tRoN

Executive Member
@tRoN said 24V though. I would just remove the problematic battery then if 12V inverter. Having a faulty battery in there is not a good idea anyways. But I get what you say. However, the issue is solved easily by removing or replacing the faulty battery. Which is much easier on a 12V system than a 24V system.

What I gathered from that website is that a single 24v lithium battery like the Hubble AM4 is better than having 2x12v lithium’s as the BMS of one can get affect the BMS of the other that are connects in series

RedViking

Nord of the South
Okay, I'm gonna call it a night.

4h30min in, 230W average, and it went from 27.1V no load, 26.9V with load, to stabilising around 26.3V with load and then ends with V26.0.

Mecer Display still shows 100% Batery.

So according to the Mecer I have not reach 75% DoD yet after 4 hours.

This makes me wonder at what Voltage is 100% (26.9V) / 75% (?) / 50% (?) / 30 % (?)

So I guess I easily have another 2+ hours left for a 230W Load before I reach 75%.

I will have to do another test pushing a constant 400W I think.

now05ster

Expert Member
Okay, I'm gonna call it a night.

4h30min in, 230W average, and it went from 27.1V no load, 26.9V with load, to stabilising around 26.3V with load and then ends with V26.0.

This makes me wonder at what Voltage is 100% (26.9V) / 75% (?) / 50% (?) / 30 % (?)

So I guess I easily have another 2+ hours left for a 230W Load before I reach 75%.

I will have to do another test pushing a constant 400W I think.
That's niiice, would love to know how far it can be pushed. Keep us updated. So glad the looters didn't steal your stuffs.

RonSwanson

Executive Member
My HOA complex's Meccer has been running like clockwork for months now on two Hubble S-100s. It's da bomb, fire and forget. It does what batteries are supposed to do, work with no fuss or bother.

RonSwanson

Executive Member
AFAIK, all hubble (and other brands like pylontech) batteries are LiFePO4, only Tesla is using NMC. Could you post more info about NMC? Always willing to learn new things.

EDIT: I see Hubble AM-2 is 13S (13 cells in series) so you could be onto something here.
Just don't go the battery university, their info on NMC is hugely outdated by about 10 years.

one poster

Do the math:

~200W/24V/0.85 ~ 10A current -> x 4 Hours = 40Ah.

100Ah battery - 40Ah = 60Ah. -> battery is likely closer to about 60% if started with battery at 100%.

Voltage on the lithiums is a very bad indication of state of charge.

So just be careful, if the Mecer only decides to charge the battery based on voltage you can end up with a problem scenario.

1) voltage does not drop low enough during load shedding so the battery does not get charged after load shedding. Inverter (and therefore you) think battery is nice and full. Next load shedding you decide to run extra loads and half way through load shedding battery is empty.

RedViking

Nord of the South
Do the math:

100Ah battery - 40Ah = 60Ah. -> battery is likely closer to about 60% if started with battery at 100%.

So just be careful, if the Mecer only decides to charge the battery based on voltage you can end up with a problem scenario.

1) voltage does not drop low enough during load shedding so the battery does not get charged after load shedding. Inverter (and therefore you) think battery is nice and full. Next load shedding you decide to run extra loads and half way through load shedding battery is empty.
Yeah, something not right there. Today it is showing over 28V, not the 27V it was showing yesterday.

I need a new inverter?

Grouter

Expert Member
Do the math:

This sounds logical.
Probably why even my cheapie PWM solar charge controller has options for lead or lithium (and some other...) and insists this be set / specified.

RedViking

Nord of the South
not necessarily. Just make sure to check how the system operates (know roughly after what kind of load for how long it charges etc.)
Cool. Will check when it stops charging. Started 21:30 last night, currently still charging.

Is it normal for the Voltage to be different?

wingnut771

Honorary Master
Do the math:

I don't think this will happen imho.

one poster

Today it is showing over 28V, not the 27V it was showing yesterday.

Cool. Will check when it stops charging. Started 21:30 last night, currently still charging.

Is it normal for the Voltage to be different?

did the hubble manual give any info on a procedure to follow when connecting the batteries in series and/or parallel?

Many of the "dumb" batteries will usually suggest first charging each battery individually (i.e. on a 12V charger), then connect in series and charge.

You probably received them at about 50% state of charge and the individual charge levels could also have differed slightly.

After being fully charged, the voltage will come down a bit.

wingnut771

Honorary Master
did the hubble manual give any info on a procedure to follow when connecting the batteries in series and/or parallel?

Many of the "dumb" batteries will usually suggest first charging each battery individually (i.e. on a 12V charger), then connect in series and charge.

You probably received them at about 50% state of charge and the individual charge levels could also have differed slightly.

After being fully charged, the voltage will come down a bit.
I wonder if these S-100's should be connected in parallel initially for a day so they can balance before connecting to inverter in series, assuming one doesn't have a 12V charger?

@RonSwanson, did you balance yours?

one poster

I wonder if these S-100's should be connected in parallel initially for a day so they can balance before connecting to inverter in series, assuming one doesn't have a 12V charger?
From what I know LiFePO4 does not "self balance" like Lead Acid. If you do not actively charge them in parallel there will not be any current flow just because one battery is at a bit different state of charge.

Edit: I was talking horse shyte! Parallel connecting batteries at different voltages will have current flow.

Last edited: