Mecer 1000va offline ups - mute beeping?

joshuatree

Expert Member
Which software can I use to disable 10s beep on kstar ?
From a review on Takealot :

Alexander

14 December 2019

NB: IF YOU WANT TO TURN OFF THE BEEPING. Download the UPSilon software (link and serial code on included pamphlet). Note: other UPS software does not pick up this UPS. You must use UPSilon.Once installed run the software ( might have to right click in task bar and click open), click settings, change communication type to: Mega(USB). Save, exit and restart the software. It should now detect the UPS when plugged in with the cable. Then click 'Control', then click 'UPS Beep On/Off'

Vicari0

From a review on Takealot :

Alexander

14 December 2019

NB: IF YOU WANT TO TURN OFF THE BEEPING. Download the UPSilon software (link and serial code on included pamphlet). Note: other UPS software does not pick up this UPS. You must use UPSilon.Once installed run the software ( might have to right click in task bar and click open), click settings, change communication type to: Mega(USB). Save, exit and restart the software. It should now detect the UPS when plugged in with the cable. Then click 'Control', then click 'UPS Beep On/Off'

Thanks , I have installed however selecting usb option doesn’t pickup the UPS :( .. in fact every option fails to pickup UPS. Driver has been installed

Vuilhaas

My theory on this one is that it is related, probably a failsafe built in by the manufacturer. This is based on my own experience of experimenting with these UPS's, the design is specifically for a short run time.
Based on what I've seen running a 300w UPS on a load of around 100w for an hour caused damage purely due to the heat generated.
Both my Mecer Ups's turn off at exactly 2 hours too. According to Viewpower, the one battery is at 70% and the other at 66%.

I am almost positive that they have a built in auto shutdown, regardless of load or battery level. There doesn't seem to be any way (in Viewpower anyway) to disable this "feature". I'm assuming it's to protect the ups or battery as they are not really designed for long run back up use...

Not a major problem as I just switch them back on one to make it through load shedding.

Anyone know if this can be disabled somehow though?

ld13

Honorary Master

We have a thread or two dedicated to this problem already. So far there is no solution. I don't have an oscilloscope otherwise I would've gladly gutted my USP to try to 'see' what happens right around the shutoff.

UberCode

Hi all. Just want to mention here that the Viewpower software must be the worst I've ever used in my entire life. A java app that runs 100% on a CPU core while hosting a web server. Awful. I found a much smaller, efficient app that shows you everything you need without destroying your pc: https://foxylab.com/UPSAssistant.php?en
It actually supports the Mustek communication protocol (which is what the Mecer units use).

It also has a nice little button at the top to disable the beeper. The only issues I have left are that the Mecer UPS's disconnect every 10 seconds - you hear the windows sound for a USB device disconnecting over and over again.

So the hardware side of the communication and the software side are both abysmal. But I thought I'd let you guys know about that software. It eases the pain a bit :p

The other thing to note is that when the UPS fully drains due to loadshedding, etc, the UPS loses it's settings and the beeper will be enabled again when power comes back. Also frustrating.

I'm guessing this is why APC UPS's cost much more than these Mecer, RCT, etc units (all seem to be the same hardware - Mustek). I think they likely have proper drivers that actually function. the point of a UPS with a pc attached is to notify the pc to turn off while it keeps the power on for a few minutes. These cheap units can't even get that right without ruining the performance of your pc.

That turned into a bit of a rant, sorry. I've spent a lot of time investigating how they work as I wanted to make my own app that would turn the beeper off automatically from a raspberry pi (was looking at https://networkupstools.org) but everytime I get going, Loadshedding stops and I don't want to waste too much time fixing this.

Hope this info helps anyone :thumbsup:

Vuilhaas

Cool, thanks for the feedback all. @UberCode, I will check out the link, thanks. Viewpower really isn't great so any improvement would be welcome!

MandM

Hi all. Just want to mention here that the Viewpower software must be the worst I've ever used in my entire life. A java app that runs 100% on a CPU core while hosting a web server. Awful. I found a much smaller, efficient app that shows you everything you need without destroying your pc: https://foxylab.com/UPSAssistant.php?en
It actually supports the Mustek communication protocol (which is what the Mecer units use).

It also has a nice little button at the top to disable the beeper. The only issues I have left are that the Mecer UPS's disconnect every 10 seconds - you hear the windows sound for a USB device disconnecting over and over again.

So the hardware side of the communication and the software side are both abysmal. But I thought I'd let you guys know about that software. It eases the pain a bit :p

The other thing to note is that when the UPS fully drains due to loadshedding, etc, the UPS loses it's settings and the beeper will be enabled again when power comes back. Also frustrating.

I'm guessing this is why APC UPS's cost much more than these Mecer, RCT, etc units (all seem to be the same hardware - Mustek). I think they likely have proper drivers that actually function. the point of a UPS with a pc attached is to notify the pc to turn off while it keeps the power on for a few minutes. These cheap units can't even get that right without ruining the performance of your pc.

