Mecer 2400VA Inverter (Community Support)

Tovad

I think any combination of Victron/Goodwe and Pylon/BYD is the way to go.
Forget any battery that is not Li-ion or LiFe

Lupus

Honorary Master
Sure, but I'm talking about a situation when load shedding comes to an end (call me gullible if you wish :) )
So within our lifetimes or when most of the middle class have emigrated?

PhireSide

Executive Member
I was thinking a bit more about this - the only problem with my logic about viability is that about half the cost seems to be batteries. Which need to be replaced; frequency of this depending on usage and some luck. Hmm.
Get a Tesla Powerwall :p

RedViking

Nord of the South

PhireSide

Executive Member
I think the bug has bitten me...I'm already looking out for charge controllers and a decent solar panel that I can use to help charge the batteries with after LS hits :ROFL:

Papa Smurf

Honorary Master
I think the bug has bitten me...I'm already looking out for charge controllers and a decent solar panel that I can use to help charge the batteries with after LS hits :ROFL:
see my post here
seen as you like to tinker like i do (i also run 2x105aH big boys on my UPS) is:-

add a proper solar charge controller like this https://www.sustainable.co.za/victron-blue-solar-75v-15a-mppt-charge-controller.html
and a solar panel (i am assuming your UPS is running 2x12v in series for 24v?)
Then add a solar panel https://www.sustainable.co.za/enersol-265-265w-solar-panel.html

Put a simple on/off switch (bedroom side lamp style is easy) between the solar panel and the solar charge controller. Connect charge controller to your batteries.

Now during the day when ESKOM trips you switch off the UPS at the wall and flip the switch to enable the solar panel.
When ESKOM returns you flip the switch to switch off the solar panel and switch UPS back on at the wall plug.

This will now enable your batteries to deplete less and as a result you will also get more life cycles out of your batteries and will therefore save money in the long run

spiff

Executive Member
Think I've cooked both my 12vdc x105amp batteries.

They won't take a full charge. Indicator stays white.

I've tried a trickle charger and a 5amp charger. Nothing!

thechamp

Honorary Master
Think I've cooked both my 12vdc x105amp batteries.

They won't take a full charge. Indicator stays white.

I've tried a trickle charger and a 5amp charger. Nothing!
What happened?

Lupus

Honorary Master
Okay so the old batteries still allow 45 minutes or more of power, will see if it lasts all the way to 8.30pm

joshuatree

Expert Member
Looking at the batteries issues and recharge time needed when loadshedding goes beyond stage 2, and cost of replacing batteries , I might just continue using a laptop for DstvNow etc for TV viewing.

The Omnipower Ratel keeps the fibre going, no issues.

Gas hob, and enough rechargeable lights, and power banks for phones sort the rest.

Big screen TV viewing would be nice, but not essential - power trolley would just be for TV.

To each his own.

Last edited:

spiff

Executive Member
What happened?
Not sure.
Both inverters will switch off when battery power gets low.

But when I tried to charge them they would not be charge. Charger kept kicking out.

Tried my multi lipo charger which can charge PB batteries and that also kicked out.

Left both batteries disconnected and one took a full charge last night and charge indicator shows green.

The other showed signs of recovery and its on charge at the moment.
Will check tomorrow morning if it's fully charged.

Think maybe they got hot?

The issue now is turn around time.
With double load shedding they don't get time to recover?

Maybe someone can shed some light on the issue?

LerouxV

@RedViking

New to the forum but read through your tread.

My question is how is your batteries holding up?

I bought four Mercer units in March 2019. Now one is giving trouble.

(Mecer 2400VA 1440W 24V Inverter)

It normally lasted 2 hours easily with 75% still full after Load Shedding.

Now all of a sudden it switches off after about an hour. But after load shedding and back on mains it shows battery full and only charge for about 30min and stops. (use to be hours before it stops charging)

Phone computer shop this morning and he told me it’s the batteries and apparently not good batteries but was all he could get hold of in back in March (bought units from him)

Its ECCO batteries? Any why this could only last 11 months with a 25% load on it if there were load shedding?

I paid R7900 per unit back then.

Batteries BA120 ECCO deep cycle was R2600 each and lasted 11 months?

Please feel free to comment and advise. I see him on Monday.