained several firearms.
The officers also swore at bystanders, reportedly throttled one of the men and pointed guns at the crowd threatening to shoot.
McBride’s wife Nina has defended the police chief saying he was not drunk but very confused. Ekurhuleni mayor, Dumi Nkosi, has also pledged his full support for McBride.
It remains unclear why Ekurhuleni Metro Police took over the scene when it was in fact in the jurisdiction of the Tshwane Metro Police.