McLaren driver arrested for speeding at 232 km/h in Gauteng.

Grant

Honorary Master
99% of accidents are not because of speed, but because of reckless driving. There's a difference.

Focusing on a arbitrary number is silly.
The autobahn is a perfect example of this.
The autobahn is indeed an excellent example.
Good road surface, unlike ours with holes and corregation , drunk pedestrians, maniac minibus taxis, and other assorted morons.
There is also a level of civic discipline in Germany, unlike here

rietrot

Honorary Master
If gov say they allowed that speed, do you think they'll say - ha boza, is too fas.

Or they'll upgrade?
Speed is irrelevant to taxi's. It is a question about economy vs. time.

Non of them care about the speed limit in anycase. They drive the speed they want. So changes to the speed limit doesn't affect them. Or are you trying to argue taxis are law abiding?

Creag

The Boar's Rock
Well this is a propaganda piece, but it does make my point. Germany is one of the safest countries.

I agree, Germany is just that.

However, your comparison is poor (to be mild). Germany is a first world country that generally follows common sense and obeys the law. They do not have the motorists who see a speed limit as a target. Their roads and infrastructure is world class and in good condition. Vehicles driven their are well-maintained. Etcetera, etcetera.

Without some sort of restriction, we would have cowboys racing through towns and suburbs. Add poor road infrastructure, traffic lights that do not work, that motorists who stop wherever they want to, or fail to indicate when changing lanes, etc. and you have a recipe for far worse than we have now.

WaxLyrical

Honorary Master
Speed is irrelevant to taxi's. It is a question about economy vs. time.

Non of them care about the speed limit in anycase. They drive the speed they want. So changes to the speed limit doesn't affect them. Or are you trying to argue taxis are law abiding?
You have to factor in risk. Taxis drive as fast as is reasonably possible.
Increasing the limit will allow them to increase their speed exponentially, increasing the risk, leading to more deaths.

I'd totally support increasing the limit if it weren't for this one death trap.

krycor

Honorary Master
Doesnt help to point out the obvious, especially here.

If you drive 55KM/h and kill someone, no one bats an eye.
Wanna do 80KM/h in the 3rd overtaking lane, go for it.
Those who actually get in accidents doing 60KM/h. No worries, its an "accident". No repercussions.
Taxi's driving in the yellow lane and all bad driving, nothing.

But point at these guys that made no accidents....oh hell no.
Just dont go over the magical number 120.

I do bat eyes, record and sent video to JMPD many times when living up there. Too bad Cpt went backwards and removed the use of user submitted video.

Unless both cars are doing 60km/h(effective 120km/h), it’s is like hitting a pedestrian at 60km/h which is mostly survivable* (so vehicle collisions should be survivable unless vehicle too dangerous to drive)

So yah I disagree with your statements.

Side note:

Was listening to the money show as I often do and judge Davis suggested SARS also do “random” checks on tax affairs of individuals with vehicles registered to them or affiliate worth > R1m.. good idea.

STS

Mafia Detective
99% of accidents are not because of speed, but because of reckless driving. There's a difference.

Focusing on a arbitrary number is silly.
The autobahn is a perfect example of this.

We are talking about SA roads, not the Autobahn.

Speeding is reckless driving, as you would not be able to speed if you were not driving recklessly. If you are driving 200km, you are going to encounter someone travelling 120km and have to overtake them.

Your time to come to a stop increases the faster your drive.

Let's be pedantic, "no, speed doesn't kill, the sudden impact does, hurr durr"

rietrot

Honorary Master
You have to factor in risk. Taxis drive as fast as is reasonably possible.
Increasing the limit will allow them to increase their speed exponentially, increasing the risk, leading to more deaths.

I'd totally support increasing the limit if it weren't for this one death trap.
BS.

They don't care about the speed limit now and will not care if it changes.

You cannot exponentially increase the speed of a taxi. You know nothing about cars.

STS

Mafia Detective
Making my point for me. Thanks.

You said speeding is acceptable. You didn't say speeding is acceptable ON THE AUTOBAHN, in a CERTAIN CAR with a CERTIFIED driver.

The point is most roads are not the autobahn, most cars are not made for crazy speeds, most people are imbecile drivers.

Desig

Numberplate Questions - The Volkswagen Club of South Africa
Papa needs a pasta

Sollie

Executive Member
Autobahn in Germany is one example. As for ability and training, it was necessary a decade or more ago as essential. New electronics and the vehicles onboard computer can pretty much keep the vehicle stable at those speeds by intelligently adjusting nowadays, all it takes is a fairly competent driver with a bit of road experience.
Yes, but what about the drivers. All drivers (the ones in the other lanes as well). To put this into perspective: How many prozacs would you need for a German traffic cop before letting him lose on our roads?

Sollie

Executive Member
How many i-Siyayas can do 232km/h?
You getting close. How many i-Siyayas changing lanes without signalling or driving on the road skirts?

It's a driver attitude on both sides. Add the speed differential as you yourself point out.

rietrot

Honorary Master
You getting close. How many i-Siyayas changing lanes without signalling or driving on the road skirts?

It's a driver attitude on both sides. Add the speed differential as you yourself point out.

You are forgetting about the proximity issue.

The faster you go the faster you get away from the taxi. The chance of him changing lanes at the exact moment you pass decreases with speed.

Now if you both drive 120 right next to each other and he changes lanes you're fscked.

This is science.

johnjm

Expert Member
Are people actually arguing double standards? It’s okay to speed in a super car because it’s made for it?

Or it’s okay to speed in my well maintained car because the taxis are reckless and don’t care for anything?

rietrot

Honorary Master
Are people actually arguing double standards? It’s okay to speed in a super car because it’s made for it?

Or it’s okay to speed in my well maintained car because the taxis are reckless and don’t care for anything?

120 is a arbitrary number that doesn't mean anything.

It is okay to drive at a safe speed. This is different for each car and each driver. Some sport cars can do 232km/h safely. Some cars(most cars) cannot even reach that if they wanted too.

The taxi argument is someone who doesn't know anything about cars said if we allow high speeds all taxis would drive 230km/h
Which is impossible.

Then there's also the bad argument that because we are a shíthole country we cannot have nice things. Which is a really bad argument and part of the reason why we are a shíthole country in the first place.