Mecer 2400VA Inverter (Community Support)

thechamp

Honorary Master
@RedViking

New to the forum but read through your tread.

My question is how is your batteries holding up?

I bought four Mercer units in March 2019. Now one is giving trouble.

(Mecer 2400VA 1440W 24V Inverter)

It normally lasted 2 hours easily with 75% still full after Load Shedding.

Now all of a sudden it switches off after about an hour. But after load shedding and back on mains it shows battery full and only charge for about 30min and stops. (use to be hours before it stops charging)

Phone computer shop this morning and he told me it’s the batteries and apparently not good batteries but was all he could get hold of in back in March (bought units from him)

Its ECCO batteries? Any why this could only last 11 months with a 25% load on it if there were load shedding?

I paid R7900 per unit back then.

Batteries BA120 ECCO deep cycle was R2600 each and lasted 11 months?

Please feel free to comment and advise. I see him on Monday.
Yes cheap batteries, you were robbed if they sold it at R2600 each. I bought the 35ah when I started out and they were useless, I did not mind though because they were cheap at some China shop.

LerouxV

Yes cheap batteries, you were robbed if they sold it at R2600 each. I bought the 35ah when I started out and they were useless, I did not mind though because they were cheap at some China shop.
Went back to my original Quote and see he quoted for Royal Batteries but then could not get hold of any, so he put in ECCO.... but did not adjust the price?

Can get Deltec at a good price but are they any good? 11 months is a very short period I think?

thechamp

Honorary Master
Went back to my original Quote and see he quoted for Royal Batteries but then could not get hold of any, so he put in ECCO.... but did not adjust the price?

Can get Deltec at a good price but are they any good? 11 months is a very short period I think?
That is unfortunate as the Royals are much better that Ecco. Yes Deltec is a good brand.

Yes 11 months is bad, have been running my system for close to 5 years now, it came with Energizer and I added 2 more Enertec batteries, it can still handle a 4 hour loadshedding like a champ.

LerouxV

That is unfortunate as the Royals are much better that Ecco. Yes Deltec is a good brand.

Yes 11 months is bad, have been running my system for close to 5 years now, it came with Energizer and I added 2 more Enertec batteries, it can still handle a 4 hour loadshedding like a champ.
Well... me and him will have a serious talk on Monday. I bought 8 batteries for R17 384 and now he tells me its K*K!

COMPUTEK

Executive Member
So, should I then stay away from these ECCO BA120 batteries that everyone is advertising for ±R1500 on just about every classified section on the interwebs ?

LerouxV

Well if you follow :rolleyes: you will see even the guy that sold it to me now tells me is crap.
Will get a clearer indication on Monday what went wrong but from my experience dont waste your money!

MirageF1

Executive Member
My Mecer 2000VA/9AH x 2 that I was initially so happy with has decided to give up the ghost after only 1.5 hrs LS now ... was humming along nicely even after 2 hrs with our CT LS slots previously.

Cannot believe any half decent sort of battery will already be showing that sort of degradation - I've barely had them for 2 months! And all I run off them is my laptop, router (and a 45W fan once or twice to test) .... maybe mine was a dud or the batteries are cheap kak.

Think i'll take them back to the shop..for R1800 no thanks.
Intend on getting a modest inverter/battery setup anyway.

wingnut771

Executive Member
My Mecer 2000VA/9AH x 2 that I was initially so happy with has decided to give up the ghost after only 1.5 hrs LS now ... was humming along nicely even after 2 hrs with our CT LS slots previously.

Cannot believe any half decent sort of battery will already be showing that sort of degradation - I've barely had them for 2 months! And all I run off them is my laptop, router (and a 45W fan once or twice to test) .... maybe mine was a dud or the batteries are cheap kak.

Think i'll take them back to the shop..for R1800 no thanks.
Intend on getting a modest inverter/battery setup anyway.
those batteries are like alarm backup or gate motor, they don't like to run flat or else they get damaged.

MirageF1

Executive Member
those batteries are like alarm backup or gate motor, they don't like to run flat or else they get damaged.
I never ran them flat...the UPS has cut off which never kicked in until now.
Clearly nowhere near the 600W (1200W/2) they rate and advertise..more like 200W!
Might be able to draw 600W crank power but then zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Paul C

I see the 2400va inverter is now on 5 to 6 week back order at Geewhiz. Does anyone know if you can buy them from anywhere else?

MirageF1

Executive Member
I see the 2400va inverter is now on 5 to 6 week back order at Geewhiz. Does anyone know if you can buy them from anywhere else?
I doubt any of the main stores/suppliers/retail shops who advertise on the net....a local decent battery/solar power shop is prob your best bet.
I'm in the same boat.

Paul C

I doubt any of the main stores/suppliers/retail shops who advertise on the net....a local decent battery/solar power shop is prob your best bet.
I'm in the same boat.
Thanks, man. I'll check out local suppliers tomorrow.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Okay so I had to used my inverter to charge my alarm and my router UPS cause they both died after load shedding and than a lightning strike 4 hours later.
The batteries didn't charge properly, so I last resort was just to hook both up to my inverter and ancient batteries had barely anything drawn from it. So it managed to go about 12 hours.

Captain Beer

Executive Member
I wonder what brand batteries my unit has installed. I paid the extra R300 on Geewiz for the deep cycle ones.
I can only give praise so far, the whole setup has far exceeded my expectations.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master

And you want to go back to him? He should replace the batteries for free since charged for royals and gave you serfs.

spiff

Executive Member
So I've joined my 2 12vdc x 105amp batteries together in parallel.

Can I charge them while still in parallel mode?

See pic of charger.

COMPUTEK

Executive Member
Yes you can.

Did you join them correctly? positive from 1 and negative from the second ?

Screenshot_7.jpg

RedViking

Nord of the South
@RedViking

New to the forum but read through your tread.

My question is how is your batteries holding up?

I bought four Mercer units in March 2019. Now one is giving trouble.

(Mecer 2400VA 1440W 24V Inverter)

It normally lasted 2 hours easily with 75% still full after Load Shedding.

Now all of a sudden it switches off after about an hour. But after load shedding and back on mains it shows battery full and only charge for about 30min and stops. (use to be hours before it stops charging)

Phone computer shop this morning and he told me it’s the batteries and apparently not good batteries but was all he could get hold of in back in March (bought units from him)

Its ECCO batteries? Any why this could only last 11 months with a 25% load on it if there were load shedding?

I paid R7900 per unit back then.

Batteries BA120 ECCO deep cycle was R2600 each and lasted 11 months?

Please feel free to comment and advise. I see him on Monday.
Yes definitely something wrong if only used for couple of hours a day. Hopefully still under warranty. Also, the general advice is you don't want to let them discharge more than 50% to keep the batteries healthy. Batteries should last you 4-5 years if looked after.