Mecer 2400VA Inverter (Community Support)

RedViking

Nord of the South
So my ancient 10 year old batteries are pretty poked, but still could at a push get about 2 hours maybe 3 out of it :) but they won't charge fully at all.
Time for new ones. Batteries are just flippen expensive.

thechamp

Honorary Master
So my ancient 10 year old batteries are pretty poked, but still could at a push get about 2 hours maybe 3 out of it :) but they won't charge fully at all.
You had a good run, ten years is not bad.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Time for new ones. Batteries are just flippen expensive.
Yeah they are freaking pricey :-(
You had a good run, ten years is not bad.
They were industrial ones as well, designed for server rooms. But looking at the prices now it's gonna cost me R4800 for new batteries sigh. I've honestly not really used it properly since once in Decembers load shedding.

thechamp

Honorary Master
Yeah they are freaking pricey :-(

They were industrial ones as well, designed for server rooms. But looking at the prices now it's gonna cost me R4800 for new batteries sigh. I've honestly not really used it properly since once in Decembers load shedding.
What brand were they?

COMPUTEK

Executive Member
So, after 4½ years my 2x Sonic 100Ah deep cycle gel batteries connected to my Axpert inverter decided they've had enough.

These days it drops from 13:5V to 10.7V within ±45min with just a couple of lights on drawing maybe 40W :mad: So yes, the price of batteries makes this not easy :eek:

Screenshot_5.jpg

Should I be happy with the time I got from them ?

Steamy Tom

Executive Member
So, after 4½ years my 2x Sonic 100Ah deep cycle gel batteries connected to my Axpert inverter decided they've had enough.

These days it drops from 13:5V to 10.7V within ±45min with just a couple of lights on drawing maybe 40W :mad: So yes, the price of batteries makes this not easy :eek:

yes

thechamp

Honorary Master

View attachment 778700

No, my cheap flooded batteries are close to 5 years now with no issues.

But did you select the right setting on the inverter for the right DoD and battery management?

Splinter

Honorary Master
/ I've honestly not really used it properly since once in Decembers load shedding.
This is the thing. I'm seriously considering getting an inverter set up, but only if it"s "worthwhile". I can handle a couple of inconvenient load shedding time slots, but if this is going to carry on for the nest few months or longer then I will get it.

So, can I rely on Eskom to be unreliable for a while?

PhireSide

Executive Member
This is the thing. I'm seriously considering getting an inverter set up, but only if it"s "worthwhile". I can handle a couple of inconvenient load shedding time slots, but if this is going to carry on for the nest few months or longer then I will get it.

They have been unreliable since LS hit us back in 2007 and they decided to rather line their own pockets than maintain and expand on their aging power producing fleet.

They have had more than a decade to attempt to fix this, and failed miserably (see Medupi and Kusile). I have zero faith in them and as such am preparing for things to get worse. I am currently looking at supplementing my inverter and batteries with solar, and will incorporate a more permanent solution once we move house (sadly, complex rules are a bit strict regarding solar panels on the roof and solar geysers).

Varktjop

Expert Member

Most definitely

Grouter

Expert Member

See here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_African_energy_crisis
Yes, you can rely on Eskom to be unreliable.

lived666

Executive Member
Interesting but it appears that the Mecer inverter is putting a strain on my batteries, I wonder if its because its on 24/7 for automatic switching when power goes off, but it showed my batteries dropped to 75%, but if I use my cheap non switching inverter, it charges the battery to 100% but I have to do it all manually.

COMPUTEK

Executive Member
No, my cheap flooded batteries are close to 5 years now with no issues.

But did you select the right setting on the inverter for the right DoD and battery management?
The settings was done by the installer. There isn't much to set. what I see is the following (Its a 1Kva unit):
Charging current= 20A
Battery Type= AGM
Bulk Charging Voltage= 14.1V
Float Charging Voltage= 13.5V
Low DC cut-off Voltage= 10.5V

and that is about it :unsure:

thechamp

Honorary Master
The settings was done by the installer. There isn't much to set. what I see is the following (Its a 1Kva unit):
Charging current= 20A
Battery Type= AGM

I think the problem is with that low voltage cutoff, 10.5 is too low for any non lithium battery.

PhireSide

Executive Member
Charging current= 20A
Battery Type= AGM

I see the side of the battery states Gel, perhaps this would have caused issues? As Champ said too, that cut-off voltage was set too low and probably hurt the cells prematurely.

My folks have a setup with some 24V deep cycle batteries, they had the inverter properly programmed and have been running off the same batteries for 14 years now and estimated battery capacity is still around 80%

Napalm

Expert Member
I pretty much have the same setup. got a pure sinewave Inverter also 2400va (max 1200 to 1400watts i think)

Haven't had any issues with it... only thing you have to look out for is the battery's must not drop below the 50%

So if you check your power usage... you must work out that it doesn't consume more than 50% load on your single or double battery setup.

thechamp

Honorary Master
I see the side of the battery states Gel, perhaps this would have caused issues? As Champ said too, that cut-off voltage was set too low and probably hurt the cells prematurely.

My folks have a setup with some 24V deep cycle batteries, they had the inverter properly programmed and have been running off the same batteries for 14 years now and estimated battery capacity is still around 80%
It's a generic term used by the manufacturers that encompasses any enhanced lead acid battery, it's three options, flooded lead acid, Agm and lithium ion, if you have the gel you would choose Agm so that is right.

Splinter

Honorary Master
They have been unreliable since LS hit us back in 2007 and they decided to rather line their own pockets than maintain and expand on their aging power producing fleet.

They have had more than a decade to attempt to fix this, and failed miserably (see Medupi and Kusile). I have zero faith in them and as such am preparing for things to get worse. I am currently looking at supplementing my inverter and batteries with solar, and will incorporate a more permanent solution once we move house (sadly, complex rules are a bit strict regarding solar panels on the roof and solar geysers).
Thing is, the way I see it, an inverter solution is almost a waste of money long-term (assuming De Ruyter actually can fix things).

However, going solar/off grid route, seems more financially sound long term. You cut your electricity costs, and add capital value to your home.

Of course, the horrendous up-front costs might be a wee problem...

thechamp

Honorary Master
I pretty much have the same setup. got a pure sinewave Inverter also 2400va (max 1200 to 1400watts i think)

Haven't had any issues with it... only thing you have to look out for is the battery's must not drop below the 50%

So if you check your power usage... you must work out that it doesn't consume more than 50% load on your single or double battery setup.
He had a good run considering 10.5V is 0% depth of discharge, 4 years means those batteries are good.