McLaren driver arrested for speeding at 232 km/h in Gauteng.

Supervan II

Expert Member
Speed is relative.

And the wrong speed for the given circumstances is what is dangerous, irrelevant at what speed, eg:
120 km/h during a Jhb thunderstorm is equally as dangerous as crawling along at 10 km/h on a National freeway where the speed limit is 120 km/h.

But yeah, "Speed Kills" and all pilots and racing drivers have been killed due to "speeding" :rolleyes:

ForceFate

Honorary Master
Speed is relative.

And the wrong speed for the given circumstances is what is dangerous, irrelevant at what speed, eg:
120 km/h during a Jhb thunderstorm is equally as dangerous as crawling along at 10 km/h on a National freeway where the speed limit is 120 km/h.

But yeah, "Speed Kills" and all pilots and racing drivers have been killed due to "speeding" :rolleyes:

You're comparing controlled environment of a track; c/w marshalls, tyre barriers and onsite medical facility, with chaos of public roads?

Remove ATC and see what happens.

Supervan II

Expert Member
You're comparing controlled environment of a track; c/w marshalls, tyre barriers and onsite medical facility, with chaos of public roads?

Remove ATC and see what happens.
Qué? What controlled environment?

Read my post again. Slowly.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Speed is relative.

Would have failed your marketing course for sure. You'd have some long paragraph as a slogan instead of "Speed kills", right?

Sollie

Honorary Master
Qué? What controlled environment?

Read my post again. Slowly.
How slow? Too slow might bore my duty neuron to sleep. At what point does it start making different sense?
Moer mekaar, ek haat die vrede. I think that duty neuron is taking time off. ;)

He is saying a 120km/h might still be too fast. Think of a thundershower on the highway when you can hardly see 10m with the wipers going full blast. Yet some idiot will still attempt it.

Likewise, that ahole doing 10km/h in the middle lane. There is a reason the minimum speed limit is 40km/h. It also does not mean try 40km/h in the middle lane.

As such it's not only speed that kills, but also stupidity. You can speed in the correct place, like a race track - a controlled environment. That does not mean a highway is a race track. That's why he says it relative.

So yes, also correct, it's also relative.

On that note: I have a pet theory that idiots chase flying ants, they wait until it rains before getting into their cars to come out ...

ForceFate

Honorary Master
Moer mekaar, ek haat die vrede. I think that duty neuron is taking time off. ;)

He is saying a 120km/h might still be too fast. Think of a thundershower on the highway when you can hardly see 10m with the wipers going full blast. Yet some idiot will still attempt it.

Likewise, that ahole doing 10km/h in the middle lane. There is a reason the minimum speed limit is 40km/h. It also does not mean try 40km/h in the middle lane.

As such it's not only speed that kills, but also stupidity. You can speed in the correct place, like a race track - a controlled environment. That does not mean a highway is a race track. That's why he says it relative.

So yes, also correct, it's also relative.

On that note: I have a pet theory that idiots chase flying ants, they wait until it rains before getting into their cars to come out ...
Thank you

Oh, I always found a way to escape a precarious situation. I never needed to bulldoze my way out.

Claymore

Executive Member
For some reason, when there's rain on the freeway, and I'm maintaining a safe, slower speed on the freeway, the vehicles hurtling past at 140+ are often double-cabs, which are probably among the least safe vehicles to be doing higher speeds.

wingnut771

Honorary Master
For some reason, when there's rain on the freeway, and I'm maintaining a safe, slower speed on the freeway, the vehicles hurtling past at 140+ are often double-cabs, which are probably among the least safe vehicles to be doing higher speeds.
Anything with wide tyres.

ForceFate

Honorary Master
Standing water yeah. Wide tyres like the mclaren aquaplane very easily. ;)
I felt it once driving a 325i. I could feel the rear end struggling for grip each time I touched 80km/h in the pouring rain. Also, the tyre grooves weren't necessarily meant for rain.

This type of groove but closer together and narrower images (1).jpeg
I think they were 245mm wide. Or maybe 225. I don't recall exact sizes