McLaren driver arrested for speeding at 232 km/h in Gauteng.

johnjm

Expert Member
120 is a arbitrary number that doesn't mean anything.

It is okay to drive at a safe speed. This is different for each car and each driver. Some sport cars can do 232km/h safely. Some cars(most cars) cannot even reach that if they wanted too.

The taxi argument is someone who doesn't know anything about cars said if we allow high speeds all taxis would drive 230km/h
Which is impossible.

Then there's also the bad argument that because we are a shíthole country we cannot have nice things. Which is a really bad argument and part of the reason why we are a shíthole country in the first place.

But it is a shot hole country which is exactly why that would never happen. The majority of people don’t have insurance, don’t maintain their cars, so it would never be allowed because of the lowest common denominator reasoning.

The same reason why alcohol is now banned, because the majority of people are not responsible. It’s a social issues mess.

rietrot

Honorary Master
But it is a shot hole country which is exactly why that would never happen. The majority of people don’t have insurance, don’t maintain their cars, so it would never be allowed because of the lowest common denominator reasoning.

The same reason why alcohol is now banned, because the majority of people are not responsible. It’s a social issues mess.
Yeah. We should stop catering to the lowest common denominator.

marco79

Expert Member
Slight distance away, but N14 ;)
A couple of years ago when I worked on the N14 between Kakamas & Pofadder, a temporary sign was put up. It said "high speed vehicle testing up to 260km/h". I remember BMW testing the i8 there in 2013.

IIRC There is also a high speed track in the vicinity where Lambos are tested at speeds in excess of 300km/h.

marco79

Expert Member
Taufiq Carr. Paralysed for life. Don't worry, your turn is coming too.

Don't want to be him when the blissful pain killers wear off.
This accident was caused by a tire burst. He bought cheap tires the morning that weren't rated at the high speed he was going.

scudsucker

Executive Member
This accident was caused by a tire burst. He bought cheap tires the morning that weren't rated at the high speed he was going.
Ah, so it wasn't the reckless speed he was traveling at, it wasn't the reckless driving at fault, it was his tyres.

Got it. Taufiq is an innocent victim.

marco79

Expert Member
Ah, so it wasn't the reckless speed he was traveling at, it wasn't the reckless driving at fault, it was his tyres.

Got it. Taufiq is an innocent victim.
He was reckless. He bought budget tires for his supercar without checking the speed rating thereof. The videos clearly showed the cause of the accident was the tire burst at high speed.

dlk001

Executive Member

or maybe the accident was caused by the high speed that resulted in a tire failure. You cannot drive an M3 at high speeds with a cheap tire. That is stupidity.

johnjm

Expert Member
The bottom line is even if he was driving an F1 Ferrari and was a Schumacher when it comes to skills, he would have still been surrounded by other people on the public road who do not have those driving skills or that high performance vehicle. They are people who are going to work or driving their kids to watch a movie. To treat a public road as a race track is the same as that idiot who takes a jet sky and zips through the public swimming zone at the beach during holiday season.

If I had my way I would make it law that every single impounded car of a speedster be crushed and the bill sent to the idiot. Attached would be a 10 year ban from even owning a vehicle or having a driving license.

Agree with this 100%

Even F1 drivers drive within the limits in public roads. It’s because they understand the risks involved.

WaxLyrical

Honorary Master
BS.

They don't care about the speed limit now and will not care if it changes.

You cannot exponentially increase the speed of a taxi. You know nothing about cars.

They don't care but they still tow the line knowing big fines and revenue losses awaits.
Once the limit increases taxis will automatically be made/modified to cover the distance faster. It's simple economics as it's a revenue driven enterprise.

Recklessness will increase accordingly and pray you're not coming in the opposite direction with your Mclaren doing 230.

wingnut771

Honorary Master
They don't care but they still tow the line knowing big fines and revenue losses awaits.
Once the limit increases taxis will automatically be made/modified to cover the distance faster. It's simple economics as it's a revenue driven enterprise.

Recklessness will increase accordingly and pray you're not coming in the opposite direction with your Mclaren doing 230.
They would have to double their ticket prices then, because fuel consumption would double.

rietrot

Honorary Master

Yeah I'm sure taxi's are scared off and pay their fines.

Sollie

Executive Member
You're saying religious folks will increase ... ? :p

Amazes me that folks wish to compare our drivers to German drivers though. Apples and paper clips, nvm oranges.

Cray

Honorary Master
120 is a arbitrary number that doesn't mean anything.

It is okay to drive at a safe speed. This is different for each car and each driver. Some sport cars can do 232km/h safely. Some cars(most cars) cannot even reach that if they wanted too.
This only applies on a road without other motor vehicles, pedestrians, or animals (wild or domesticated). You may not have noticed we have all of these on the roads in our country to a greater or lesser and none of them are expecting to encounter a lunatic driving at 232 km/h.

ForceFate

Honorary Master
You are forgetting about the proximity issue.

The faster you go the faster you get away from the taxi. The chance of him changing lanes at the exact moment you pass decreases with speed.

Now if you both drive 120 right next to each other and he changes lanes you're fscked.

This is science.
I witnessed an accident where someone changed lanes at the exact moment a speeding car was passing...

We were literally behind the cars that got involved. Had the speeding driver been doing 120km/h like us, he wouldn't have been involved (fallacious, point of the entire post)

I think it was back in 2014/15.

WaxLyrical

Honorary Master
Not much more fuel used on a straight road, and many advances being made with low cap engines with low consumption but more power.

Messugga

Honorary Master
I witnessed an accident where someone changed lanes at the exact moment a speeding car was passing...

We were literally behind the cars that got involved. Had the speeding driver been doing 120km/h like us, he wouldn't have been involved (fallacious, point of the entire post)

I think it was back in 2014/15.
If he were going 40km/h faster he'd probably also have missed the accident!

Very tongue in cheek.

ForceFate

Honorary Master
You're saying religious folks will increase ... ? :p

Amazes me that folks wish to compare our drivers to German drivers though. Apples and paper clips, nvm oranges.
Judging by some of the videos on Youtube...:p
Anyway, they have good cars, roads and many of their drivers appear to know limitations of their cars.

I retract that statement after watching Nordschleife videos.

ForceFate

Honorary Master
If he were going 40km/h faster he'd probably also have missed the accident!

Very tongue in cheek.
Or smashed into the broken down minibus ahead. It was the cause of traffic suddenly slowing down and speeding drivers attempting to change lanes. I have no idea how they failed to spot it since it was visible from about a km away.

Edit: missed the last bit. I need a nap

wingnut771

Honorary Master
Not much more fuel used on a straight road, and many advances being made with low cap engines with low consumption but more power.
Wind resistance increases to the square of the speed tho. A taxi going 100km/h vs 160km/h will have a big difference in fuel consumption, never mind the constant slowing down and speeding up adding to that figure.

Screen Shot 2021-01-13 at 12.51.01.png

Sollie

Executive Member
Judging by some of the videos on Youtube...:p
Anyway, they have good cars, roads and many of their drivers appear to know limitations of their cars.

I retract that statement after watching Nordschleife videos.
vs that little 19voetsek Golf with dropped suspension, low profile who-flung-dungs, free flow, .... that will beat anything the gods of South African roads has to offer. Also his cousin in an Opel who can't afford a Golf.

/Okay, finished making ... friends. :p