Looney

Executive Member
You may want to consider the hubble batteries instead of pylontech as they're local and supposedly better quality components and have double the output rating of pylontech (1C instead of 0.5C)
Lol, even more expensive if purchasing 2. I would need a single battery to be capable of providing me with a minimum of 8 hours. If 1 of those batteries is capable of doing that together with the Sunsynk, then that will be ideal.

wingnut771

Honorary Master
Lol, even more expensive if purchasing 2. I would need a single battery to be capable of providing me with a minimum of 8 hours. If 1 of those batteries is capable of doing that together with the Sunsynk, then that will be ideal.
Why 8 hours? You just want to cover loadshedding for now. But yes, 1 hubble can output 5kw at once, you need 2 pylontechs to do the same. As to how long it will last, you need to install an energy monitor and see what your usage is like. Like one of these:

Looney

Executive Member
Why 8 hours? You just want to cover loadshedding for now. But yes, 1 hubble can output 5kw at once, you need 2 pylontechs to do the same. As to how long it will last, you need to install an energy monitor and see what your usage is like. Like one of these:
You keep adding more and more. What else do you want to sell me? Lol!

Looney

Executive Member
True, I only need to cover loadshedding, which could potentially one day be 8 hours lol

wingnut771

Honorary Master
True, I only need to cover loadshedding, which could potentially one day be 8 hours lol
Yeah, but then you need to add a generator to cover the extended outages. :ROFL:

Anyway, without the research, you'll find out the hard way that what you bought doesn't meet the requirements.

Like you buy a 5kw, but your girlfriend boils the kettle while blowdrying her hair while running the hot water to make the bathroom warm all adding up to 8kw and your inverter trips.

Looney

Executive Member
Yeah, but then you need to add a generator to cover the extended outages. :ROFL:

Anyway, without the research, you'll find out the hard way that what you bought doesn't meet the requirements.

Like you buy a 5kw, but your girlfriend boils the kettle while blowdrying her hair while running the hot water to make the bathroom warm all adding up to 8kw and your inverter trips.
Wife. But if she does that, then I'll beat her with an ugly stick. But during loadshedding we wouldn't use that amount. I mean the most important thing for me is to get all the plug points in the house connected so that I can keep all my AP's connected, have 2 TV's running at the same time. Internet of course. All the lights in the house (all LED's). Fridge is not a necessity. Geyser not a necessity. No hairdryer. Aircon not necessary.

wingnut771

Honorary Master
Wife. But if she does that, then I'll beat her with an ugly stick. But during loadshedding we wouldn't use that amount. I mean the most important thing for me is to get all the plug points in the house connected so that I can keep all my AP's connected, have 2 TV's running at the same time. Internet of course. All the lights in the house (all LED's). Fridge is not a necessity. Geyser not a necessity. No hairdryer. Aircon not necessary.
ugly stick :ROFL:

AlphaJohn

Executive Member

I do all of that off 1400 Mercer + 2 x 105AH batteries. (1 x 42", 1 x 58" TV, Xbox, 2 Raspberry Pi's 5 x 6W LED lights 2 Gigabit hubs, WiFI, Laptop and a LTE Modem + Paradox Alarm) fr 4 hours easy. Thats to 50%.

Mentioned before. 1st step is to measure what you wanna power, add some margin and then go shopping. Useless to shop before you even know how much/big you need.

wingnut771

Honorary Master
I do all of that off 1400 Mercer + 2 x 105AH batteries. (1 x 42", 1 x 58" TV, Xbox, 2 Raspberry Pi's 5 x 6W LED lights 2 Gigabit hubs, WiFI and a LTE Modem + Paradox Alarm) fr 4 hours easy. Thats to 50%.

Mentioned before. 1st step is to measure what you wanna power, add some margin and then go shopping. Useless to shop before you even know how much/big you need.
Yeah, just get one of these if you don't want to measure the whole house.

pboy

Expert Member
cooking with gas is overrated. Keep stove on eskom at around R40 per month is a non issue really..
use an induction cooker ( which you soul already have by now ) if eskom goes dark..

pboy

Expert Member
2000w. But that's not the question you should ask. Rather ask what wattage do you usually cook with using an induction cooker.
And that's normally 600w for 10 to 15mins unless you want to cook gourmet multi course meals for an army...in the middle of load shedding...

There's that story that comes to mind...about buying a Rolls Royce to cross the road...

pboy

Expert Member
induction use 1000w

Will kill your mercer 720 instantly and stuck your 1400 batteries dry. gas works
So cook on max wattage? Thats like saying your stove will use 10kw all the time..or your car uses all 200kw on idle lol

Grouter

Expert Member
cooking with gas is overrated. Keep stove on eskom at around R40 per month is a non issue really..
use an induction cooker ( which you soul already have by now ) if eskom goes dark..
Not when you have two would-be chefs in the house, whose one hobby is to compete with each other to make cordon bleu dishes every night. (Not quite, but almost).
Using the oven every second night, and prepping multiple pots on the hob at the same time almost every night, I can't see R40 worth of electricity for cooking alone going very far in our house.