TheChamp

Honorary Master
I heard from an electrical guy that it is good to fuse both negative and positive? Necessary or just overkill?
It's an overkill, but most big fused isolators comes in two poles, that's why both poles are fused, the could be some other reasons applicable somewhere else but in this instance it makes no difference.

AlphaJohn

Executive Member
I heard from an electrical guy that it is good to fuse both negative and positive? Necessary or just overkill?
Overkill if you ask me. Once circuit is cut the electrons have no where to go.

I only use 60 A DC breaker and no fuse (I see a fuse as a breaker you cant reset)
Note DO NOT use a AC breaker as it needs a magnet to kill flame and AC aint have em. AC breaker is a nice way to make a fire.

Also I went under the 70 odd recommended as I rather, it trips than my inverter or wire go up in flame.

dammert89

Overkill if you ask me. Once circuit is cut the electrons have no where to go.

I only use 60 A DC breaker and no fuse (I see a fuse as a breaker you cant reset)
Note DO NOT use a AC breaker as it needs a magnet to kill flame and AC aint have em. AC breaker is a nice way to make a fire.

Also I went under the 70 odd recommended as I rather, it trips than my inverter or wire go up in flame.
Jip, know not to use an AC breaker.

So you reckon I will be fine with a 50A breaker?

dammert89

Hey guys.
Thanks for everyone's input. System is up and and running, hoping for loadshedding.

Still got a couple of things I want to do (rack mount bracket for inverter)

Any ideas or tips will be great.
IMG_20210129_224727.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20210129_230127.jpg
    IMG_20210129_230127.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 49
  • IMG_20210129_230142.jpg
    IMG_20210129_230142.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 46
  • IMG_20210129_230158.jpg
    IMG_20210129_230158.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 47

dunkyd

Executive Member
A quick tip. Had my Mecer setup since long before loadshedding was popular.
Mecer told me only use 10a when running 1 battery ie 12 volt.
I added a Bushpower Eco solar panel and controller for R600 and haven't had to use mains ever since.
Mecer also said run your setup monthly if no loadshedding to "work" your battery for 3/4 hours.
We run LED lights every night.

AlphaJohn

Executive Member
A question was raised on Mercer & generator by @wingnut771

I only did a small test with this generator that was not accepted by the inverter.

Not an Issue for me as I opted to go for 2 x 300W solar panels and generator only used for Microwave and Fridge if power is 2 long.

Just want to know if anyone else had better luck and if so what did you use?

TheChamp

Honorary Master

I only did a small test with this generator that was not accepted by the inverter.

Not an Issue for me as I opted to go for 2 x 300W solar panels and generator only used for Microwave and Fridge if power is 2 long.

I tried powering mine with a pure sine wave inverter, it works, only problem is that the PSW inverter is only 600W so it goes into overload mode.

Grouter

Expert Member

My 16 kva diesel genset can't maintain a steady frequency. No automatic voltage regulation. If the Hertz goes to 52, then the Mecer says "no go" and goes to battery mode like there's no mains. I load up the Gennie, the frequency drops to 50, then the Mecer is happy and thinks it's 'clean' mains power.
It's really no longer an issue for me as I never use the generator since getting my little Mecer setup. Also have a pair of PV panels for those long dreamy sunny days without power... :p

My generator came from a squid fishing boat where it used to run the lights all night. So constant load and no need for AVR:

squid-fishing-boat-equipped-with-powerful-lights-dodong-ri-harbor-ADR54A.jpg

Last edited:

wingnut771

Honorary Master

Maybe try adding a load to the genny before plugging in the mecer?

EDIT: I see @Grouter beat me to it.

AlphaJohn

Executive Member
Maybe try adding a load to the genny before plugging in the mecer?

EDIT: I see @Grouter beat me to it.

I only had the inverter on the genny for the test cause I was worried that charging would kill the genny (2 much load)

Would be kak funny that it failed cause of lack of load. Might do a test again on the weekend with a fan or 2 just for science as I am happy with my set-up how it is now.

dotcat

Where is the best place in KZN to try and get the inverter repaired- gecko shorted out one of the main transformers....

RedViking

Nord of the South
Oooh nice Watt + Hour uptime to AH calculator that take battery type into account ova here

View attachment 1011212
Me like... esp to use to help/recommend to people on what to look at getting. (Got same answers as what I use)

Bruv thanks, gonna add it to the OP Q&A.

Another calculator to check what size battery you probably need, thanks @AlphaJohn :

AlphaJohn

Executive Member
I like how it factors in the C load rating.
I just like it cause its the 1st "calculator" where the results was equal or close to what real world experience taught me. Well minus efficiency but seeing that efficiency is directly related to temperature that changes as you use it I can understand why its not in the calculation. :)

On Mercer I would just add 13% (ie: 87% efficiency rating) to whatever battery it gives to be on par. So 400W = 220Ah would be better

edit: I have 210Ah and find if I stick to 385W or bellow I hit that 50% dead on in 4 hours.

Last edited:

AlphaJohn

Executive Member
Everybody ready for stage 2 this weekend? I wish I was, but my 1 battery seems to have kicked the bucket

Depends if my gas arrives today. Power Im ready. Cooking, not so much.

Worse case I move a fire under the carport and braai enough for 2 days :D