Invert0

Hi folks, I have a Mecer IVR-2400 inverter connected to a battery which my desktop pc runs through and internet router and voip phone. I set it up this morning in my room (i don't really have any other choices in the house except my room, converting it to an study/office soon, as I will be sleeping in another part of the house), and all was running smoothly until my room was filled with the smell of what seems to be battery acid, and it has not stopped since. I run a fan, and try to keep the windows open, but does not help. The inverter and battery are on the floor, resting on a big piece of cardboard.

Please help. I'm at my wits end, and the smell is now in other parts of the house as well.
Thanks for any help.

wingnut771

Honorary Master
Hi folks, I have a Mecer IVR-2400 inverter connected to a battery which my desktop pc runs through and internet router and voip phone. I set it up this morning in my room (i don't really have any other choices in the house except my room, converting it to an study/office soon, as I will be sleeping in another part of the house), and all was running smoothly until my room was filled with the smell of what seems to be battery acid, and it has not stopped since. I run a fan, and try to keep the windows open, but does not help. The inverter and battery are on the floor, resting on a big piece of cardboard.

Please help. I'm at my wits end, and the smell is now in other parts of the house as well.
Thanks for any help.
You more than likely there is a problem with one of your batteries which is causing the good battery to overcharge, making it bubble causing the smell.

Remember, series connection, the string adopts the weakest link, so a bad battery makes a bad battery bank.

I would try split the batteries and check their voltages, then charge them separately with a 12v smart charger or if you don't have one, get some car jumper cable connect them in parallel for a day for the 2 batteries to balance then connect back in series and try again while monitoring voltages again. You'll need a multimeter.

Can someone check my work.

wingnut771

Honorary Master
@Invert0, if you need new batteries I would look at 2 of these:
or changing to Mecer 1200 and only having to worry about one battery. Battery should last 10+ years.

RedViking

Nord of the South

Thanks for any help.
Batteries probably dead. Mine (Enertec) started heating up and smelling when the one died. Took a couple of hours before they completely cooled down.

I got the Hubble S-100 from Geewiz as a replacement. Can't say how the batteries or inverter are going to do long term, but so far they working great. These batteries run on a different voltage to the cheap deep cycle barriers, so the battery discharge percentage on the mecer display is of no use. I connected a cheap voltage meter.

Invert0

Thanks people, appreciate the help. I will get it replaced. By the way, I am running one battery.

wingnut771

Honorary Master
Batteries probably dead. Mine (Enertec) started heating up and smelling when the one died. Took a couple of hours before they completely cooled down.

I got the Hubble S-100 from Geewiz as a replacement. Can't say how the batteries or inverter are going to do long term, but so far they working great. These batteries run on a different voltage to the cheap deep cycle barriers, so the battery discharge percentage on the mecer display is of no use. I connected a cheap voltage meter.
and print this out for reference:
1633796405587.png

wingnut771

Honorary Master
Thanks people, appreciate the help. I will get it replaced. By the way, I am running one battery.
"Hi folks, I have a Mecer IVR-2400 inverter" which is 24V (2 batteries)

Then you must have the 1200 one which will be 1 battery.

If its smelling then the battery is toast, no more investigation required.

How old is the battery out of curiosity?

dabbler

Expert Member
If you DO have a IVR-2400 with one battery then you are trying to charge your single battery to 28V... not good.

Invert0

They only gave me one battery. I had a 1200 but it made too much noise. I asked the pc shop I bought it from for a more silent one, and they gave me the LOBO 2400/IVR24000LBKS.

wingnut771

Honorary Master
They only gave me one battery. I had a 1200 but it made too much noise. I asked the pc shop I bought it from for a more silent one, and they gave me the LOBO 2400/IVR24000LBKS.
:X3: Does it work? Sounds like you're charging your 12V battery at 24V. I'm sure they're both are equally noisy. "They" owe you a new battery and correct inverter battery setup.

Grouter

Executive Member
LOL. Sounds like we're charging a 12v battery @ 27v. No wonder you're living in a gas chamber buddy!

Invert0

This is all new to me. They screwed up. I guess if the sales lady wasn't so pretty, I might have paid more attention :D

I'll just ask for my money back on monday. Thanks for all the advice folks. You guys and if there are gals here, rock!

wingnut771

Honorary Master
This is all new to me. They screwed up. I guess if the sales lady wasn't so pretty, I might have paid more attention :D

I'll just ask for my money back on monday. Thanks for all the advice folks. You guys and if there are gals here, rock!
Good luck, hope you come right. :thumbsup: