McLaren driver arrested for speeding at 232 km/h in Gauteng.

R13...

Honorary Master
Would be nice to be able to stretch the legs on those sorts of cars, on certain sections of road maybe during certain times of day.
Good idea but, with the proviso that speedsters need to have proof of insurance or assets that can be used to cover clean up costs and other related costs in case of accidents.

Hellhound105

Executive Member
So, unpopular opinion but how many McLaren's have killed people? vs how many Taxis?

I still maintain if you spend > R2m on a car you should be given some leeway to drive it fast. But of course, we must be fair and thus drag everyone down to an equally low level where we say the McLaren has the same safety at high speeds as a Tazz :)

Doesnt help to point out the obvious, especially here.

If you drive 55KM/h and kill someone, no one bats an eye.
Wanna do 80KM/h in the 3rd overtaking lane, go for it.
Those who actually get in accidents doing 60KM/h. No worries, its an "accident". No repercussions.
Taxi's driving in the yellow lane and all bad driving, nothing.

But point at these guys that made no accidents....oh hell no.
Just dont go over the magical number 120.

Messugga

Honorary Master
Good idea but, with the proviso that speedsters need to have proof of insurance or assets that can be used to cover clean up costs and other related costs in case of accidents.
Sure. I've been of the opinion for years that at least third party insurance needs to be a condition of a car being legal on the road.

The Darkness

Expert Member
Doesnt help to point out the obvious, especially here.

If you drive 55KM/h and kill someone, no one bats an eye.
Wanna do 80KM/h in the 3rd overtaking lane, go for it.
Those who actually get in accidents doing 60KM/h. No worries, its an "accident". No repercussions.
Taxi's driving in the yellow lane and all bad driving, nothing.

But point at these guys that made no accidents....oh hell no.
Just dont go over the magical number 120.
aaah Come on! I can't believe people are making this crazy argument. If you can afford a 2 million Rand car, you can afford some track time with it to 'stretch its legs'. This is exactly why we are in lockdown right now, selfish, self-absorbed, above the law South Africans. We all share the road.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
aaah Come on! I can't believe people are making this crazy argument. If you can afford a 2 million Rand car, you can afford some track time with it to 'stretch its legs'. This is exactly why we are in lockdown right now, selfish, self-absorbed, above the law South Africans. We all share the road.
Biggest problem is where do you find a longer straight track? Picking CT specific here.

Adenoid Hynkel

Expert Member
I don't think I know anyone owning a high performance car that hasn't pushed the mentioned speeds on a highway. Age range from youngish to old ballies. They have all done it, some more than others.

I myself am not a Highspeed fan. Acceleration gives me a much higher kick.

Toxxyc

Executive Member
Not to be snide or anything, but how to you really "catch" a guy in a McLaren? Sure he tripped the speed trap and all that, but surely right foot can ensure you're not caught?

Steamy Tom

Executive Member
So, unpopular opinion but how many McLaren's have killed people? vs how many Taxis?

I still maintain if you spend > R2m on a car you should be given some leeway to drive it fast. But of course, we must be fair and thus drag everyone down to an equally low level where we say the McLaren has the same safety at high speeds as a Tazz :)

dumb people have money too, ecspecially in this country

rietrot

Honorary Master
Accident = too late
It costs money to fix the road and summon EMS. Add downtime of being stuck in traffic due to EMS and police clearing the road.

They were being proactive.
There's a movie about this proactive law enforcement otherwise known as precrime.

Minority report.

surface

Honorary Master
Not to be snide or anything, but how to you really "catch" a guy in a McLaren? Sure he tripped the speed trap and all that, but surely right foot can ensure you're not caught?
Few of them can be positioned ahead of him, right? Electronics and all that?

Mila

Honorary Master

You have leeway to drive it that fast, on a track not a public road.