Mecer 2400VA Inverter (Community Support)

Grouter

Expert Member
I blame Geewiz for marketing it as if it's designed specifically for the Mecer inverter, there is nothing special about it that a normal cheap Chinese charge controller cannot do.

But maybe, just maybe there is a connection for it on the inverter PC board? We need a volunteer to rip the inverter apart and check, I was very surprised when people said there is a solar icon on the inverter, could be that the connection is there but was never connected to the exterior of the inverter.
When I opened my Mecer up (to swap out the fan), I did try and look for a solar input on the pc boards. There were a few connector points as I recall, but none labelled "solar" or anything like that. I'm sure there is one there - I guess there must be if there is a solar icon on the front panel. I'd need a circuit diagram, but I couldn't find such a thing.

thechamp

Honorary Master
When I opened my Mecer up (to swap out the fan), I did try and look for a solar input on the pc boards. There were a few connector points as I recall, but none labelled "solar" or anything like that. I'm sure there is one there - I guess there must be if there is a solar icon on the front panel. I'd need a circuit diagram, but I couldn't find such a thing.
Does yours have a solar icon in the display? Can anyone who has try to post a pic?

Umzimbeet

I bought a 24V 1200W UPS on sale many moons ago after we first got to experience loadshedding. I'm on my 3rd set of batteries now.
The UPS has been good for the odd bout of loadshedding and power failures to keep a router, ONT and PC going during the day and a TV and light at night.
But the ballgame has changed with covid, there are 4 PC's needing power and the UPS just doesn't have enough juice to last the 4.5 hours.
I saw that entry where a couple of solar panels and a PWM solar controller were added to the mecer UPS and decided to give it a try.
I bought a solar panel and a PWM solar controller and gave it an extended test. It worked well, it kept the system going for 4 hours easily and when I switched the power back on the batteries were charged in double time. The only issue I found was that the PWM did not go to float charge so I disconnected the PWM.
I have now got an MPPT solar controller and am much happier with the whole setup and confident it wont fry the batteries.
This has turned out to be way more expensive than I wanted but I see this working from home thing going on for a while still and now I have decent backup to keep things up and running when needed.

PWM - I don't trust this one
IMG_20200809_132821.jpg

UPS - basically the same as the mecer
IMG_20200809_131601.jpg

MPPT - I trust this one
IMG_20200809_131450.jpg

Still a bit of tidying up to do
IMG_20200809_131511.jpg

Solar panel specs
IMG_20200716_151951.jpg

Solar panel I installed last week, still need to take care of the wires
IMG_20200809_132100.jpg

MPPT info on my phone - I switched off the power for a minute
Screenshot_20200809_132504_com.victronenergy.victronconnect (1).jpg

thechamp

Honorary Master
Is that inverter a Tedelex?

Edit, never mind I see it is indeed, the name brings back memories.

Vuilhaas

Yes, it is. I'm about 5 mins away from selling it :cautious:
Dammit. I was really hoping that the Mecer solar charger would somehow work "properly" with the Mecer inverter. If it doesn't, then I may as well get a cheaper PWM charger

COMPUTEK

Executive Member
posting this for the simple reason to get to the next page ......
those LARGE images posted by Umzimbeet is pulling this one to a standstill :p

AlphaJohn

Executive Member
Well I finally bought got my remote "Kill A Watt" / Power monitor that I was looking for... and it only cost R325. It was so cheap I use the rest of the budget to get more that I originally spec'ed for.

Bought a Sonoff POW R2 that connects via Wifi allowing me to not only view but also schedule/control my power.
Geewiz also sells them inline with a plug/lead but I opted just for the unit and the saving allowed me to add 2 Sonoff basics as well

The POW R2 to monitor the power going into my inverter and the 2 BasicsR3's onto 2 of the 3 plugs used in the inverter so I can remotely turn them off when I am not at home. The 3rd plug is for my Wifi so would like that to be always on.

