Mecer 2400VA Inverter (Community Support)

Speedster

Executive Member
Alright thanks for the responses!

I will take it to a battery place just to make sure. But wow those Blue Nova ones are expensive, dayum! Will keep them in mind tho
Indeed, it's big chunk of cash. Although if you work out the price per cycle over their lifetime it's not so bad.

Grouter

Expert Member
I just spent R5300 on another 2 x 105ah lead calcium batteries for my little Mecer 2400 inverter to add to the existing 2 in order to extend my runtime. The shedding is coming people.

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
I need get inverter for clients. 2x charging units failed on none mecer units. Struggling to find anything yet.

Papa Smurf

Honorary Master
1 year old. I just hooked them up in series, then in parallel to the existing 2. Hope they all get along with one another... :p

View attachment 844739
excellent, you will be able to tell if you get 4 voltage readers and hook up to ea battery, i do something similar
you dont want batteries fighting each other and pulling the array down

also be careful of your cabling length there, if it works then great, but otherwise every single cable you use in 4 batteries should ideally be the exact same length, i do that to my 10 batteries in my caravan and they love it, i use method 3 here for that

Grouter

Expert Member
Ja, I know about cable lengths, but the fat ones I used, and the difference being a few inches....pfft. :)
Those two red (13.6v) readings... - won't they always be the same as long as they are both connected? I'd wager you'll get a different reading on each if you disconnect them from one another for a few hours.

Edit: "Method 3" in your link is parallel - different to my series parallel (4 x 12v to make 24v).

Papa Smurf

Honorary Master
Ja, I know about cable lengths, but the fat ones I used, and the difference being a few inches....pfft. :)
Those two red (13.6v) readings... - won't they always be the same as long as they are both connected? I'd wager you'll get a different reading on each if you disconnect them from one another for a few hours.

Edit: "Method 3" in your link is parallel - different to my series parallel (4 x 12v to make 24v).
each volt meter is on its own 12v battery and the blue one is over both
No, when i was running these batteries on my APC Inverter there was about 0.4v defference between the 2 which bothered me, nice to see its balance now on the 2400VA Inverter

Papa Smurf

Honorary Master
same as if you go measure a trucks battery array, no 2 batteries are ever the same, i have tested this numerous times and its weird, i dont know enough about electronics to know why

Grouter

Expert Member
Well thinking back to my tech college days (and we're talking the early eighties here...), I would say that as long as the batteries remain connected in parallel, you will get the same reading wherever you test in the circuit. All 12 cells (6 in each battery) will equalize themselves to the value of the lowest common denominator: ie: the weakest cell.

Whenever I'm stuck with an electrical problem I always try and use the water analogy:

Imagine 2 identically sized containers of water, side by side. One has 400ml of water in it, the other has 600ml. Now connect the two containers together with a piece of hose, ensuring the ends of the hose are underwater (piercing the sides of the containers in other words, not dropped in the top like a drinking straw). What's going to happen? Answer: both containers will now have exactly 500ml of water in them.

Papa Smurf

Honorary Master
Well thinking back to my tech college days (and we're talking the early eighties here...), I would say that as long as the batteries remain connected in parallel, you will get the same reading wherever you test in the circuit. All 12 cells (6 in each battery) will equalize themselves to the value of the lowest common denominator: ie: the weakest cell.

Whenever I'm stuck with an electrical problem I always try and use the water analogy:

Imagine 2 identically sized containers of water, side by side. One has 400ml of water in it, the other has 600ml. Now connect the two containers together with a piece of hose, ensuring the ends of the hose are underwater (piercing the sides of the containers in other words, not dropped in the top like a drinking straw). What's going to happen? Answer: both containers will now have exactly 500ml of water in them.
sounds logical, but for some weird reason the way cathodes and anodes travel or whatever voodoo stuff is happening i have always seen 1 battery slightly higher than the other in series on trucks
seen it millions of times over the years
brand new, same make, same batch etc

puzzles the pooh out of me

Düber

sounds logical, but for some weird reason the way cathodes and anodes travel or whatever voodoo stuff is happening i have always seen 1 battery slightly higher than the other in series on trucks
seen it millions of times over the years
brand new, same make, same batch etc

puzzles the pooh out of me
Seen exactly the same as you, seem's like the batteries don't go to college :) .

thechamp

Honorary Master

What do you guys think of this? Looks like something to chase all your loadshedding blues away at a decent price.

RedViking

Nord of the South

What do you guys think of this? Looks like something to chase all your loadshedding blues away at a decent price.
What makes that better compared to for example 2 x 105AH batteries? The cycles?

thechamp

Honorary Master
I am not sure about the cycles but I think the 200ah and much higher DoD can be very useful. Looking at how expensive the basic batteries are I think this is a good deal.