dotcat

High cycle batteries and you've probably been treating them like deep?
Well they are shipped inside the Ellies power Trolley - so can't really choose too much how they are used. Also had no idea what batteries they where as have never opened it up. Live and learn :)

TheChamp

Honorary Master
I have the same batteries, they are five years old now.

The bulging is definitely not a good sign.

Ivork

Expert Member
Hmm, could also be something went wrong with the charge circuit and it over charged the hell out of them.
I would have it checked/tested before destroying a new set of batteries.

dotcat

Hmm, could also be something went wrong with the charge circuit and it over charged the hell out of them.
Yes good point. Will keep a good eye on the voltage when I connect the new ones.

TheLuckmeister

I had the same with my Ellies one. Smelt like vrot eggs.
I just disconnected it and havn't gotten arround to checking it out again. Just assumed battery was done.
Please keep us updated when you replace your batteries @dotcat .

soload00

Review of the latest Mecer 2400VA

Having been a follower of the Mecer 2400VA thread for a while, I am now the proud owner of what seems to be the 3rd generation of this popular backup inverter.

This inverter has seen subtle but important design improvement over the years.

The timeline below is based on what I have read in the forum, please correct me if necessary.

1st Generation

Original display, bar graph display for Battery and Load.
External multiplug power strip.
Noisy fan.

2nd generation

Change to Battery and Load display, On/Off button.
Inverter incorporated into battery cabinet, horizontally mounted.
Power outlets built into inverter.

3rd generation

Inverter vertically mounted in battery cabinet.
Intelligent fan feature.

This review is of the latest model, which I refer to as 3rd generation. I am not sure when it was released, and which vendors are stocking it. Presumably it will become the standard model on offer soon, when all old stock is sold?

I acquired the unit though an advert on a popular on line forum (Carbonite), though the same offer was was also advertised on MBB. It did not come with any warranty, so I was able to break the seal, and peek into the inside of the inverter.

Review

The Mecer 2400VA is supplied as a well integrated package deal, consisting of a sturdy battery cabinet, 2 Deltec 100AH batteries and the well known Mecer 2400VA 1440W inverter.

The cabinet is fitted with high quality castor wheels, which can be locked to prevent movement.

3 standard 16A 3pin South African sockets are supplied, built into the Mecer inverter case.

The inverter is vertically mounted, with the control panel facing upwards, easily accessible when standing over the cabinet. The power outlets are accessible from the rear of the battery cabinet. The inverter fuse, battery terminals and 10A/20A switch are at the rear of the inverter, so only accessible by sliding the inverter upwards and out of the battery cabinet.

The batteries are securely held down with a substantial battery bracket.

The operation of the inverter is the same as previous generation models.

When the inverter is connected to battery and mains power,and the On/Off switch pressed, the display lights up, and after a brief LED test, goes into operational mode. Pressing the On/Off switch toggles between Online and Standby mode.

When in Online mode the green LED is steady On to indicate fully charged , or flashing when in charging mode.

Good news is that the fan is just audible (comparable to a desktop PC fan) when running in the 10A charge mode, and stops immediately when the batteries are fully charged.

The bulk or absorption charge voltage across both batteries is 28.5V and the float voltage is 27.5V

After a power outage, and subsequent battery discharge, the inverter charges the batteries at full absorption charge voltage for an extended period. I have not done any research into how long it charges for, and whether it monitors the battery state of charge to determine how long to charge.

It could be a fixed time period, as after a 5 min power outage, the inverter charged for nearly an hour.

The extended charging time is a very desirable feature.

Those readers that frequent http://powerforum.co.za or MBB threads discussing the more advanced inverters such as Mecer 3000-5000VA and the many Axpert clones (sold under many brand names including Mecer) will know of the well known software bug built into all Axpert clones.

The bug, known as the premature float bug often leads to undercharged batteries, under our load shedding conditions. After a 2 hour outage, the Axpert inverters will often bulk charge the batteries for maybe 10-15 minutes, then return to float charge, before the batteries are fully charged!

Like all 2400VA models, the inverter does not monitor the battery voltage, and shut down at a predetermined cutoff voltage, so batteries can be damaged, if the inverter is run until the batteries run flat.

With the battery cover off, the batteries are visible, and the normal 2 cable battery cable and lugs are still supplied, not the heavy duty battery cables used in higher capacity inverters such as the Mecer 5000VA.

This could be seen as a slight disadvantage of an integrated package with batteries and inverter all in 1 box. The cover has to be taken off to check the battery charge light, or to individually charge a battery.

I replaced the cover when it was positioned next to the TV, router, decoder etc, but did not replace the cover screws, to make it easier to access the batteries.

Also the battery cabinet with batteries installed is very heavy (63Kg). It can be lifted by 2 persons, but I dismantled it and removed a battery, to make the unit lighter, when transporting the unit.

Peeking into the inverter itself, after removing a lot of small cover screws, the quality of the design and manufacture is clear. The printed circuit board is very well made, with all components and connectors clearly labelled.

The mains lead to the outlet sockets is connected to the PC board with push on lugs.

Further updates to this review will be posted, when I have more experience with the unit.

1602765210184.png 1602765246003.png

Stokstert

Executive Member
I personally like the Geewiz trolley with the inverter on top more, but taste differs so the people say.

1602771845033.png

I myself got me the GeeWiz Axpert Type 3000VA (3000W) PURE Sine Wave Inverter - PV18-3K,
as I operate my oxygen concentrator with it during load shedding at night.
1602772169717.png

Last edited:

YeOldeOke

This Mecer 1200VA is quieter than I expected reading through this thread, pleasantly surprised.

I've got 1x 200Ah battery connected. and the charge set to 10A, I suppose that should be set to 20A for this battery?

So whats happened to the bloody loadshedding?? :mad:

wingnut771

Honorary Master
This Mecer 1200VA is quieter than I expected reading through this thread, pleasantly surprised.

I've got 1x 200Ah battery connected. and the charge set to 10A, I suppose that should be set to 20A for this battery?

Low and slow is the way to go.

AlphaJohn

Executive Member
My DIY Ghetto box :D

IMG_20201017_110251.jpg

Simple ACM routed & folded with 12mm base and Boulders Warehouse wheels, designed to have 2mm clearance from the floor so I can wheel it but not see it :p

1st attempt, learned some lessons so will def get an improved version sometime in the future.

Attachments

• IMG_20201017_110242.jpg
    IMG_20201017_110242.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_20201017_122013.jpg
    IMG_20201017_122013.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:

AlphaJohn

Executive Member

They saw us coming :(
At least mine saw 3 x 4 hour shifts... so I know it works well when needed.

AlphaJohn

Executive Member
Cost of your setup? Actually like it more than GeeWiz

Bar the 4 wheels that was (R37 each) it was free as I used offcuts from work , hence "ghetto" :)

If you want something like that PM me.

That's beautiful man, what is ACM?

aluminum composite material

2 x 0.3mm aluminum sheets with rubber compound in-between. Used mostly in building cladding and signage. If you goto most motor dealerships and so on you see paneling done with it. example : click here

Last edited:

dotcat

New batteries went in today - charged for 5 mins then stopped at 27.4v so inverter seems to be fine.

AlphaJohn

Executive Member
In true opensource fashion I uploaded my second version's svg artwork over here if anyone wanna cut their own
Corel or Cad files available on request.

Box.jpg

I am just waiting for my volt meters to arrive so I can get proper size for fitting em into the box

Ver2: I decided not to give wheels a fixed hight, this way the box go flat on the ground and when I wanna move it I simply lift the top section pushing the wheels out so it can have better clearance.

Last edited: