AlphaJohn

Executive Member
So cook on max wattage? Thats like saying your stove will use 10kw all the time..or your car uses all 200kw on idle lol

Erm Max = 2000W

Well if you gonna try 600W level on your induction stove on a 720W inverter that is already running 200-300W (TV and lights) It will die.

What I am saying is
2 Burner: R270
5KG Gas bottle: R500
vs
1 plate induction: R700 + increased inverter/battery size

In my view gas is way better than over specking an inverter set-up for something that might need,

The added bonus is that the gas can be used in a heater come winter months. Not much you induction/oversize inverter is gonna help there.

Edit: Forgot to mention buying all the pots and pans for the induction stove as it doesn't work on normal cookware. <-- yes I did look at induction. Gas works out cheaper and waaaay simpler.

Last edited:

Grouter

Expert Member
We're a 2 person household. Gas water and oven and hob.
We use 9 Kwh of electricity per day.
Our Mecer 2400 with 4 x105 Ah batteries powers 2 pc's, the media centre and TV stuff and internet, and all the LED lights in the lounge / kitchen / dining room. Barely a 25% of it's capacity load.
Last night, I reminded the wife "We're getting loadshed in 5 minutes".
"Oh, really", she replies, sipping on her wine, with a look on her face like "I have no f**ks to give".
I really don't get why there are still some people around who haven't by now made at least some sort of a plan to deal with loadshedding.

Grouter

Expert Member
Gas works out cheaper and waaaay simpler.
Totally agree. After years of cooking on an electric stove, I cannot tell you what a pleasure it was to return to cooking on gas. Total control. Instant heat. No more waiting 5 minutes for the stoopid thing to warm up, and another 5 minutes wait for it to reduce to simmer heat so you can put the pot back on without it boiling over.
No self-respecting cook would want to cook on an electric hob.
Never again.

wingnut771

Honorary Master
2000w. But that's not the question you should ask. Rather ask what wattage do you usually cook with using an induction cooker.
And that's normally 600w for 10 to 15mins unless you want to cook gourmet multi course meals for an army...in the middle of load shedding...

There's that story that comes to mind...about buying a Rolls Royce to cross the road...
For starters, brown rice takes 45 minutes.

pboy

Expert Member
Not when you have two would-be chefs in the house, whose one hobby is to compete with each other to make cordon bleu dishes every night. (Not quite, but almost).
Using the oven every second night, and prepping multiple pots on the hob at the same time almost every night, I can't see R40 worth of electricity for cooking alone going very far in our house.
Hahaha MasterChef count your blessings man! I'd take the extra Eskom bill for those gourmet meals anyday! lucky you!

AlphaJohn

Executive Member
Come winter (Which is around the corner) imma laugh at knobs that don't have a gas option. <-- nuff said

pboy

Expert Member
Erm Max = 2000W

Well if you gonna try 600W level on your induction stove on a 720W inverter that is already running 200-300W (TV and lights) It will die.

What I am saying is
2 Burner: R270
5KG Gas bottle: R500
vs
1 plate induction: R700 + increased inverter/battery size

In my view gas is way better than over specking an inverter set-up for something that might need,

The added bonus is that the gas can be used in a heater come winter months. Not much you induction/oversize inverter is gonna help there.

Edit: Forgot to mention buying all the pots and pans for the induction stove as it doesn't work on normal cookware. QUOTE]You do have a point. Many good ones actually.
But most of those won't run concurrently.

Gas still costs money, just trying not to paint it as the holy grail everyone makes it out to be.

Once you start looking past Eskom for power, tech is not really the issue. It's all behavioural, not running concurrent loads etc etc...training the household on how and when to use it...
Unless you balling but then why worry at all!

AlphaJohn

Executive Member
You do have a point. Many good ones actually.
But most of those won't run concurrently.

Gas still costs money, just trying not to paint it as the holy grail everyone makes it out to be.

Once you start looking past Eskom for power, tech is not really the issue. It's all behavioural, not running concurrent loads etc etc...training the household on how and when to use it...
Unless you balling but then why worry at all!

Look I'm not saying induction suck, Hell all the houses I stayed in New Zealand only had Induction hobs. It was great but 2 things people normally forget about them is:

A) they not as cheap on power as most think. Yes 1000W is less than 1500W but its still 1000W. Where you do save is on time to heat up vs normal stoves, ie water reach boiling temp a lot faster. (about 3 min on induction vs about 7 minutes on a normal stove for the same volume)
B) You need Iron (or magnetic) cookware and here in SA they aint cheap. In fact you sometimes pay double if not more for an Induction pan vs normal nonstick.

Oh and life hint re induction: DO NOT WEAR A CHEAP WATCH/JEWELRY <-- yes I am speaking from experience ;)

Gas cost money (9KG:R250 = about 29 hours of constant cooking) or a month of 1 hour a night on my 2 burner, but if you only use it for heating and Load scheduled cooking like I do it works out handy.

If you going long term (Permanent) I would say Induction > gas for cooking but I would still opt for gas during LS as it will help me cut on Inverter/battery costs.

Edit: I stand corrected. Seems like Induction cookware dropped a hell of a lot in price since I did my homework.

Last edited:

pboy

Expert Member
Yea everyone making induction friendly cookware now.. it is becoming cheaper.

If you use gas just for LS, I agree it can last forever... you wont believe this, but my son is 5. I bought a 3kg bottle with top to warm his food, milk etc when he was a baby.
I still have gas in the tank! yup 3kg, over 5 years and its still got!