McLaren driver arrested for speeding at 232 km/h in Gauteng.

dlk001

Executive Member
The driver of a white McLaren was arrested for allegedly speeding at 232 km/h in Gauteng.

According to the provincial traffic department’s high-speed unit, the 42-year-old McLaren driver was clocked at almost double the indicated speed limit of 120 km/h. The department did not say on which road the offence was committed.

The same speeding operation furthermore saw the arrest of three other speedsters, in addition to the driver of what looks like a 570S. According to the department, a 46-year-old was nabbed at 171 km/h and a 29-year-old at 170 km/h, while a 28-year-old was caught at 164 km/h in a 100 km/h zone.

The four drivers are expected to face charges of reckless driving and exceeding the speed limit.

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur
Numberplate Questions - The Volkswagen Club of South Africa

Flywheel

Honorary Master
I can understand why he would drive at that speed - a McLaren is meant to be driven fast.

He should have just went to a track to let off steam or to race though.... our roads are too dangerous to drive at those speeds what with the animals wandering, potholes, taxis and SA drivers etc etc

cr@zydude

Executive Member
I can understand why he would drive at that speed - a McLaren is meant to be driven fast.

He should have just went to a track to let off steam or to race though.... our roads are too dangerous to drive at those speeds what with the animals wandering, potholes, taxis and SA drivers etc etc

True. Though I would argue that almost nowhere on Earth has the roads and cars to safely travel at that speed, plus very few drivers have the ability and traning to handle a car at that speed.

neoprema

Expert Member
So, unpopular opinion but how many McLaren's have killed people? vs how many Taxis?

I still maintain if you spend > R2m on a car you should be given some leeway to drive it fast. But of course, we must be fair and thus drag everyone down to an equally low level where we say the McLaren has the same safety at high speeds as a Tazz :)

Flywheel

Honorary Master
True. Though I would argue that almost nowhere on Earth has the roads and cars to safely travel at that speed, plus very few drivers have the ability and traning to handle a car at that speed.

Autobahn in Germany is one example. As for ability and training, it was necessary a decade or more ago as essential. New electronics and the vehicles onboard computer can pretty much keep the vehicle stable at those speeds by intelligently adjusting nowadays, all it takes is a fairly competent driver with a bit of road experience.

Messugga

Honorary Master
Autobahn in Germany is one example. As for ability and training, it was necessary a decade or more ago as essential. New electronics and the vehicles onboard computer can pretty much keep the vehicle stable at those speeds by intelligently adjusting nowadays, all it takes is a fairly competent driver with a bit of road experience.
Having done advanced driving courses and some high-er speed driving, the difficulties climb in when you have to suddenly brake and the car's mass starts going all over. There's only so much a computer can do to deal with the physics of it.
With that being said, a modern GT or high performance sedan, in my opinion, is safer at 180km/h than a Vivo at 120km/h. Would be nice to be able to stretch the legs on those sorts of cars, on certain sections of road maybe during certain times of day.