McLaren driver arrested for speeding at 232 km/h in Gauteng.

VooDooC

Expert Member
If I look at how the majority of people drive on our highways, even the ones who actually stay at the speed limits, I do not want some amped up yuppy doing 240 on a highway.

Speedsters have this "I'm faster so I have right of way" attitude, they get frustrated if someone is driving at the speed limit, they throw a fit and do stupid things and boom they drive into a ****ing car while changing lanes.

I don't care how good a driver you are, at 240 if someone suddenly swerves in front of you to try and dodge something, you're ****ed. It's not always possible to see how fast someone in your rear view mirror is driving, at least if you know there's a limit of 120 you have an idea of how much time you have to change lanes.

This is not just a taxi thing, it's a human thing. People will sometimes cut you off, you have a much better chance of avoiding an accident at 120 than 240

dlk001

Executive Member

Man clocks 240km/h on N1 in Limpopo​

A 37-year-old man was arrested after he drove at 240km/h on the N1 in Limpopo, the provincial transport and community safety department said on Wednesday.

Department spokesperson Matome Moremi-Taueatsoala said the man was arrested on the N1 in Pienaarsrivier late on Monday afternoon.

He was driving in a Mercedes-Benz C220d AMG.

Moremi said the man was detained at Pienaarsrivier police station and charged with reckless and negligent driving.

He also faced additional charges in terms of the National Road Traffic Act. 1610625821306.png

ilikepi

The driver of a white McLaren was arrested for allegedly speeding at 232 km/h in Gauteng.

According to the provincial traffic department’s high-speed unit, the 42-year-old McLaren driver was clocked at almost double the indicated speed limit of 120 km/h. The department did not say on which road the offence was committed.

The same speeding operation furthermore saw the arrest of three other speedsters, in addition to the driver of what looks like a 570S. According to the department, a 46-year-old was nabbed at 171 km/h and a 29-year-old at 170 km/h, while a 28-year-old was caught at 164 km/h in a 100 km/h zone.

The four drivers are expected to face charges of reckless driving and exceeding the speed limit.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
It is not an attitude. It is the law, you should make way for faster vehicles.
Only when it's safe to do so, I do take my time to access the situation for safety, especially when there's a raging lunatic behind me, you don't want to change a lane only to find that the lunatic has grown impatient and moved over to the same lane.

johnjm

Expert Member
It is not an attitude. It is the law, you should make way for faster vehicles.

+1

The law actually states that you need to make way for faster vehicles behind you when it is safe to do so.

For years now, if someone is hogging the fast lane I don’t site behind then and complain. I pass them on the left.

If I have time and space to pass on the left, then they definitely had time and space to make way. So many of these types.

ForceFate

Honorary Master
+1

The law actually states that you need to make way for faster vehicles behind you when it is safe to do so.

For years now, if someone is hogging the fast lane I don’t site behind then and complain. I pass them on the left.

If I have time and space to pass on the left, then they definitely had time and space to make way. So many of these types.
Isn't it an illegal manoeuvre?

ForceFate

Honorary Master
Only if you can find a South African law that says it is, may the odds be ever in your favor.
Technically a rule...

I've on multiple occasions seen people overtake on the shoulder, which in itself is a dangerous move.

ForceFate

Honorary Master
Overtaking on the shoulder is illegal. Overtaking on the left on a multi-lane road isn't.
Fair point

Overtaking on the left (like overtaking before the car in front completes an overtaking manoeuvre) on a single lane road also illegal.

Oldfut

I have just come back from 3 000km odd of travelling by road in SA and I think speeding is playing Russian roulette. There were probably 10 incidents where there was overtaking or turning across and into oncoming traffic, on a solid barrier line with limited sight distance, vehicles stopped in the road and then seriously potholed and undulating sections. Higher speeds make all these hazards more serious.

Claymore

Executive Member
So where are all the dashcam videos coming from?
It started because in Russia, if a car hits a pedestrian, there's an automatic assumption of guilt for the driver. Pedestrians were faking being hit by cars, and threatening the drivers in order to get keep-quiet money, so lots of drivers starting fitting dashcams to prove their innocence.

Cray

Honorary Master
I have just come back from 3 000km odd of travelling by road in SA and I think speeding is playing Russian roulette. There were probably 10 incidents where there was overtaking or turning across and into oncoming traffic, on a solid barrier line with limited sight distance, vehicles stopped in the road and then seriously potholed and undulating sections. Higher speeds make all these hazards more serious.
This, reckless overtaking is so common. I drove 1600km over Christmas on not very busy roads and still saw a number of highly dangerous and illegal overtaking manoeuvers with people going across the solid line to overtake. It's no surprise that our road death toll so high, and you can see some of those attitudes in this thread.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
Looks at my kia picanto 1.0 ... Loving that it be damn hard to break any speeding laws even if I tried
Our speed limits are very easy to beat, I don't know what's the performance like on a Picanto, My brother had a 1.0l Yaris, it felt more powerful than the 50kW it was quoted for, there was a year he couldn't renew the car license because of speeding tickets.

qscwbt

Expert Member
The N1. :p Wonder if some airstrips would allow it (small ones might be long enough?) but ya it's an interesting point. Local track isn't very suitable.
The ford ST club had an event where the metro cops close of a road somewhere and then they do top end runs with a speed trap to record speeds.