Lupus

Honorary Master
I have the 24V with a 100ah and a 200ah battery in series. I know it's unbalanced and a terrible bad idea but what are the consequences when the mecer starts charging? Wouldn't it stop once the voltage stabilizes at about 27.4v across the board or will it fry the battery that is only 100ah ?

Your thoughts.
It should only charge to 100ah

Lupus

Honorary Master
So the 200ah battery wouldn't charge fully is all?
And over a few weeks on trickle charge not eventually ?
In theory it won't, but it is never a good idea as there could be serious issues that can go boom. You would also need a really intelligent charger to sort out both 200 and a 100ah set.

Ivork

Expert Member
In theory it won't, but it is never a good idea as there could be serious issues that can go boom. You would also need a really intelligent charger to sort out both 200 and a 100ah set.
Hmm, OK. Thanks for the advice.

RedViking

Nord of the South
Where is currently the best place to buy good batteries online for my Mecer 2400VA , but still relatively affordable?

I think mine got damage after the last time they ran till the inverter switched off. Not keen to get Enertec again.

I will need two batteries to get 24V. They just so dam expensive. Was also hoping for something slightly bigger than the 105ah batteries.

Captain Beer

Executive Member
I think so. Are they cheaper than Geewiz? As long as it is not the one where the fan stay on all the time. At least with Geewiz you can ask them questions.
With delivery it's going to be the same price, guess I'll be ordering from Geewiz then, let's hope this units lasts more than 13 months :thumbsup:

RedViking

Nord of the South
With delivery it's going to be the same price, guess I'll be ordering from Geewiz then, let's hope this units lasts more than 13 months :thumbsup:
It will last. Its the batteries that can be the issue.

Actually, I think I must maybe just test my batteries and then contact Geewiz.

wingnut771

Honorary Master
Where is currently the best place to buy good batteries online for my Mecer 2400VA , but still relatively affordable?

I think mine got damage after the last time they ran till the inverter switched off. Not keen to get Enertec again.

I will need two batteries to get 24V. They just so dam expensive. Was also hoping for something slightly bigger than the 105ah batteries.
Screen Shot 2021-03-12 at 22.53.43.png

AlphaJohn

Honorary Master

I think my biggest mistake I ever made was going 2400VA. I never use more than 600W hell I rarely go over 320W so 720W is more than what I need, 1440W was pure overkill. Buying batteries and addon's in pairs is something I did not think about when I bought my 2400.

My plan is to buy a Mercer 1200VA (R1800) + 200 AH Mercer LifePO4's (R7000) in second half of the year. Well actually wanna do it before I have to look at a new set of batteries. Will probably flog my current set-up to make up some of the cost.

Last edited:

Lupus

Honorary Master
I think my biggest mistake I ever made was going 2400VA. I never use more than 600W hell I rarely go over 320W so 720W is more than what I need, 1440W was pure overkill. Buying batteries and addon's in pairs is something I did not think about when I bought my 2400.

My plan is to buy a Mercer 1200VA (R1800) + 200 AH Mercer LifePO4's (R7000) in second half of the year. Well actually wanna do it before I have to look at a new set of batteries. Will probably flog my current set-up to make up some of the cost.
The 2400va will actually last a bit longer when you're running the load. 24v is a bit more efficient then the 12v

Grouter

Executive Member
@AlphaJohn : I picked up an almost new 720w Mecer from a client recently, and your comments make me think: Should I retain the bigger unit, or swap it out for the smaller?
My loads are minimal too.
I think, on reflection, seeing as my motto is usually "If it ain't broke.......", I'll just keep it as a spare.

Lupus

Honorary Master
@AlphaJohn : I picked up an almost new 720w Mecer from a client recently, and your comments make me think: Should I retain the bigger unit, or swap it out for the smaller?
My loads are minimal too.
I think, on reflection, seeing as my motto is usually "If it ain't broke.......", I'll just keep it as a spare.
Why not use the smaller one somewhere else? Like keeping the office going, I might get a 720w unit and another 105ah battery just for the office and move the current one into the lounge. That way I'll barely use the generators, even though the last 4 load sheddings I haven't so I'm going to have to change oil.

AlphaJohn

Honorary Master
The 2400va will actually last a bit longer when you're running the load. 24v is a bit more efficient then the 12v

Also: @Grouter

Depends on how you look at it, cause yes:
200AH x 12V = 2400WH and
200AH x 24V = 4800WH

See the problem is not so much the size and more about battery chemistry, why I regret it:
LifePO4 I can use till 10% easy and have 80% dod over 6000 cycles
Lead Acid should stay above 50% and hit 80% dod on 500-250 cycles depends on use.

Lead acid is simply cutting battery size in half so is actually make that 200 = 100AH giving the exact same WH as a 12V 200AH LiFePO4 and I want the comfort of many cycle battery life.

Looking at my history:
On 4 hours I average between 1800-1600WH total
On 2 hours I average between 800-600WH total

Sure I can get 2 x LifePO4's now but that is a capital outlay of about R14 000 and that will give me 400AH at 24V = 9600WH and that is what I call using dynamite to kill a fly approach ;)

I rather spend the R8800 and have an option to get at least half of that back when selling my old unit.

Edit: Subjects I haven't even touched above is that most of the camping & solar goods/meters and adapters are 12V and also I don't have to worry about buying stuff in pairs in case 1 dies or have problems.

Last edited:

Grouter

Executive Member
Why not use the smaller one somewhere else? Like keeping the office going, I might get a 720w unit and another 105ah battery just for the office and move the current one into the lounge. That way I'll barely use the generators, even though the last 4 load sheddings I haven't so I'm going to have to change oil.
'cos the 2400 powers everything I want. The other one is in storage - the spare.
I haven't fired up my genny in almost a year.

AlphaJohn

Honorary Master
'cos the 2400 powers everything I want. The other one is in storage - the spare.
I haven't fired up my genny in almost a year.

You should... at least start it 1'nce a month just to make sure the motor stay's oiled. If you leave it off to long you may as well chuck it.

Unless you gone my route and completely drain both oil/petrol and clean it properly for long term storage.

Grouter

Executive Member
You should... at least start it 1'nce a month just to make sure the motor stay's oiled. If you leave it off to long you may as well chuck it.

Unless you gone my route and completely drain both oil/petrol and clean it properly for long term storage.
Well, I do actually start it every couple of months - just to charge the battery. But for like 15 mins, no load, that's it.

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur

I only fire up my Honda genny once a year too. The petrol in it is about 5 years old now. Still runs fine, lucky me I guess