That turned into a bit of a rant, sorry. I've spent a lot of time investigating how they work as I wanted to make my own app that would turn the beeper off automatically from a raspberry pi (was looking at https://networkupstools.org) but everytime I get going, Loadshedding stops and I don't want to waste too much time fixing this.

I've also been using UPSAssistant for a while now after getting fed-up with ViewPower. It is a great improvement!

Vuilhaas

It's suuuuuper annoying that they don't remember the settings after being powered off. I'm tempted to just rip the damn speakers out at this point :laugh:

hj2k_x

Honorary Master
Both my Mecer Ups's turn off at exactly 2 hours too. According to Viewpower, the one battery is at 70% and the other at 66%.

I am almost positive that they have a built in auto shutdown, regardless of load or battery level. There doesn't seem to be any way (in Viewpower anyway) to disable this "feature". I'm assuming it's to protect the ups or battery as they are not really designed for long run back up use...

Not a major problem as I just switch them back on one to make it through load shedding.

I think so too. My little UPS was getting pretty warm when running through loadshedding, on minimal load. Not keen to burn the house down, so I've unplugged the thing and just installed a proper alarm battery to last through multiple rounds of loadshedding instead. I think the damn irritating beeping was indeed there for a reason. These things are not designed to run for long periods, regardless of load.

Vuilhaas

I think so too. My little UPS was getting pretty warm when running through loadshedding, on minimal load. Not keen to burn the house down, so I've unplugged the thing and just installed a proper alarm battery to last through multiple rounds of loadshedding instead. I think the damn irritating beeping was indeed there for a reason. These things are not designed to run for long periods, regardless of load.
For sure, completely agree.

Would you mind sharing your setup? I've seen a few people use the Sherlotronics system, such as this one:
Check this out on takealot: SherloTronics 6.4A Battery Backup Power Supply https://www.takealot.com/sherlotronics-6-4a-battery-backup-power-supply/PLID61031389

hj2k_x

Honorary Master
For sure, completely agree.

Would you mind sharing your setup? I've seen a few people use the Sherlotronics system, such as this one:
Check this out on takealot: SherloTronics 6.4A Battery Backup Power Supply https://www.takealot.com/sherlotronics-6-4a-battery-backup-power-supply/PLID61031389
I didn't want to mess about so I got our alarm guys to source and install the thing. It looks a bit like that one in the link. An 18amp battery is in it, is what I'm told...

Snugglebug

Guys no need to destroy the speaker/risk damaging it..it may very well in fact be needed to warn you of impending failure when the batteries start losing their capacity...

It's very easy to disable it via s/w and I can confirm it works for both the 2000 and 1000VA models ,and the settings are not lost on disconnecting laptop or switching off the UPS.

I'll see what I can do to upload the s/w as a image file later tonight..

Can I please get the image/file? The alarm in driving us nuts when the power goes off. Can you perhaps email it to me on ecvanzyl@gmail.com? Thanks!

Pegasus

Executive Member
Guys no need to destroy the speaker/risk damaging it..it may very well in fact be needed to warn you of impending failure when the batteries start losing their capacity...

It's very easy to disable it via s/w and I can confirm it works for both the 2000 and 1000VA models ,and the settings are not lost on disconnecting laptop or switching off the UPS.

I'll see what I can do to upload the s/w as a image file later tonight..

Is their an OSX version of the software?

Never mind. I see someone posted it.

MirageF1

Executive Member
Can I please get the image/file? The alarm in driving us nuts when the power goes off. Can you perhaps email it to me on ecvanzyl@gmail.com? Thanks!

Reading threads helps.

Vuilhaas

Sorry for the thread necro, but now that I don't need the UPS anymore I got really brave and decided to open it up. On the first one, I managed to unscrew the little plastic speaker cover and remove the metal disc. I screwed it back together and no more beeps! Nice thing is that if you really want to, you can just put the disc back in and the speaker will work again.

On the second one... Well I buggered it up and accidentally ripped the speaker off :ROFL: It still works but will never beep again :ROFL:

If you do decide to try this, please done electrocute yourself... Unplug the batteries first!

GrayW

Can anyone tell me how to connect my Mac to my UPS (Mecer 1000 VU) so that I can change the default beep settings? I have the ViewPower software, I have the USB cable that came with the UPS (new Mac only has USB ports) but a can't seem to get the two talking to each other.

fire2029

Brilliant. Ok, so to help any others that find this thread. I had to use IE not chrome as it requires flash. You click the green circle thing that says "real-time control" then go to Alarm control and switch it to off.
View attachment 759928

I did find this updated version of the software from here https://www.power-software-download.com/viewpower.html https://www.dropbox.com/s/wvxix5qucbd789c/installViewPowerHTML Windows (1).zip?dl=0 This works better on Chrome.
THanks. Must be the only app where IE is preferred over Chrome/Firefox..