LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Have you checked all the connections?

Both my inverter/battery units from Geewiz were wired extremely poorly, they both had very loose connections on the battery terminals and the second one wasn't connected at all on the utility side.

It might just be an easy fix.
Thanks guys, I wiggled it around a bit and it started charging.
Will monitor it and see if it's working properly.

Pulserider

What is the current cable size for the main battery?

If you are able to parallel the batteries direct on the inverter, then the cables to the extra battery should be the same gauge AND length as the original cables.

IF the batteries are paralleled on the batteries themselves, those connecting cables must be as short as possible and the same length for pos and neg, AND the cables to the inverter increased in size to carry the increased current.
It all depends on what exists now.

I must first say, I am no expert :) On the inverter you only have the battery output (+/-). I use the cable that came with the unit and installed a DC breaker on the positive line. The same as the one which Geewiz sold, but shorter in length. I have the all in one units, so I was thinking of getting another small steel cabinet to put that battery in there just outside my unit.

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master

That sounds dodgy. I'd rather turn it off and inspect all the terminals to ensure the connections aren't loose at all before continuing to use it. Poor connections to the batteries can cause issues.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
I must first say, I am no expert :) On the inverter you only have the battery output (+/-). I use the cable that came with the unit and installed a DC breaker on the positive line. The same as the one which Geewiz sold, but shorter in length. I have the all in one units, so I was thinking of getting another small steel cabinet to put that battery in there just outside my unit.
Good idea about putting them in a different unit, it makes troubleshooting easy. Here's a sketch, make sure the positive and negative are equal in length put a fuse on the positive cable and another one on the positive bridge at the batteries for added protection.

BATTER_4.gif

TheChamp

Honorary Master
That sounds dodgy. I'd rather turn it off and inspect all the terminals to ensure the connections aren't loose at all before continuing to use it. Poor connections to the batteries can cause issues.
A loose connection is a fire waiting to happen, I am also totally opposed to the wiggling to make it work method.

Pulserider

Good idea about putting them in a different unit, it makes troubleshooting easy. Here's a sketch, make sure the positive and negative are equal in length put a fuse on the positive cable and another one on the positive bridge at the batteries for added protection.

View attachment 1036462

Thanks! So the one battery will be in the cabinet where the inverter is located and the other one outside the unit in another cabinet. Although the one battery will be closer to the inverter as long as both the + and - cables connecting to the inverter is say 1 meter I am good? If I "bridge" the two batteries with say 1 meter cables I will still be good? Will the standard cables work or should I rather go for something else?

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Thanks! So the one battery will be in the cabinet where the inverter is located and the other one outside the unit in another cabinet. Although the one battery will be closer to the inverter as long as both the + and - cables connecting to the inverter is say 1 meter I am good? If I "bridge" the two batteries with say 1 meter cables I will still be good? Will the standard cables work or should I rather go for something else?
Too long. The battery bridging cables should be a short as possible.
I ask again what are the connections available on the inverter? Are you able to parallel the feeds on the inverter or not? If you are putting the second battery in a separate box, it will be better to parallel the batteries on the inverter and not as per @Champ's sketch.
Will you be providing the second battery with its own DC breaker? If not then parallel the pos feed on the battery side of the breaker. The cables should then be the same gauge and length as the original cables.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Did you do the wiggling to this tune?
Wiggle Song for Children | Wiggle It Dance Get On Your Feet | Wiggle Wiggle Dance for Kids - YouTube

Lupus

Honorary Master
So here's an odd thing, yesterday I was running my 58" TV, Xbox series X on the inverter, after about an hour it looked like it had moved to the 75% block, so I was like hmm time to maybe shut this all down, as soon as I disconnected the TV and Xbox it went right back up to 100%? Has anyone else had that?

AlphaJohn

Executive Member
So here's an odd thing, yesterday I was running my 58" TV, Xbox series X on the inverter, after about an hour it looked like it had moved to the 75% block, so I was like hmm time to maybe shut this all down, as soon as I disconnected the TV and Xbox it went right back up to 100%? Has anyone else had that?

100% Normal...
Thats why you have to measure resting voltage and as per voltage on load and so on.

Over time I picked up I have about 0.7-0.8 diff on load so If my battery = 12.52V I know its actually 12.6V

RedViking

Nord of the South
The Enertec batteries I bought says they have 300 cycles on them. Mine has greeted after 2 years of loadshedding and 2 hours per loadshedding day. After 45 minutes the inverter screams and switch off (20% load)

Is it possible that I have reached 300 cycles from March 2019, considering only 2 hours per loadshedding day?

Lupus

Honorary Master
The Enertec batteries I bought says they have 300 cycles on them. Mine has greeted after 2 years of loadshedding and 2 hours per loadshedding day. After 45 minutes the inverter screams and switch off (20% load)

Is it possible that I have reached 300 cycles from March 2019, considering only 2 hours per loadshedding day?
It is possible yeah, LA batteries are fickle

RedViking

Nord of the South
It is possible yeah, LA batteries are fickle
Okay cool. I won't have a further argument on it then. I will however now not recommend Enertec and 300 cycle batteries anymore. lol!!

Was hoping to get 5 years as per others feedback and experience as well.

Any recommendations for replacement, realizing price will screw me over?

AlphaJohn

Executive Member

Yes

Okay cool. I won't have a further argument on it then. I will however now not recommend Enertec and 300 cycle batteries anymore. lol!!

Was hoping to get 5 years as per others feedback and experience as well.

Which is why I am looking at LifePO4's cause mine is even rated less (250 cycles)

I think the 5 years is cause of lack of schedules... it does seem like I have more power outages now than 2018 or prior

RedViking

Nord of the South
P.S. What is the best way for me to test the batteries and can they be refurbished (no they can't) ?