Mecer 2400VA Inverter (Community Support)

beans100

Honorary Master
You sure you got last years pricing correct?
according to web archive on 31 march 2019 it was already R4,895
Yes, it came down after March (think there was also load shedding beginning of 2019 that pushed it up slightly) . I have screenshots at work, I was looking at buying end of last year, but for some reason, put it off (for the millionth time).
I remember I could've bought the inverter separately, for R1800 and a battery for R2000. And decided that there wasn't a big difference buy the already assembled unit from Geewiz.
Well, there was talks by some about a newer version inverter, think @PappaSmurf said he had newer one, maybe that could've played a part in the price difference.

isie

Honorary Master
Yes, it came down after March (think there was also load shedding beginning of 2019 that pushed it up slightly) . I have screenshots at work, I was looking at buying end of last year, but for some reason, put it off (for the millionth time).
I remember I could've bought the inverter separately, for R1800 and a battery for R2000. And decided that there wasn't a big difference buy the already assembled unit from Geewiz.
Well, there was talks by some about a newer version inverter, think @PappaSmurf said he had newer one, maybe that could've played a part in the price difference.
yep there is a new model - older one fan never shut off

Jimmy

Hey guys thinking of buying this:
Mecer 2400VA Inverter + 2x 100AH Battery (8 HOUR BATTERY LIFE) KIT - 1440W

Costs R9895. I am wondering - will it will be able to power 2 computers and a laptop during loadshedding?

Or should I rather buy 2 x Mecer 1200VA Inverter + 100AH Battery (4 HOUR BATTERY LIFE) KIT - 720W - then I can use 1 for a single computer and the router and the other for the other computer and the laptop.

Last edited:

RedViking

Nord of the South
Hey guys thinking of buying this:
Mecer 2400VA Inverter + 2x 100AH Battery (8 HOUR BATTERY LIFE) KIT - 1440W

Costs R9895. I am wondering - will it will be able to power 2 computers and a laptop during loadshedding?

Or should I rather buy 2 Mecer 1200VA Inverter + 100AH Battery (4 HOUR BATTERY LIFE) KIT - 720W - then I can use 1 for a single computer and the router and the other for the other computer and the laptop.
Both will be able to power 2 computers + Laptop easily for general work.
Go with Deep Cycle batteries min. if possible.
For calculations on how long refer to the first posts in this thread.

Papa Smurf

Honorary Master
that looks like the one i have, the new version
you can tell by the On/Off button that is now horizontal

cyb3rt

Hi guys, wow this is a big thread. Could not find what I was looking for on the search so posting here and hoping for some informed feedback..

I bought the Mecer 2400VA Inverter + 2x105Ah deep cycle batteries from Geewiz on 2019/03/19 (just over a year ago). I do run the unit every couple of weeks a couple of times just to keep it active and working every now and then when we don't have load shedding. Never drained the batteries under 25% tho.

I noticed now that the batteries do not seem to keep charge anymore. I plug it into the wall, and see it charging to 100% and get the audible noise that it hit full charge and then only the fan noise is present still. As soon as I remove the wall plug to activate the unit with a PC connected, it almost instantly drops to 75%, and seconds later (less than a minute) drops to 50% and same thing to 25%..

I see on Geewiz they have a 1 year guarantee which I am literally out of with 1 month. Is there anything I can do myself to test or possibly provide more info on?

Speedster

Executive Member
Hi guys, wow this is a big thread. Could not find what I was looking for on the search so posting here and hoping for some informed feedback..

I bought the Mecer 2400VA Inverter + 2x105Ah deep cycle batteries from Geewiz on 2019/03/19 (just over a year ago). I do run the unit every couple of weeks a couple of times just to keep it active and working every now and then when we don't have load shedding. Never drained the batteries under 25% tho.

I noticed now that the batteries do not seem to keep charge anymore. I plug it into the wall, and see it charging to 100% and get the audible noise that it hit full charge and then only the fan noise is present still. As soon as I remove the wall plug to activate the unit with a PC connected, it almost instantly drops to 75%, and seconds later (less than a minute) drops to 50% and same thing to 25%..

I see on Geewiz they have a 1 year guarantee which I am literally out of with 1 month. Is there anything I can do myself to test or possibly provide more info on?
Lead acid batteries should never be drained below 50%. I fear you might have killed them

Papa Smurf

Honorary Master

my new Mecer 2400VA takes forever to finally shut the **** up after charging
at first i thought there was something wrong with it
your batteries are only fully charged after the fan switches off

are you sure you are charging them all the way?

Grouter

Expert Member

Do you leave it plugged in all the time? It needs to maintain a float charge.

Papa Smurf

Honorary Master
agree
mine is plugged in running 24/7
both batteries are 4 or 5 years old and stable at 13.6v each

thechamp

Honorary Master
I think that's the problem, some people instead of running their stuff inline on the inverter prefer to just leave it unplugged if there's no loadshedding.

cyb3rt

It was in the beginning, but I moved it into a spare bedroom about 30-45 days ago and forgot / neglected to plug is back in unfortunately. Think that could have damaged the batteries?

@Speedster they (almost) never ran under 50% but I do recall once that it flipped lower but then I stopped using it so it could charge, cant say what exact percentage it was on though. But yeah it was not a constant thing of running below 50 or any munch than that

Support guy at Geewiz suggested I take the whole thing to a car battery place to get tested..

EDIT: I tested it now on load, it goes down to 25% in about 2 minutes after stopping its charge from the wall, including the fan, so its just idle. I took it off the wall, and after getting to 25% it constantly flips the 50% marking on and off. Tested for 15 minutes long where it was flashing 50% on and off continuously (maybe 2 seconds off, then 1 second on, and repeat). Stopped the test as I don't want them running entirely flat..

Last edited:

Papa Smurf

Honorary Master
neh 45 days wont do **** all to any battery to damage it
something else ****ed them up, like discharging them too far, these arent lithiums, they are still lead acid based batteries that need nurturing to a certain point

i would suggest going lithium now, sell a kidney or a child and buy Drop In Lead Acid Replacements from Blue Nova, will last you many years under abuse

its lithium but thinks it is lead acid due to the built in battery management system, perfect for our Mecer2400 inverters

1589384800769.png

cyb3rt

Alright thanks for the responses!

I will take it to a battery place just to make sure. But wow those Blue Nova ones are expensive, dayum! Will keep them in mind tho