Meat/braai Smoker help

Zenbaas

Honorary Master
Megamaster also having something, but its around R8k
I actually saw one of these today. It's really well built. Very solid and weighs a ton. Looks like it could very well last a loooong time with very decent finishes. I'm seriously considering buying one.

GoB

Expert Member
I have a 37cm (tiny) Weber smokey mountain. The Terrace Leisure looks like an imitation of it (slightly bigger). The baby Weber has 2 racks and each rack can fit either a spatchcock chicken, 3kg brisket or Angelfish - big enough for me.

The Weber costs R4000 and has a decent porcelain enamel coating, with triple plated grills. Not sure how the Terrace Leisure would compare but could be worth it at 1/4 of the price. I would look at the coating to see whether it can be kept clean. Then not sure how the lack of a dome on top would affect droplets falling back down on to the meat - could also be a non-issue.

handyman007

I have a 37cm (tiny) Weber smokey mountain. The Terrace Leisure looks like an imitation of it (slightly bigger). The baby Weber has 2 racks and each rack can fit either a spatchcock chicken, 3kg brisket or Angelfish - big enough for me.

The Weber costs R4000 and has a decent porcelain enamel coating, with triple plated grills. Not sure how the Terrace Leisure would compare but could be worth it at 1/4 of the price. I would look at the coating to see whether it can be kept clean. Then not sure how the lack of a dome on top would affect droplets falling back down on to the meat - could also be a non-issue.
Thank you. Yes, the Terrace Leisure is 43cm x 43cm by 81cm and the Weber is 37cm x 37cm x 80cm.

cronjec

I went ahead and picked up the Terrace Leisure smoker at Makro. Quality is ok for the R1000 price I feel. It has a separate charcoal bowl with grid, water bowl and 2 cooking grids. Grids are enamel coated steel - not stainless.

The cooking grids are 40cm in diameter and spaced 17cm apart vertically. The drum body (without legs) is also approximately 40cm in height with an additional 16-17cm in the dome lid. Thermometer is marked in both Fahrenheit and Celsius.

It is sturdy enough, but the the sheet metal is quite thin (probably expected for the price). My biggest gripe is the paint job. Inside is not painted and has some ugly smudges and over-spray at the screw and ventilation holes. I definitely will be coating the inside with some heat resistant spray paint before using it. See below.

manual.png

inside01.png

top.png

dome-top.png

inside-paint01.png

inside-dome01.png

Last edited:

handyman007

I went ahead and picked up the Terrace Leisure smoker at Makro. Quality is ok for the R1000 price I feel. It has a separate charcoal bowl with grid, water bowl and 2 cooking grids. Grids are enamel coated steel - not stainless.

The cooking grids are 40cm indiameter and spaced 17cm apart horizontally. The drum body (without legs) is also approximately 40cm in height with an additional 16-17cm in the dome lid. Thermometer is marked in both Fahrenheit and Celsius.

It is sturdy enough, but the the sheet metal is quite thin (probably expected for the price). My biggest gripe is the paint job. Inside is not painted and has some ugly smudges and over-spray at the screw and ventilation holes. I definitely will be coating the inside with some heat resistant spray paint before using it. See below.

View attachment 557983

View attachment 557985

View attachment 557987

View attachment 557989

View attachment 557991

View attachment 557993
Thanks. Please post your results of your first smoke.

GoB

Expert Member
Looks cool to me. Some people like patinas to build up in their smokers but I prefer to wash off everything.

Simplest is marinated spatchcock chicken I found out recently. Add dry rub, then 3h+ smoking then grill on the leftover charcoal. It will turn into a flame grill with the chicken fat.

Pork shoulder always works when brined overnight.

Fish comes out great but some say that your smoker must be cleaned thoroughly afterwards.

I've also smoked chicken sausage which comes out perfectly - no moisture is lost and it still browns.

Brisket is tricky because the fat must be rendered but the meat not dried out. I think a cut with more fat is better, but any fat must be trimmed down to a 5mm layer.

The_David

I tried the weber smoking snake method this weekend. Cooked a 2.5kg peice of pork tenderloin on the bone. used a mix of cherry and maple wood shavings as the smoke fuel ontop of a row of two wide and one ontop charcoal around 3/4 of the weber. After about 8 hours of low burn I took the meat off. The fire was only about half way burnt but the meat was just perfect. Had a great smokey taste to it.
I had removed the skin and made crackling of that separately. Deffinately doing that again.

GoB

Expert Member
Also have to mention now that I bought 2.5kg Namibian pork neck at R90/kg at food lovers.
It seems expensive, but I didn't need to trim, brine, or wrap it.
Ended up with loads of incredibly moist, crumbling meat - much better than any ham.

handyman007

The cooking grids are 40cm in diameter and spaced 17cm apart vertically. The drum body (without legs) is also approximately 40cm in height with an additional 16-17cm in the dome lid. Thermometer is marked in both Fahrenheit and Celsius.

View attachment 557983

View attachment 557985

View attachment 557987

View attachment 557989

View attachment 557991

View attachment 557993
Have you tested this smoker?