DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master
Sigh. One of my Vision batteries is boned, must have happened when the batteries were run flat when the charging circuit died. Now with the charger fixed its charging but not lasting even 2 hours now under quite light load.

Anyone suggest a good quality 12V 100Ah battery? I may just go with the Vision ones again, not the batteries fault I wasn't paying enough attention. I'm also a little dubious about using LiPo batteries, I'd have to get cheap ones to make financial sense and then worry about them catching fire.

8ta Network Optimist

cooking with gas is overrated. Keep stove on eskom at around R40 per month is a non issue really..
use an induction cooker ( which you soul already have by now ) if eskom goes dark..
Hopefully nobody with a pacemaker goes near that induction stove. Good luck if they do..

Pulserider

I plan on going for a two battery option route for my Mecer 720W 12 Inverter set up at a later stage. I know that it must be put in parallel because of the 12 V system. I just want to make sure on this sketch is this the correct way where I must put my fuse? Only one needed? Also to jump from the first battery to the secondary battery will this cable work? I will use the one cable that came with the inverter for the first battery. https://www.geewiz.co.za/cabling/12...vwuEbVrULiyu2AlAe3XEUdfGiRnqZQLxoCQokQAvD_BwE

inverter.jpg

Mr Scratch

Expert Member
Morning chaps can someone link to a breaker/fuse they used on their 24V system? What amp rating should I be looking at?

greg_SA

Expert Member
I plan on going for a two battery option route for my Mecer 720W 12 Inverter set up at a later stage. I know that it must be put in parallel because of the 12 V system. I just want to make sure on this sketch is this the correct way where I must put my fuse? Only one needed? Also to jump from the first battery to the secondary battery will this cable work? I will use the one cable that came with the inverter for the first battery. https://www.geewiz.co.za/cabling/12...vwuEbVrULiyu2AlAe3XEUdfGiRnqZQLxoCQokQAvD_BwE

View attachment 1036302
Almost correct - just take the negative from the lower battery to the inverter. See link below...

greg_SA

Expert Member
Morning chaps can someone link to a breaker/fuse they used on their 24V system? What amp rating should I be looking at?
2400 VA @ 24V = 100A (add some headroom, unless you always draw a lot less than rated).

I like fuse disconnects...

AlphaJohn

Executive Member

The manual say 75 Amp DC?. I opted for 62 Amp instead. I want it to trip before damage hit the inverter. Main reason for this breaker/fuse in any case is to prevent fires and wires melting.

Any DC trip will work Just make sure you get DC and not AC trip switch cause AC = fire in DC line.

AlphaJohn

Executive Member
2400 VA @ 24V = 100A (add some headroom, unless you always draw a lot less than rated).

I like fuse disconnects...

Your Inverter will be dead before that 160A kicks in :p

Also see no mention of DC magnet fire draw?

greg_SA

Expert Member
Your Inverter will be dead before that 160A kicks in :p

Also see no mention of DC magnet fire draw?
Sorry, that link was just to show the disconnect/fuse holder as an example - not the fuse rating. However, IMHO, the external fuse is to protect the battery cables, not the inverter. So as long as the fuse goes before the cable heats up too much, it is fine. If the inverter needs a fuse for its own protection, it will have one itself (fitted to inside the inverter).

Grouter

Expert Member
Sorry, that link was just to show the disconnect/fuse holder as an example - not the fuse rating. However, IMHO, the external fuse is to protect the battery cables, not the inverter. So as long as the fuse goes before the cable heats up too much, it is fine. If the inverter needs a fuse for its own protection, it will have one itself (fitted to inside the inverter).
It has four fuses inside. I know. I blew them. They work. ;)

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Just bought one of these 2400va Mecer units with the 600 deep cycle batteries from Geewiz... and the unit was DOA.

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master
Just bought one of these 2400va Mecer units with the 600 deep cycle batteries from Geewiz... and the unit was DOA.

Have you checked all the connections?

Both my inverter/battery units from Geewiz were wired extremely poorly, they both had very loose connections on the battery terminals and the second one wasn't connected at all on the utility side.

It might just be an easy fix.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master

View attachment 1036302
No, bad news to do it that way. Did the original system come with an in line fuse?. Rather parallel the batteries direct on the inverter if there is a connection point that will allow a second battery to be connected to it.
If not, then the better way would be to connect the positive cable from the inverter to the positive of the first battery, and the negative cable to the negative of the second battery with the two batteries connected connected together positive to positive and negative to negative.
This way both batteries will share the load more or less equally.
There is a caveat though. The cables to and from the inverter to the batteries must be able to handle the combined current for both.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master

View attachment 1036302
What is the current cable size for the main battery?

If you are able to parallel the batteries direct on the inverter, then the cables to the extra battery should be the same gauge AND length as the original cables.

IF the batteries are paralleled on the batteries themselves, those connecting cables must be as short as possible and the same length for pos and neg, AND the cables to the inverter increased in size to carry the increased current.
It all depends on what exists now.