Mecer 2400VA Inverter (Community Support)

Tinuva

The Magician
Yip, same. My aircon dies and I wake up.

One thing I cannot understand is why a reputable company like SAMSUNG can't implement 4 Bytes of non volatile memory to prevent the damn thing from beeping when it turns on again. It loses all its setting FFS.
Ouch. My York unit goes back to exactly where it was when power returns. Eg. Baxk to same mode, temp everything... Except for the led dimming which is annoying.

PhireSide

Executive Member
My 1200VA jobbie seems to have the familiar high-pitched whine and then a low-pitched sound that almost sounds like a diesel automobile idling at a distance? It's hard to explain. I took a video but struggling to get it uploaded :(

RedViking

Nord of the South
My 1200VA jobbie seems to have the familiar high-pitched whine and then a low-pitched sound that almost sounds like a diesel automobile idling at a distance? It's hard to explain. I took a video but struggling to get it uploaded :(
Does it sound different to what I have posted in the OP.

My inverter is music to my ears.

RedViking

Nord of the South
It sounds quite a lot like the clip at 00:50. If you listen closely you can hear an 'oscillating' sound.
Well there the mic is placed right next to the inverter and the sound will be much amplified.

It should sound like the beginning of the clip when you at your desk or whatever, otherwise I would say there might be something wrong.

The acoustics of the room will also make a difference. My inverter is under my desk in the corner, so it just sound like a convection oven fan or something in the background with a soft buzz..

wingnut771

Executive Member
Ouch. My York unit goes back to exactly where it was when power returns. Eg. Baxk to same mode, temp everything... Except for the led dimming which is annoying.
same with my crappy AUX, carries on where it left off except the nightlight of a light temp readout which was off comes back on, at least i can find the remote to turn it off without turning any other lights on :ROFL:

Paul_S

Expert Member
Let's take Mecer for an example, only one Mecer Inverter is on that list, are you honestly telling me there is something wrong with their other inverters? Why don't they accredit the manufacturer instead of accrediting specific models?

I can quickly see this turning into another corruption enterprise where the highest payer get more models approved.
The inverters need to show that they prevent anti-islanding to a required specification so that electricians working on power lines which are switched off for maintenance doesn't get electrocuted by someone's crappy Chinese inverter back feeding into the grid.
Not all inverters from the same manufacturer implement the same safety features so each model needs to be sent to Germany to test and certify.

NRS 097-2-1 is a national regulation and will be applied to SSEG everywhere in the country so this is not a Cape Town regulation.
Cape Town are just a more jacked up municipality and getting the legal framework in place so people can do solar the right way.
The other municipalities are dragging their feet. :(

It actually has nothing to do with grid-limiting, it has to do with anti-islanding. There are two things the city don't want you to do, the first is spinning the meter backwards, the second is accidentally creating a powered island. NRS-097-2-1 is about the second half of that problem.

The Victron documentation specifically states that a Multiplus combined with a Ziehl UFR-1001e does comply with NS-097-2-1. The Ziehl itself is on the CoCT list. It's possible that adding this device to other inverters will also be sufficient, but I think this has to be tested on a case-by-case basis and you cannot just assume that this is sufficient. I'll attempt to explain my own understanding thereof, which may or may not be accurate.

NRS-097-2-1 says you must have two switches, one of which must be physical (not electronic). In the case of the Multiplus, it already has one electronic switch which is sufficient in some markets (eg the UK), so when you install a Ziehl in front of a Multiplus, you only use the one contact to drive a contactor, though the Ziehl itself can handle two. In other words, the anti-islanding isn't down to just the Ziehl device, in this case it is the combination of the two that is compliant.

Second, purely passive anti-islanding will always have a non-detection zone. As far as I know, if you want any sort of certification, there has to be a measure of active detection in your inverter. Active measures usually means the inverter deliberately leans to the left just a tiny bit so that when the grid goes out it falls off the horse very quickly.

Grouter

Expert Member
Flick the "10a - 20a" charge switch ( at the rear of the unit) to "20a". Does the whine go away? Mine did. The whine is the vibration of a shunt in the charging circuit reducing the charge current from 20 to 10 amps. Your batteries will, of course, charge faster, which is not necessarily good for them...

dunkyd

Expert Member
Mecer told me 8 years ago to only use 10a and my 105 battery is still perfect.

RedViking

Nord of the South
Yes. Slower charge gives the batteries longer life span. 20A is hard on the batteries but the only solution for those who have shorter time to charge the batteries.

thechamp

Honorary Master
It depends as soon as you modify the system and add batteries 10amp might not be enough, especially during load shedding.

Paul_S

Expert Member
It depends as soon as you modify the system and add batteries 10amp might not be enough, especially during load shedding.
+1
Only partially charging and then deep discharging a lead acid battery between load shedding is likely going to kill it much faster than being charged a bit faster than C/10.

The rule of thumb is to not charge at more than C/3 for lead acid although I've seen the C/4 figure mentioned too.
That would be 26A to 35A for a 105Ah battery but I also depends on the battery specs. It should be fine charging a 105Ah battery at 20A.

PhireSide

Executive Member
Flick the "10a - 20a" charge switch ( at the rear of the unit) to "20a". Does the whine go away? Mine did. The whine is the vibration of a shunt in the charging circuit reducing the charge current from 20 to 10 amps. Your batteries will, of course, charge faster, which is not necessarily good for them...
I tried it this morning and all I heard was the fan ramp up much louder. It drowned out the other 'noise' that I am hearing, so it's hard to tell.

I wonder if a good dollop of epoxy in the right area will solve it? Sort of like they do with computer power supplies to reduce coil whine.

Joker

Expert Member
Searched through this thread and although I'm sure it's been asked - is it possible to run a standing fan off this inverter? Don't mind if it shortens the fan life-span..

Nemoneiros

Expert Member
Searched through this thread and although I'm sure it's been asked - is it possible to run a standing fan off this inverter? Don't mind if it shortens the fan life-span..
I'll take that and up the game: I want to run my refrigerator/fridge of a 5kv inverter and few batteries. The basic math to work out the amount of batteries would be useful, at least 4 hours going 6. :eek: (hehe)

Grouter

Expert Member
I tried it. It works. Motor makes different noise than usual and gets hot. Not good. Speakers also hum... modified sine...:(

Gaz{M}

Executive Member
Yes. It's a shitty motor anyway.
But don't try the same thing with your fridge or aircon compressors.

thechamp

Honorary Master
Yes, it can run, I have ran mine on the inverter circuit for a while now, it's still going.

Lupus

Honorary Master
So my ancient 10 year old batteries are pretty poked, but still could at a push get about 2 hours maybe 3 out of it :) but they won't charge fully at all.