JAP

Company Rep
Okay, sounds like a short on the AC side, check the inverter at the back, some have a pop out safety switch.
I think the reset I found must be the safety switch...it has nothing else.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
I am back. So after I unscrewed the casing and lifted out the inverter I saw a little hole on the side that gives you access to the reset button (LOL), but alas I tried a few times, no life....
Have you tried pushing the power button? Mecer says it's supposed to have short circuit protection.

Plug it in and push the power button and see. If that does not solve it continue dismantling the unit, it must have blow some fuses inside.

Reactions: JAP

AlphaJohn

Executive Member
I am back. So after I unscrewed the casing and lifted out the inverter I saw a little hole on the side that gives you access to the reset button (LOL), but alas I tried a few times, no life....

Not sure about encased units but new ones have a fuse that would have gone with a short.

And people wonder why I have surge plugs and Multiplugs with their own trips.... eish.

Edit: PS I also did start with plain plugs till a certain Sonoff indecent some here might remember... since then I kinda gone overboard just to be safe.

JAP

Company Rep
Have you tried pushing the power button? Mecer says it's supposed to have short circuit protection.

Plug it in and push the power button and see. If that does not solve it continue dismantling the unit, it must have blow some fuses inside.
Thank you! I did try the power button a few times, whilst plugged in and not. I also thought it was just some protection and all will be well in the end. I am just not so sure about that distinct burning smell of last night. That makes me think the fuse line of thought is probably correct.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
Thank you! I did try the power button a few times, whilst plugged in and not. I also thought it was just some protection and all will be well in the end. I am just not so sure about that distinct burning smell of last night. That makes me think the fuse line of thought is probably correct.
Dismantle it, it will probably be a quick fix, it has fuses inside, sure one of them popped.

AlphaJohn

Executive Member
Maybe try adding a load to the genny before plugging in the mecer?

EDIT: I see @Grouter beat me to it.

You where right....

Used a Kill-A-Watt in my experiment.

Running Generator -> Mercer. Kill-A-Watt reads f all
Plug in a fan on generator, it revs up and Mercer picked up the fking power and switched to mains.
Kill-A-Watt reads full 527W !!!!!

So there you have it...Let this be a lessen for others. Just add a simple bloody 40W load to get gennie running :)

Edit: Fan is off now and Mercer still charging...

mister

Executive Member
Mine is all encased in the the trolley. Let me unscrew the casing and see. I can't reach an untimely death, by doing this?

Yes you can shock yourself. The capacitors hold a charge so be very careful not to touch anything. I wouldn't open an inverter without disconnecting the AC and the batteries, and using an incandescent bulb on the DC side to discharge the capacitors.

Reactions: JAP

JAP

Company Rep
See if it the reset does not have a fuse inside.
A big thank you for all your help. I really appreciated it. I am going to ask a friend to help me check the fuse situation. I also will use surge protection multiplugs at least in future in between the devices and the trolley. Maybe that would have prevented this.

Last edited:

JAP

Company Rep
Yes you can shock yourself. The capacitors hold a charge so be very careful not to touch anything. I wouldn't open an inverter without disconnecting the AC and the batteries, and using an incandescent bulb on the DC side to discharge the capacitors.
Thank you. I rather stopped the exercise, because when I said I don't have much knowledge about this....I might have over-sold myself. I really am clueless. So I have gone as far as I am comfortable and will get help from this step onwards. Appreciate this input.

AlphaJohn

Executive Member
A big thank you for all your help. I really appreciated it. I am going to ask a friend to help me check the fuse situation. I also will use surge protection multiplugs at least in future in between the devices and the trolley. Maybe that would have prevented this.

Just to help ease the mood...

In my f-up, my house tripped and inverter kicked over to the batteries to make sure that the crappy Sonof that arc'ed? was completely dead in a nice fresh bath of electrons.

The misfire scared me so much that I OP'ed the crap out of my plugs including big-ass earth plugs on mains :D

Edit: got
This Plug feeding a Sonoff POW then the Inverter for in and
2 x Sonoff's feeding this multiplug each For out
The 3rd out is strait to my Network box that have a simple Surge Plug (I dont have a phone anymore the plug was just a left over from ADSL days)

Last edited:

TheChamp

Honorary Master
My favourite electronic component these days is a fuse, i bought a nice MPPT charge controller for a decent amount of money recently, during one of my experiments I somehow swapped polarity on the battery and my new expensive MPPT controller went dead with just the LED showing a fault icon.

Opened the box and found two burnt fuses, new fuses in and it was good to go again. I am now planning to put a fuse on the AC extension cord because it's the only weak link in my system.

crysis

Expert Member
Can you check the volatage of each battery while they are hooked up, but the breaker is switched off and the Inverter is obviosly off. Or do you have to completely dissconnect the two batteries for the reading to be accurate? Would be a bit of a pain to have to constantly disconnect the link between the two batteries every time you want to check their health.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
Can you check the volatage of each battery while they are hooked up, but the breaker is switched off and the Inverter is obviosly off. Or do you have to completely dissconnect the two batteries for the reading to be accurate? Would be a bit of a pain to have to constantly disconnect the link between the two batteries every time you want to check their health.
You can, an individual battery in a series connection will give you an accurate reading.

milomak

Honorary Master
@milomak

How far did you get last night and how's it looking today?
it pulled through the 2.5 hours. didn't check what level the battery got to. i was imbibing so that didn't help.

i notice it is not working ups as we had load shedding at around 4am and i see the computer which is plugged in shut down

Lupus

Honorary Master
it pulled through the 2.5 hours. didn't check what level the battery got to.

i notice it is not working ups as we had load shedding at around 4am and i see the computer which is plugged in shut down
You have to keep the button pressed in.

milomak

Honorary Master
Button on front is offline / online mode. Keep it in / on.

Does nobody read manuals any more?
it's better to learn from people who have a product

i see if i press the button it switches online on and off. what should i have if i want he pc not to shut off?