Pulserider

That is what I do for now, but I have Home Assistant that alert me when power is off. I can log into HassIO from anywhere and monitor usage and turn off loads depending on how long its been off.

Would love to automate but haven't found a proper solution yet. Thanx to Covid I have not been traveling so not priority.... yet.

How did you set up your Home Assistant to let you know? How does it detect when the power is off?

AlphaJohn

Executive Member
Normal Sonoff switch?
Have a Sonoff POW2 but you can set up automation on anything that sensor state change on power out.

Edit: My code
Code:
notify me:
  platform: pushbullet
  api_key: ******
  name: mypush

automation:
  - alias: "PowerOff"
    trigger:
      platform: numeric_state
      entity_id: sensor.sonoff_voltage
      bellow: 1
    action:
      service: notify.mypush
      data:
        title: "Power is out"
        message: "Eskom or someone is playing with power cause its {{ states('sensor.sonoff_voltage') }} again"

Last edited:

Vis1/0N

Expert Member
I am in a light industrial area that sees stage 3 on occasion - 2hrs with 1 slot on a single day - there was maybe 8 instances of stage 3 impacting during the work week in the past 2 years.

My load will be 35-50W peak, probably 40W sustained on a Intel Nuc and router. A general purpose desktop style 600VA UPS is meant to allow you about 5 or so minutes to save and shut down, so although it has enough oomph for my load at 2 hours it would probably kill the cheapo ups batteries after a few cycles.

I am looking to get the a Geewhiz mecer solution for the 1200VA - between R5000-5700 + shipping for 12V100Ah kit with 200-600 cycles. Would batteries still need to be replaced after 2/3/5/x years for a 50W/h load called in 8 times a year? How about a 300W/h load 8 times a year?

A cheap solution could be to run a cheapo UPS for the occasional 2 hour period, and replace the 12V9ah batteries whenever necessary. Or should I plan for the worse case scenario, and spend the money, and still have to replace 100Ah batteries after x years?

TheChamp

Honorary Master
I am in a light industrial area that sees stage 3 on occasion - 2hrs with 1 slot on a single day - there was maybe 8 instances of stage 3 impacting during the work week in the past 2 years.

My load will be 35-50W peak, probably 40W sustained on a Intel Nuc and router. A general purpose desktop style 600VA UPS is meant to allow you about 5 or so minutes to save and shut down, so although it has enough oomph for my load at 2 hours it would probably kill the cheapo ups batteries after a few cycles.

I am looking to get the a Geewhiz mecer solution for the 1200VA - between R5000-5700 + shipping for 12V100Ah kit with 200-600 cycles. Would batteries still need to be replaced after 2/3/5/x years for a 50W/h load called in 8 times a year? How about a 300W/h load 8 times a year?

A cheap solution could be to run a cheapo UPS for the occasional 2 hour period, and replace the 12V9ah batteries whenever necessary. Or should I plan for the worse case scenario, and spend the money, and still have to replace 100Ah batteries after x years?
The batteries will live a long and a healthy life on that load, mine went for six years on a much bigger load.

Just a suggestion, I have become very averse to the cheap flooded rubbish they put in there these days, I have seen stories of batteries that are dead on arrival and some suffering premature failures, why don't you look for a gel battery with the same inverter?

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
Anyone know what battery/batteries a Mecer ME 2000 WTU UPS uses, and what would be cost to replace these?

Tech_

I have a question, currently I have 1kva offline UPS which gives me time to save all my work when loadshedding happens.
I am thinking of getting an inverter system and checked Geewiz and wanted to know
firstly will the Mecer 2400va 1440W be overkill for running 2 x 24" Monitors, 1 x PC and my router?

Secondly should I opt for the 100AH AGM deep cycle batteries rather than the standard?

Thirdly someone I spoke to recently mentioned if my PC is connected to inverter and power goes there is a split second before it switches over and this will cause PC to reboot and I lose my work is this true?
and also told me I cant use my UPS and would need an online UPS?

AlphaJohn

Executive Member
I have a question, currently I have 1kva offline UPS which gives me time to save all my work when loadshedding happens.
I am thinking of getting an inverter system and checked Geewiz and wanted to know
firstly will the Mecer 2400va 1440W be overkill for running 2 x 24" Monitors, 1 x PC and my router?

Secondly should I opt for the 100AH AGM deep cycle batteries rather than the standard?

Thirdly someone I spoke to recently mentioned if my PC is connected to inverter and power goes there is a split second before it switches over and this will cause PC to reboot and I lose my work is this true?
and also told me I cant use my UPS and would need an online UPS?

Today's PC's have a big enough capacitor in PSU to handle half a second of no power, the inverter switces in 20 milliseconds so a none issue. Only a problem if you push absolute limit of the PSU ie: 220W PSU with a 200W draw.

On the inverter do not look at it as a 720W vs 1440W as you limit is more based on time and battery power, so rather look at them as 12V vs 24V

Rough example:
24V X 100AH = 2400WH/50% Can use 1200WH So 300W's for 4 hours
12V X 100AH = 1200WH/50% Can use 600WH So 300W's for 2 hours

Also note I did not calc efficiency above but 24V have a smaller loss on efficiency than 12V, Pure sine is even better than modified.

AGM has 300/600 cycles vs Lead Acid 200/250 cycles So yes that R500 more for AGM gives you double the life, it is a no brainier to go for them if you can afford them.

1st Step, get a Kill-A-Watt or something, measure actual use, and calc battery size based on that.

Tech_

Today's PC's have a big enough capacitor in PSU to handle half a second of no power, the inverter switces in 20 milliseconds so a none issue. Only a problem if you push absolute limit of the PSU ie: 220W PSU with a 200W draw.

On the inverter do not look at it as a 720W vs 1440W as you limit is more based on time and battery power, so rather look at them as 12V vs 24V

Rough example:
24V X 100AH = 2400WH/50% Can use 1200WH So 300W's for 4 hours
12V X 100AH = 1200WH/50% Can use 600WH So 300W's for 2 hours

AGM has 300/600 cycles vs Lead Acid 200/250 cycles So yes that R500 more for AGM gives you double the life, it is a no brainier to go for them if you can afford them.

1st Step, get a Kill-A-Watt or something, measure actual use, and calc battery size based on that.
Thanks for the info.

Iwojima

Expert Member
Thanks for the info.
Also don't forget that in the above example the 100AH refers to installed capacity, which for the 12v setup you're referring to is 1x12v100ah battery or 2x12v100ah (connected in series) for the 24v system.

Last edited:

Echo500

I got a silly question here

I recently bought a Mecer 1440W inverter and used it a few times with no issues.

My question is: Am I limited to 1440W load when I'm not drawing current from the batteries? Will this trip/overload the inverter in anyway or is it just a straight passthrough to the wall plug when not using the batteries?

TheChamp

Honorary Master
I got a silly question here

I recently bought a Mecer 1440W inverter and used it a few times with no issues.

My question is: Am I limited to 1440W load when I'm not drawing current from the batteries? Will this trip/overload the inverter in anyway or is it just a straight passthrough to the wall plug when not using the batteries?
Yes you are, can't plug an iron or a kettle on it.

_StatiC_

I have two of these and i must say yours is loud. I can barely hear mine. Makes me wonder if mine might be broken. lol, i can hardly hear any fans