McLaren driver arrested for speeding at 232 km/h in Gauteng.

netstrider

Expert Member
In Germany your license gets suspended for a month for so much as reversing into a street lamp.

Night driving is also part of obtaining your license there, it's a process, not a once-off test. More like a pilot having to do some hours.

cr@zydude

Executive Member
In Germany your license gets suspended for a month for so much as reversing into a street lamp.

Night driving is also part of obtaining your license there, it's a process, not a once-off test. More like a pilot having to do some hours.

Plus, and I think that it's often forgotten, the Autobahn uses separated lanes at all times. This makes it almost impossible to have a head on collision.

netstrider

Expert Member
Plus, and I think that it's often forgotten, the Autobahn uses separated lanes at all times. This makes it almost impossible to have a head on collision.
The parts on the Autobahn we were driving on when I was there certainly had separate lanes. Also, it's so ingrained in them to move one lane over when a faster car approaches behind them - possibly part of the theory and practice as well in obtaining a license.

bratwurst

Expert Member
The parts on the Autobahn we were driving on when I was there certainly had separate lanes. Also, it's so ingrained in them to move one lane over when a faster car approaches behind them - possibly part of the theory and practice as well in obtaining a license.
How is that any different from the keep left rule in SA?
Don't you get this taught in driving school? I have a EU license, so I really don't know.

wingnut771

Honorary Master
South Africa's situation is similar to Russia for example. Why are most of the dashcam videos from there? IMHO, it's because of corruption where people can just buy their licenses, so you have people on the roads that don't have a clue what the rules are.

netstrider

Expert Member
Don't you get this taught in driving school? I have a EU license, so I really don't know.
From what I was told by a local, you can actually get fined driving 180km/h in the fast lane and not moving over for someone behind you approaching at 220km/h.

Sollie

Executive Member
We have the same rule. But we just don't enforce it. Our metro police are only good at hiding behind bushes and setting up speed traps.
You are wrong.

They even fail at that. Recalls cops sitting on fold up chairs behind camera. Vehciles approaching sees them, causes a stop-go-stop-go ... mtro sponsored traffic jam at 9am in the morning. Wtf? :X3:

Oh, you said "our". Which municipality? :p

WaxLyrical

Honorary Master
Wind resistance increases to the square of the speed tho. A taxi going 100km/h vs 160km/h will have a big difference in fuel consumption, never mind the constant slowing down and speeding up adding to that figure.

View attachment 993124
There'll only be a 30% increase in velocity, so from 120 to 160 which is already quite brisk.

wingnut771

Honorary Master
There'll only be a 30% increase in velocity, so from 120 to 160 which is already quite brisk.
120% increase in wind resistance if my maths is correct. Stick your arm out the window at 120 then at 160. Taxi's would be making a lot of fuel stops. IMHO, economics would slow them down.

ForceFate

Honorary Master
It's no different. It's attitude towards rules and other road users that's causing the chaos locally.

rietrot

Honorary Master
You are wrong.

They even fail at that. Recalls cops sitting on fold up chairs behind camera. Vehciles approaching sees them, causes a stop-go-stop-go ... mtro sponsored traffic jam at 9am in the morning. Wtf? :X3:

Oh, you said "our". Which municipality? :p
Ekuhuleni(east rand) and Pretoria.

Well they don't even stop people any more. If they find their hiding spot they'll stay there, comfortable for however long until they made their quota for the day.

Then they ar supposed to post you your fine, but they don't even alway do that properly.

They are only good at setting up the speed trap and hiding. Nothing more.

Supervan II

Expert Member

Well they don't even stop people any more. If they find their hiding spot they'll stay there, comfortable for however long until they made their quota for the day.

Then they ar supposed to post you your fine, but they don't even alway do that properly.

This is how you get plenty of "speedsters" doing 71 in a 60 zone - all on the same day, at the same time, at the same place - and the victims are none the wiser ...

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Not much more fuel used on a straight road, and many advances being made with low cap engines with low consumption but more power.

Glad to hear you broke the law of physics, made much profit selling it to vehicle producers?

RonSwanson

Expert Member

It's OK, as long the phone that he is texting on has an SABC TV License.

Claymore

Executive Member
South Africa's situation is similar to Russia for example. Why are most of the dashcam videos from there? IMHO, it's because of corruption where people can just buy their licenses, so you have people on the roads that don't have a clue what the rules are.
I watch altogether too many dashcam videos, and it's very interesting to see the differences between countries. A fried who's been to Russia several times tells me the drivers there are actually very law-abiding.

ForceFate

Honorary Master
I watch altogether too many dashcam videos, and it's very interesting to see the differences between countries. A fried who's been to Russia several times tells me the drivers there are actually very law-abiding.
In large metros like Moscow and St. Petersburg perhaps?

TheChamp

Honorary Master
So where are all the dashcam videos coming from?