If you looking at just getting Basics that's about R140.00, make sure you get Basic R3 (Geewiz dont specify which one they have) in case you wanna play later on.

Edit: Interesting video I found re the Sonoff

Last edited:

wingnut771

Executive Member
Well I finally bought got my remote "Kill A Watt" / Power monitor that I was looking for... and it only cost R325. It was so cheap I use the rest of the budget to get more that I originally spec'ed for.

Bought a Sonoff POW R2 that connects via Wifi allowing me to not only view but also schedule/control my power.
Geewiz also sells them inline with a plug/lead but I opted just for the unit and the saving allowed me to add 2 Sonoff basics as well

The POW R2 to monitor the power going into my inverter and the 2 BasicsR3's onto 2 of the 3 plugs used in the inverter so I can remotely turn them off when I am not at home. The 3rd plug is for my Wifi so would like that to be always on.

If you looking at just getting Basics that's about R140.00, make sure you get Basic R3 (Geewiz dont specify which one they have) in case you wanna play later on.
you forgot the link to this puppy.

AlphaJohn

Executive Member
you forgot the link to this puppy.
I ordered from:
as they are the cheapest. Google did give me others hence the general prices.

But its my 1st time ordering from them so do not know what their service is like (Hence not a link in my original post ;) )

wingnut771

Executive Member
I ordered from:
as they are the cheapest. Google did give me others hence the general prices.

But its my 1st time ordering from them so do not know what their service is like (Hence not a link in my original post ;) )
i was referring to the kill a watt power measuring device for R325. i only see them to R500.

jb921

I’m convinced something is still up with my setup. @Grouter In one of your first tests you said you had a power cut for 2.5 hours and you only needed to charge for another 20 minutes to get back to full. I did the same today. Tested on solar for 2 hours, and switched back to mains at 2:30. My fan literally stopped an hour ago. Also paid attention to the draw on the plug, and it stopped at 8. So still 5.5 hours to get back 2 hours worth of use with solar connected.

wingnut771

Executive Member
I’m convinced something is still up with my setup. @Grouter In one of your first tests you said you had a power cut for 2.5 hours and you only needed to charge for another 20 minutes to get back to full. I did the same today. Tested on solar for 2 hours, and switched back to mains at 2:30. My fan literally stopped an hour ago. Also paid attention to the draw on the plug, and it stopped at 8. So still 5.5 hours to get back 2 hours worth of use with solar connected.
think @Grouter said he's getting 28.8V out his solar controller to the battery.

Napalm

Expert Member
So i connected up the Synapse 1000. It seems good. it's pure sine wave. It is a little bit louder than the Mecer was.

There is a upside, it runs / checks / charges for about 2-3 minutes then fans stops and it's silent the rest of the time. I've noticed it does that about 2 times per day or maybe 3. We haven't had loadshedding now in the last week. I can live with this. It gives cleaner power, my TV doesn't buzz so slightly anymore when power goes to battery's.

On the Mecer2400va it used to have a slight buzzing sound on the TV.

Also the mecer used to charge / cycle the fan running or spinning up for long periods. Then go down again.

I'll monitor and report back if there's any issues once we have some loadshedding events. (With Eskom, you never know)

Speedster

Honorary Master

Edit: Interesting video I found re the Sonoff
I ordered some from banggood on Friday, can't wait to play with them.

The POW R2 is max 15A (the others are 10A), so keep that in mind when you connect up your inverter.

AlphaJohn

Executive Member
I ordered some from banggood on Friday, can't wait to play with them.

The POW R2 is max 15A (the others are 10A), so keep that in mind when you connect up your inverter.
Saw that, its also my main concern. I did set my inverter to 10A charging but will have to watch usage after a power failure till I can go solar for such.

Lucky my main draw will be my gaming PC that will normally be in the wall socket in the study. Lights,Alarm and router do not pull that much. Will have to see how I can automate that later on with something...

Edit Ooh the R270 local price is not so bad if I look at Bangoods price esp when you factor in shipping.

Last edited: